Become a Certified Project Management Specialist
Mastercard Foundation is a global foundation based in Toronto, Canada with several offices in Africa. Our programs promote financial inclusion and advance education and learning in Africa, primarily for young people, and in Canada for Indigenous youth. The Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company.
1. Regional Director, People & Culture
- Establish a Human Resources function in Africa in close collaboration with the People & Culture Team
- Serve as an HR Business Partner working with executives and senior leaders to advance the goals of the organization from a People and Culture perspective
- Support a performance-driven culture with a focus on our human capital – talent management, coaching and mentoring, business partnering to enable and motivate teams
- Recommend, design and implement new approaches and initiatives to support Foundation objectives
- Ensure the continued development of great HR practices in line with business goals
- Partner with our Talent Acquisition team to help recruit, develop, retain and engage high potential and high performing team members
- Develop great relationships with our employees at all levels to support a high level of employee engagement
- Leverage your networks and experience to bring new ideas and best practice to the fore as we design the future
- Post Graduate degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or a related field and/or a combination of relevant experience and education
- 15+ years of progressive HR experience serving in strategically focused roles. Senior level experience as a Human Resources Business Partner is a must. Global experience is an asset.
- Minimum 7 years of experience leading and managing a team with the proven ability to motivate and energize others
- Extensive knowledge of employment legislation and best practices across Africa with a strong professional network. Good knowledge of immigration and relocation practices.
- Willingness to take initiative, “roll up one’s sleeves”, move with urgency, persistence and speed, and thrive in a fast-paced environment of high demand and change
- Able to navigate a complex organization in transition, bringing a flexible attitude and a growth mindset
- Able to bring creative new approaches and diverse solutions. Willing to take calculated risks to influence the adoption of fresh ideas and approaches
- Strong employee focus with superior collaboration and interpersonal skills
- Sound business acumen
- Well-developed analytical, conceptual and strategic-thinking skills
- Strong judgement, consulting, facilitation and negotiation skills
- Comfortable with all forms of technology
- Able to travel across Africa and internationally
- Fluent in French, both verbal and written, would be preferred
What we are Offering
- A values-driven organization with a compelling mission
- An opportunity to pursue your passion to have impact on the lives of others
- A chance to build a new People and Culture function on the Continent and make your mark as an HR professional
- Small collaborative teams where you can influence the direction of the organization
- Competitive compensation and benefits package
- Professional and personal learning opportunities supported by the Foundation.
2. Administrative Support Assistant
- Act as the office’s first point of contact for any queries and answer internal and external calls promptly and politely.
- Build, liaise and sustain relationships with employees, external stakeholders and general public on behalf of the Country Office.
- Provide administrative support to all Nairobi office staff.
- Manage office calendars including prioritizing and resolving scheduling conflicts as required.
- Coordinate logistics of project meetings and events including room bookings, catering, refreshments etc. Prepare meeting materials as appropriate.
- Coordinate and/or support global travel arrangements including hotel bookings, ground/air transportation, travel itineraries and meeting briefs in advance of all trips. This could also include visas, expense reports etc.
- Manage agenda and take minutes at team meetings. Create, maintain and update the organization of files and records for teams.
- Maintain organization of the database, shared network drives and SharePoint sites.
- Assist with budget preparation and forecasting.
- Assist with special projects.
- Facilitate internal communication within the Country Office.
- Other duties as assigned.
- A College diploma or University degree is required
- Minimum 3 – 5 years of experience in an Administrative Assistant role in a fast-paced environment. Local experience preferred.
- Detail-oriented with a demonstrated ability to consistently and effectively produce high quality work.
- Excellent prioritization and time management skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, exhibiting grace under pressure.
- Excellent initiative and possess a “take charge” attitude and sense of ownership.
- Strong communication skills in English; written and spoken, and ability to communicate in Kiswahili.
- Service oriented with a willingness to take on a variety of tasks/activities.
- Able to work independently with little direction or supervision and possess ability to coordinate and manage multiple projects.
- Flexible and adaptable to changing priorities.
- Proficient in MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Office 365 and SharePoint).
- Professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures and impeccable integrity.
