Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Fairtrade Africa Job Opportunities
Fairtrade Africa (FTA) is the umbrella organisation representing Fairtrade certified producers in Africa.
FTA aims to effectively represent and provide services to producers within the International Fairtrade system and to contribute to livelihood improvement of African producers by increasing access to better trading condition and markets. Established in 2005, the FTA directs policy and strategic development of the organisation. FTA has four (4) regional networks – Eastern, Southern, West and Middle East & North Africa supporting producer activities.
Business Development Advisor
TEAM: Eastern And Central Africa Network
FAIRTRADE AFRICA PURPOSE: To improve the socio-economic conditions of African producers through increased access to better trading conditions.
Post holder reports to: Member & Partnerships Manager
Staff reporting to this post: None
Scale Level: Officer 1
Salary Range: KSH 117,420 to 185,915
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
JOB PURPOSE AND REPORTING
Provide FTA producer support services at ground level and provide feedback to Regional Office.
Provide the local FTA members with business growth and FTA information support
The post holder will be responsible for ensuring that the following tasks are fulfilled:
- Producer Support Services
- Provide pre and post certification support to Fairtrade members in the following areas among others:
- Fairtrade awareness and basic understanding of the Fairtrade system
- Building awareness of Fairtrade standards requirements and certification processes
- Guiding applicants through initial certification processes
- Flagging potential Non Compliance before audits.
- Follow-up on payment of certification fees
- Support in delivery of capacity building programmes related to Fairtrade system global priorities
- Membership Data Bases and Local Knowledge
- Develop and maintain a data base of current and potential members in the country
- Establish and maintain close working relationships with member organisations. Be a go-to person on issues relating to FTA
- Collect views and needs of the members and share these at all times.
- Advise the Member and Partnerships Manager on members perceptions and attitudes towards FTA and the NFOs and other stakeholders operating within the region
- Stakeholder Engagement
- Support in identification and mapping of key stakeholders in the country
- Initiate and maintain relationships with local communities, public and government institutions, and educational institutions etc. who have a stake in the plight of the FTA members.
- Advocate on FTA policies and issues with the local opinion leaders and decision makers in close liaison with Member and partnerships Manager.
- Establish and identify local trends, perceptions and players in the local community. Implement risk management and implement optimise on opportunities in the country.
- Influence localised policies and perceptions in favour of FTA and FI systems though the support of Member and Partnerships Manager.
- Project Support
- Support the implementation of the FTA projects on the ground
- Provide feedback on project challenges and recommend remedial actions
- Identify opportunities for new projects, collect data and information to aid in decision making by the line manager
- Provide support to the members in project implementation. Constantly communicate the objectives of the projects to producer organizations.
- Prepare monthly Project reports, budgets and work plans in line with FTA’s planning process and schedules in a timely basis;
- Gather and submit project monitoring and evaluation information for capturing project outcomes, impact and lessons learned;
- In consultation with the line manager, act as an ambassador to the project promoting the project’s scope and the work of FTA including hosting visitors, attending meetings as is when required;
- Provide Administrative Support
- Ensure all FTA procedures and systems are adhered
- Ensure effective exchange of information and development of good practice regarding all relevant issues relating to FTA
- Identify business training and development needs in the country
- Mentor members and potential members on FTA requirements.
- Any other duty that may be directed by the line manager.
- A university graduate preferably in; Business Management, Environmental Management, Natural resources Management, Climate change, Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics, Agronomy, Development studies or any other related discipline;
- Experience in establishing and conducting Farmer Field Schools
- Knowledge in sustainable product assurance schemes such as Fairtrade
- Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to persuade others on the benefits to adopt sustainable farming practices and promote just trade;
- The ability to communicate clearly and tactfully at different levels, both orally and in writing;
- The ability to manage own time and priorities with minimal supervision;
- Fluency in English and Kiswahili is required.
APPLICATION (Deadline 5th October, 2018)
Post holder reports to: Head of advocacy and Partnership
Staff reporting to this post: None
Manager 11: 197,125 to 312,360
BUDGET RESPONSIBILITY: Yes
The Gender Advisor shall be responsible for supporting the Fairtrade system to contribute to gender equality and women’s empowerment through promoting women’s active participation in the operations of Fairtrade certified producer organizations – including small producer organizations, contract productions well as hired labour set ups – and enabling them to access equally the benefits of Fairtrade
- Build and strengthen capacities on gender in the system
- Facilitate knowledge building and mainstreaming of gender aspects across the Fairtrade system and all its members.
