Become a Certified Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
Position: Communications Intern
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
About Near Network
Adeso together with other local and national NGOs have come together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
Specific Roles And Responsibilities
- Support development and posting of content for website and social media
- Develop content to populate the NEAR website. This includes regularly creating and editing content for the “Dispatches from the Field” and news/blog sections.
- Keep the reports and publications and resources center sections up to date.
- Support the management of NEAR’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube and other social networking sites.
- Support the development of communication materials
- Maintain an inventory of all communication materials at HQ and in field offices.
- Support in development and maintenance of a suite of materials to effectively communicate NEAR’s mission, vision, main messages and on-going projects to key audiences.
- Conduct weekly media monitoring and share weekly update to NEAR staff.
- Support the Advocacy Officer in drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists.
Skills and Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written).
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar.
- Experience in managing websites and in using social media tools in a professional context.
- Experience and skills in the use of software programs such as MS Word, PowerPoint, Excel, Adobe.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity.
- Familiarity with humanitarian and development issues, as well as a commitment to NEAR’s mission and vision.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting “Communications Intern” in the email subject matter, by 20th November, 2019.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
- An updated CV; and
- An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
- Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.