Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Head of Student Life
The Head of Student Life is responsible for overseeing and managing Student Life activities within the Academy as planned for the programs of extra-curricular activities, student wellbeing, and boarding life.
Duties and Responsibilities
- In line with the vision and mission of the Academy, the HoSL will design and implement objectives and initiatives for the strategic development of the Student Life department
- To write, develop and implement policies relevant to Student Life procedures and processes and monitor compliance of subordinates.
- To keep up to date with legislation, guidance, and updates to rules and best practice aligned to Ministry of education/TSC guidelines
- To be a teaching member of Faculty (approximately 4 hours teaching per week)
The operational – extracurricular program
- Along with the Head of Academics, to lead in the design and delivery of the student orientation programs within the Academy
- To design, develop and expand the extra-curricular programs and events available to students
- To coordinate special events at the Academy where student participation is needed e.g., Anniversaries, Form one welcoming party, closing assemblies, Talent shows, etc.
- To take a lead role in the Teaching & Learning Senior Management Team
Operational – student well-being
- Liaise between student issues and counseling team to further develop programs to help the student in their overall experience as needs change
- A member of student Discipline Committee
- To liaise with Faculty staff to regularly review the student code of conduct and to familiarise the residential team on the Behaviour for Learning policy to ensure its exercise within the boarding life of students
- Provide support and guidance to the Student Council and other student groups/clubs as and when needed.
- To lead the Counselling Department to monitor student issues and safeguarding concerns and keep the DTL regularly updated of current student issues
- To lead and manage the Clinic and its staff Operational – Boarding life to monitor student issues and safeguarding concerns and keep the DTL regularly updated of current student issues
- Along with the Head of Academics, to lead an effective and efficient collaboration between Student Life and Faculty.
- To oversee the collate the annual Student Life calendar in a timely manner in collaboration with Faculty department and communicate the same with students and the entire staff body
- To oversee and develop a strong Residential Life program thereby developing a co-curricular, living/learning community in the Residence
- Offer guidance on emergency or crisis situations appropriately as they arise or escalated for immediate attention
- In collaboration with Head of Academics, administers Academy-wide co-curriculum events, including the forecasting, planning, developing, promoting, and evaluation of programs and services that are focused on providing a diverse student body with opportunities for personal growth and leadership development
- Contribute as a key player to the Academy’s management team in its planning, implementation, monitoring, and review of strategic and operational plans, liaising with other managers as appropriate, taking the lead for taught programs
- Provide professional development support and perform periodic performance appraisals for direct subordinates based on the Academy’s Performance Management System.
- Coach and mentor subordinates on a regular basis.
- Contribute in an effective and efficient manner to the recruitment and development of Student Life staff
- Any other added task in line with their role as delegated by their direct line manager.
Academic Qualifications and experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in Education or equivalent, a Master degree in Education is an added advantage.
- At least 5 years in a similar role at a reputable institution.
- MUST be TSC Registered.
- Understanding and experience in applying student development and learning outcomes theories.
- Conflict management and resolution skills, and maintain a strong philosophical base for student activities.
- Ability to think on once feet and provide practical solutions to emerging unforeseen challenges.
- Demonstrated superior organization skills.
- First aid certified.
- Passion for young people and their character development
How to Apply
Please send your applications to firstname.lastname@example.org not later than Wednesday 31st July 2019, stating clearly on the email subject line and on your application letter reference line, which role you are applying for. Please note, only soft copy/ email applications to the address provided will be accepted. No hard copy applications will be accepted or received. Kindly include in your application copies of your academic and professional certificates, testimonials, certificate of good conduct, and detailed CV, contact details as well as names and contacts (telephone and e-mail address) of three (3) professional referees.