- In particular, work closely with the Producer Networks and develop tools and approaches towards strengthening their capacities to support their members on promoting gender, equality and women’s empowerment through Fairtrade and other social, political and economic activities.
- Specifically, support the Producer Networks to:
- Provide information, raise awareness and build capacity on gender across producer organizations
- Produce and disseminate materials that make the case for gender justice
- Training and capacity building support via workshops for Producer Networks and
- Organisations on gender
- Effective Management of the gender specific portfolio with a focus on quality control and learning
- Based on the existing gender strategy and in close collaboration with other programme areas (e.g. Workers’ Rights, Social Compliance), co- design and formulate with producer networks a gender based programme, translating Fairtrade priorities into interventions.
- Effective application of Results Based Management tools, establishment of management targets and monitoring achievement of results.
- Complete gender assessments in each region with a focus on selected value chains, constant monitoring and analysis of the programme environment, timely readjustment of programme interventions.
- Provide regular reports on activities, outputs and outcomes to different audiences.
- Work closely with the Fundraising and Strategic Partnership Unit to enable the successful design of gender-related project and programmes for which external funding is required.
- Proactively feed into unit planning and manage relevant budget lines in line with financial management procedures and requirements.
- Create and Manage Strategic Partnerships
- Mapping and development of partnerships with local/global partners which have context- specific expertise on gender equality and women’s empowerment (in line with global partnership approach).
- Coordinate partnerships ensuring efficient and transparent communication and exchange with partners.
- Mainstreaming gender into Fairtrade’s approach to development
- Work closely with Senior Advisors for Workers Rights and Social Compliance, other FI units, Producer Network Staff, FLOCERT and National Fairtrade Organizations in order to assimilate gender components into, policies, standards, advocacy, producer support, certification/auditing practices, communications, marketing and business engagement. Advice on possible areas for support or adjustments in existing operations.
- Work closely with other thematic areas and standards to fully address gender related matters appropriately.
- Identification of good (gender empowerment) practices and dissemination of findings across the Fairtrade system through guidelines and/or manuals to be disseminated widely across the system (especially among Producer Organizations).
- Lead in organizing relevant events, attend seminars or conferences as required.
Knowledge and Experience
- Minimum 4 (four) years of professional experience in project/programme and strategy design and implementation on gender responsive programming in development and post -conflict settings
- Work experience in multi stakeholder environments
- Familiar working with government institutions and international organizations
- Proven experience combining formal expertise on gender mainstreaming and gender equality with experience of applying these concretely to sector operations, plans, policies and business processes
- Proven experience leading action learning processes, developing gender training tools, and delivering trainings on gender responsive programming
University degree in gender/women’s studies, international development, social science or relevant study field.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a manner conducive to their practical application and comfortable working as part of a team to add value to collective results
- Understanding of agricultural commodity markets and value chains will be an added advantage
- Excellent report writing skills and presentation skills
- Strong understanding of and commitment to gender mainstreaming.
- Excellent communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills.
- Highly developed social skills and ability to listen as well as communicate in different environments ranging from rural producers to officials representing government institutions
- Display cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability
The following are core competencies required for the role:
- Passionate commitment – This competency shows you have a passion, dedication, and proactively can show your support for FTA.
- Embracing change – This competency is about you showing you are flexible and responsive to changing needs. It is about innovating, doing something new or differently.
- Working together -This competency is about how we all relate to one another – either as
- Line Manager and Team, the Team itself, or colleague to colleague.
- Delivering results – This competency is about achieving a high quality of measurable results while at the same time maintaining or even raising, the quality of work.
- Knowledge management – This competency is about working in a way that promotes,
- information and knowledge sharing to the team and our broader network.
Method of Application
An application form (CVs will not be accepted) can be found on the jobs and volunteering page of our website using the link below.
Interested and qualified? Go to Fairtrade International career website on www.fairtradeafrica.net to apply