- Ability to set and achieve clear objectives.
- Complete other duties as assigned.
3. Associate Program Manager, Youth Engagement
Knowledge Development & Subject Matter Expertise
- Lead the implementation of core areas of the Foundation-wide research framework.
- Develop and manage strategic research partnerships that generate evidence and insights in our priority areas.
- Provide subject matter expertise regarding the state of evidence and knowledge in key area(s).
- Lead and/or guide regular updates of the evidence map informing our work, scanning the emerging literature and practice for relevant evidence to guide our programs and investments.
- Lead the planning, design and implementation of mixed-method approaches of independent evaluations, including but not limited to, impact evaluations.
Partner and Project Management
- Commission research projects and partners, including drafting Request for Proposals, managing proposal and partner selection, and contracting processes.
- Support and/or lead institutional strengthening initiatives that advance the further development of African research organizations and networks.
- Manage ongoing projects with a wide variety of research partners with a wide range of experience, expertise, and capacity.
- Ensure research compliance with relevant ethical guidelines and policies, including local regulations and Foundation policies and guidelines.
- Contribute to the active management of the Research & Evaluation Database and promote its usage amongst Foundation colleagues.
- Lead and/or support the revision and implementation of Foundation Research & Evaluation policy and approach, including internal guidance, tools, processes, and information management.
- Lead the effective internal and external use of research-related evidence, including the uptake of research results by Foundation teams, both in Toronto and Africa.
- Contribute to a learning culture within the Foundation that is reflective, people-focused, and rooted in evidence.
- Actively engage in writing and dissemination of thought pieces that convey Foundation learning and positions on a range of topics.
- Engage with Communications and Thought Leadership teams to creatively highlight research findings in non-traditional means that target our core audiences.
- Represent the Foundation at relevant sector events, including relevant research conferences, convenings and program-related events.
- Network and liaise with a range of internal and external stakeholders regarding the Foundation’s research approach and priorities, including colleagues, implementation partners, research partners, young people, other donors, and other development sector organizations.
- One position will focus on building partnerships and networks, addressing the Changing Nature of Work. Prior experience/knowledge of issues related to the future of work, including technology, climate change, and scenario planning would be an asset.
- One position will focus on strengthening research institutions and networks. Prior experience/knowledge of institutional strengthening initiatives and approaches is required.
- Graduate degree in a related discipline such as Development Studies, Economics, Sociology, Anthropology, Political Science, International Affairs, etc. PhD degree is an asset.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in one or more core areas of the Foundation’s work, including private sector development, employment creation, financial inclusion, education systems and policy, digital economy, and/or youth development.
- Five – ten years of experience in research and/or evaluation.
- Excellent analytical and interpretive skills with the ability to synthesize large amounts of information and communicate effectively.
- Knowledge and experience in research methods, including qualitative and/or quantitative approaches. Experience with mixed methods approaches and new technologies in data collection, synthesis and analysis is highly valued.
- Knowledge of research ethics, including institutional review boards, government ethics approvals, and integrating ethics considerations in research and evaluation practices.
- Excellent project management skills with a high tolerance for ambiguity, with a proven ability to manage multiple activities in a fast-paced environment.
- Astute ability to adapt to changing priorities within a fast-paced and results-driven work environment with a “roll up the sleeves” attitude.
- Excellent listening and interpersonal skills with demonstrated experience collaborating effectively across multiple functions/geographies with both internal/external partners.
- Deep sense of curiosity with an interest in learning and ability to turn learnings into actionable strategies.
- Exceptional cross-cultural skills and demonstrated commitment to gender inclusion and youth engagement.
- Strong service orientation with experience understanding and addressing user needs.
- Strong written and verbal communications skills in English; French is an asset.
- Conscientious and methodical with an impeccable attention to detail.
- High level of proficiency with MS Suite (Office 365, SharePoint)
- Knowledge of tools and software programs for quantitative and qualitative analysis.
- Professional maturity and sensitivity to working within different cultures.
- Impeccable integrity.
- Willingness and ability to travel, up to 20%.
- Senior Managers: proven capability to lead a team of direct reports.
- You are flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- You possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- You possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
How to Apply