Entry Level NGO Jobs
Submit CV Here
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
The International Livestock Research (ILRI) Institute seeks to recruit a Science Officer – CGIAR Research Program on Climate Change, Agriculture and Food Security (CCAFS) to provide support to the research agenda and management of the unit, reporting to the Gender and Social Inclusion Research Leader.
CCAFS seeks to address the increasing challenge of global warming and declining food security on agricultural practices, policies and measures through strategic, broad-based global partnerships. The CCAFS Gender and Social Inclusion Unit supports the integration of gender research and capacity development into CCAFS programmes.
- Work with the GSI Research Leader to facilitate GSI research in CCAFS and with research partners
- Coordinate and contribute to research in consultation with the GSI Leader
- Support development of the GSI research portfolio
- Review and synthesize knowledge outputs from research activities
- Manage and support communications with CCAFS, liaisons at other institutions, and organizational partners
- Provide program management support, including activity and budget planning, monitoring and reporting
- Grant identification, proposal writing, and reporting
- Provide inputs for technical papers and analytical studies
- Organise and contribute to workshops, meetings, training and other dissemination events
- Contribute to the preparation of materials and technical documentation
- Represent GSI and CCAFS in national, regional and international conferences, workshops, meetings and other venues and present on CCAFS research for development activities and efforts;
- Supervision of program support staff and consultants;
- Perform other related duties and administrative tasks, as agreed by the CCAFS Gender and Social Inclusion Leader
- A PhD and minimum of five years of relevant work experience involving program management in agriculture, food security and climate change and gender research related to climate change or agriculture;
- Excellent writing, reporting, supervision and communication skills in English;
- Publication record demonstrating innovative and practical contributions to academic and/or applied literature on gender issues related to climate change and/or agriculture;
- Strong organizational and interpersonal skills, and demonstrated ability to deliver successful project outcomes (both independently and as part of a team), prioritizing and organizing own work as required;
- Ability to work in a virtual environment with a global research network
- Excellent interpersonal skills and proven ability to relate effectively with agricultural research and development partners at regional and/ or international levels;
- A high level of computer competence (internet, email, spreadsheets, word processing, presentation packages; databases an asset) is required;
- Demonstrated grant proposal development skills in science and policy relevant to CCAFS;
- Ability to report on research outcomes, impacts and other relevant CCAFS requirements;
- Ability to effectively represent CCAFS in international conferences, workshops and other venues and present on CCAFS research for development activities and efforts
- Willingness to take initiative, work independently and with attention to detail
Post location: The position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Position level: The position level is 5A.
Duration: 2 years with the possibility of renewal, contingent upon individual performance and continued funding.
Benefits: ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes 15% Pension, Medical insurance, Life insurance and allowances for: Education, Housing, Relocation, Home leave, Annual holiday entitlement of 30 days + public holidays.
Method of Application
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV explaining their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above on or before 12 April 2019. The position title and reference number SO/ CCAFS /03/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
We thank all applicants for their interest in working for ILRI. Due to the volume of applications, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.