We Are Hiring!!
Submit CV Here
The Kenya National Commission on Human Rights (KNCHR) is an independent National Human Rights Institution created under Article 59 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 and established by the Government of Kenya through an Act of Parliament (the Kenya National Commission on Human Rights Act, 2011) and in accordance with the United Nations Principles relating to the Status of National Institutions (Paris Principles). KNCHR’s mandate includes furthering the protection and promotion of human rights in Kenya, acting as a watchdog over the Government in the area of human rights, and the provision of Leadership in moving the country towards a human rights respecting state. KNCHR fulfils its human rights mandate through five Directorates including: Complaints and Investigations, Research, Advocacy and Outreach, Legal Services, Regional Services and Corporate Services. The Commission has offices in Nairobi, Wajir, Kitale, Mombasa, Kisumu and Nyahururu.
KNCHR hereby invites applications for the following position:
Assistant Officer -REF:KNCHR/ADM/AO/ VOL.1
Reports to: Regional Coordinator- Coast Regional Office
Location: Mombasa with occasional travel.
Duration: 1 Year Contract.
Gross Salary: Kshs. 81,056.67
Duties and Responsibilities
- Support in building and strengthening partnerships with relevant CSO partners.
- Convene regular partner meetings to discuss critical issues affecting human rights enjoyment in the region.
- In partnership with the Regional team, support the Civil Society partners in advocacy actions to ensure human rights protection and promotion in the region.
- Undertake training assessments and identify capacity gaps of stakeholders.
- Develop training modules in consultation with the Head of PET and Regional team leader.
- Support capacity building and training of stakeholders in the region.
- Represent the Commission in different fora in the region where human rights issues being discussed.
- Planning and implementation of conflict assessments in the region.
- Support resource mobilization efforts to support the work of the network(s) in the region.
- Support all programme initiatives in the region.
- Support day-to-day business in the regional office.
- Prepare and submit monthly reports on conflict indicators and make recommendations for intervention.
- Prepare and submit activity reports.
- Higher Diploma/Diploma in social sciences from a recognized institution.
- One year of service, or similar experience facilitation of participatory processes in a comparable position from a reputable organization.
- Experience with networks, networking skills.
- Understanding of human rights gender, racism, power structures in the region.
- Understanding of conflict transformation and Do No Harm
- Ability and willingness to work independently
- Knowledge of and experience with Mombasa Civil Society landscape and actors would be a plus.
- A good listener and communicator.
- Excellent IT skills/ social media knowledge.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution of Kenya.
For more information about the programmes/departments,visit the KNCHR website www.knchr.org.
If you possess the above qualities, please submit your application manually through the post office or by hand delivery, clearly indicating the position, and the Ref No. on both the cover letter and envelope, together with a detailed C.V, names and telephone contacts of three referees one of whom should be your immediate supervisor, to reach us by 25th March, 2019 to:
The Commission Secretary
Kenya National Commission on Human Rights
CVS Plaza, 1st Floor,Lenana Road,
P. O. Box 74359 – 00200
Please note that it is a criminal offence to provide false information and documents in the application.
KNCHR is an equal opportunity employer and qualified female candidates and Persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
KNCHR does NOT have recruitment agents and does NOT charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process. Report any incident of extortion to KNCHR or to the Police.