Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Position: Programme Officer – Human Rights Defenders Department
Programmes Reports to: Operations Manager Location; Head Office
Duration: 12 months
Deadline: 20th December 2019
The Network of African National Human Rights Institutions (NANHRI) is a membership organization for African National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) registered as a legal entity under laws of the Republic of Kenya. Our mission is to support, through national, sub‐regional, regional and international cooperation, the establishment and strengthening of NHRIs to more effectively undertake their mandate of human rights promotion, protection, monitoring and advocacy. Our vision is a continent with effective NHRIs, contributing to an enhanced human rights culture and justice for every African. We encourage and support the establishment of strong and independent NHRIs in compliance with the Paris Principles. We are seeking to recruit a Programme Officer – Human Rights Defenders (HRD) to be based at the Secretariat in Nairobi, Kenya. We hereby invite applications from passionate, hardworking, resourceful, responsible and dedicated candidates to fill the above‐stated position.
Main Purpose of The Job
The Human Rights Defenders (HRD) Programme advocates and campaigns for the protection of HRDs in Africa, facilitates cooperation and solidarity among National Human Rights Institutions (NHRIs) and HRDs in Africa, conducts trainings to build capacity of NHRIs on HRDs, and supports partnerships between NHRIs at National level and national networks of HRDs to build national HRD protection platforms. Working closely with and reporting to the Operations Manager, the HRD Programme Officer will develop and implement strategy and action plan for the HRD Programme in line with NANHRI’s overall campaign and advocacy strategies. Specifically, the HRD Programme Officer shall:
1. Programme Management
- Attend regular programme team meetings, and prepare documentations; Coordinate with other programmes on organizational activities;
- Represent NANHRI in related meetings and forums on HRDs in consultation with the Operations Manager
2. Planning and budgeting
- Assist the Executive Director, Operations Manager and Fundraising Consultant in developing programme planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Draft programme related concept notes and proposals as required.
3. Programme Implementation
- Draft and produce urgent appeal, press releases, open letters, etc. on cases of HRDs/WHRDs at risk as well as a regular report on human rights defenders in the Region.
- Organize forums, trainings, meetings in cooperation with other programmes concerned.
- Support Programme staff on broader programme initiatives, including thematic research and preparation of programme materials.
4. Monitoring, Evaluation and Reporting
- Assist in the overall monitoring and evaluation of organizational plans and budget according to the Annual Work-Plan, Budget and Log frame.
- Participate in team evaluations and follow-ups, as well as self-evaluations.
- Preparing periodic progress reports: monthly, quarterly, half yearly and annually, as required, in a results-based management framework.
- Produce mission reports, including finance clearance after each mission.
Implement other relevant tasks and activities as assigned by the Operations Manager Basic Qualifications and Selection Criteria Education: Bachelors degree or higher in the field of human rights or a related subject such as law, politics, social sciences, international relations or development studies.
- Mature personality with ability to work in a multicultural and demanding working environment with cross-programme coordination
- Ability to work under pressure and manage competing deadlines.
- High-level of self-motivated and positive attitude.
- Strategic thinking and multi-tasking ability.
- Good team player.
- Minimum three years’ work experience in the field of human right, preferably in the context of both national and regional/international NGOs, with at least three years of experience specific to HRD programme/project in Africa.
- Work experience with HRDs/WHRDs at risk.
- Ability to assess and address the security issues of threatened HRDs/WHRDs and familiarity with physical, digital security issues and tools as well as psycho-social wellbeing issues;
- In-depth understanding of the overall socio-political situation and human rights situation in the Africa region, particularly the challenges faced by HRDs/WHRDs.
- Proven understanding of the actual application and implementation of international human rights instruments in a variety of situations.
- Preferably, good understanding of the work and history of NANHRI.
- Excellent interpersonal and public presentation skills both in oral and in written English (French is an added advantage).
- Excellent communication and research skills and the ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources.
- Strong advocacy and lobby skills, and ability to harness and maintain good relations with various stakeholders such as government officials, diplomats, NGOs, NHRIs, media and other relevant institutions and civil society organization.
- Strong technical aptitude and expertise with MS Office tools.
If you possess the above qualities and are interested in the described post, kindly send your application strictly by email to the contacts below, clearly indicating the position on the subject line of the email together with a cover letter and a detailed C.V. The CV should include a daytime telephone contact and names and contacts of three refrees