Become a Certified Project Management Specialist
The Council of Governors (CoG) is established under Section 19 of the Intergovernmental Relations Act 2012 with the mandate to provide a mechanism for consultation amongst County Governments, share information on performance of the counties in execution of their functions, facilitate capacity building for governors, and consider reports from other intergovernmental forums on national and county interests amongst other functions (Section 20).
To enable the Council achieve its mandate and vision, the Council wishes to recruit a results oriented individual with drive, vision and creativity to fill the following position:
CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER/ COUNCIL SECRETARY
2.0 Overall Purpose of the Position and Job Summary
Chief Executive Officer/Council Secretary is the Accounting officer of the Council of Governors and is responsible for the administrative, managerial and other activities of the Council and its Secretariat. He/ She will serve as a Secretary to the Council of Governors.
2.1 JOB DESCRIPTION
Specific duties and responsibilities
(NOTE: Would you like to know the BIGGEST CV mistake you can make? Find out plus the Top 8 Ways To Make Your CV Stand Out.)
Reporting to the Council of Governors, the duties and responsibilities at this position will entail:-
- Implementing the decisions of the Council;
- Facilitating, coordinating and ensure execution of the Council’s mandate;
- Responsible for administration and management of the secretariat resources;
- Provide a framework/ mechanism of embracing Civil Society Organizations (CSOs) as part of governance in the Counties;
- Resources mobilization for the Council’s activities both from National budget and other sources to ensure stability ansd sustainability of Council activities;
- Strengthening strategic collaborations, linkages, networks, partnerships and donor support, nationally, regionally and internationally;
- Formulating and implementing authorization mechanisms;
- Directing, organizing and administering programmes, projects and other affairs of the Council;
- Promoting and encouraging private sector involvement in the Council’s affairs;
- Overseeing the development of short, medium and long term implementation plans activities, infrastructure, staff and budget requirements of the Secretariat;
- Liaison with members in accordance with Executive Committee directions on day to day administration and management of the affairs of the Council;
- Implementing and monitoring policies, strategies and decisions of the Committee;
- Developing policies, tools and guidelines designed to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of Council operations;
- Ensure continuous capacity building support to Counties.
- Any other duty as may be assigned by the Council.
2.2 Minimum Qualifications and Exeprience:
A Master’s Degree in Public Policy and Administration, Law, Economics, Development Studies, International Relations, or any other relevant field.
• A minimum of ten (10) years experience in Sector coordination or relevant assignments.
• Strong leadership capacities and a demonstrated record of successful leadership of multi- disciplinary teams.
• Previous policy level work with relevant organizations in devolution.
• Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the Constitution in the Devolution space in the Country and beyond.
• Proven change management and analytical skills.
• Managing multiple donor/partner funded programs in fast-paced high profile organizations.
• Senior-level engagement at National and County Government coordination with high level policy issues.
• Demonstrated capacity for complex policy formulation and stakeholder engagement, advocacy and resource mobilization for the devolved governance functions.
• Knowledge of legislative and public finance issues, procedures and processes.
c. Other Requirements
• Be a Kenyan Citizen;
• Be a member to a professional body and in good standing.
• Be compliant to the requirements of Chapter six (6) and the thirteen (13) of the Constitution of Kenya 2010.
Fluency and ability to communicate in English and Swahili is required.
2.4 Desirable Competencies:
• Accountability – takes responsibility for action and manages constructive criticisms;
• Client Orientation – works effectively well with CoG clients and stakeholders;
• Continuous Learning – promotes continuous learning for self and others;
• Communication – listens and communicates clearly, adapting delivery to the audience;
• Creativity and Initiative – actively seeks new ways of improving programmes or services;
• Leadership and Negotiation – develops effective partnerships with internal and external stakeholders;
• Performance Management – identify ways and implements actions to improve performance of self and others;
• Planning and Organizing – plans work, anticipates risks, and sets goals within area of responsibility;
• Professionalism – displays mastery of subject matter;
• Teamwork – contributes to a collegial team environment; incorporates gender related needs, perspectives, and concerns and promotes equal gender participation;
•Technological Awareness – displays awareness of relevant technological solutions;
• Resource Mobilization– works with internal and external stakeholders to meet resource needs for the Council of Governors.
How to Apply
Interested, qualified and experienced persons should download and duly fill the COG EMPLOYMENT APPLICATION FORM and cover letter indicating clearly as application for the position of Chief Executive Officer in the subject, with current and expected remuneration.
The application for the position must be accompanied by the following documents;
i. A detailed CV.
ii. A National Identity card.
iii. Certified copies of academic certificates.
iv. Certificates of membership to professional bodies.
v. Tax compliance Certificate from the Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA).
vi. Certificate of clearance from the Higher Education Loans Board (HELB).
vii. Certificate of Good Conduct from Directorate of Criminal Investigation (DCI).
viii. Clearance by the Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission (EACC).
ix. Clearance with the Credit Reference Bureau (CRB).
x. Relevant testimonials.
The hard copy application in plain sealed envelope must be submitted and registered at the Council Offices, Delta Corner Towers- Westlands, Oracle Wing 2nd Floor, on or before 5:00 p.m. 24th September, 2019 addressed as, application for the position of the Chief Executive Officer to;
Council of Governors
P.O Box 40401-00100
Council of Governors is an equal opportunity Employer. Persons living with disabilities and Persons from marginalized areas are encouraged to apply. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.