Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Adeso is an expanding and vibrant African based international development and humanitarian organization. At Adeso, we work with African communities who are yet to realize their full potential; working inside these communities to create environments in which Africans can thrive. Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. We work to prevent and overcome situations that adversely affect community well-being by: reinvigorating the economy, developing skills for life and work, providing humanitarian aid, and influencing policy.
Communications Intern – NEAR
Starting Date: Immediately
ABOUT NEAR NETWORK
Adeso together with other local and national NGOs have come together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
The Communications Intern will work closely with the Advocacy Officer as well as the Executive Director to support the Organization’s communications needs at headquarter level.
Support development and posting of content for website and social media.
Support development of communication materials.
Support maintenance and updating of the online learning platform.
SPECIFIC ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Support development and posting of content for website and social media
- Develop content to populate the NEAR website. This includes regularly creating and editing content for the “Dispatches from the Field” and news/blog sections.
- Keep the reports and publications and resources center sections up to date.
- Support the management of NEAR’s social media accounts, including Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Flickr, YouTube and other social networking sites.
- Support the development of communication materials
- Maintain an inventory of all communication materials at HQ and in field offices.
- Support in development and maintenance of a suite of materials to effectively communicate NEAR’s mission, vision, main messages and on-going projects to key audiences.
- Support the development of periodic newsletters.
- Maintain a database of available success stories.
- Provide support to projects in development and procurement of communication materials.
- Learning Platform
- Upkeep and update of contents.
- Label current and new materials.
- Create profiles for new users.
- Conduct weekly media monitoring and share weekly update to NEAR staff.
- Support the Advocacy Officer in drafting press releases, responding to media enquiries and building dialogue with journalists.
- Provide editorial support to colleagues for reports, case studies, articles, and presentations;
- Build and maintain a network stakeholders’ database
- Responding to inquiries
- Any other duty as may be assigned.
SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- Undergraduate Degree in Communications/Journalism or related field.
- Excellent communications skills (oral and written).
- Excellent written and spoken English is essential, as well as a critical eye for editing and grammar.
- Experience in managing websites and in using social media tools in a professional context.
- Demonstrated effective organizational skills and ability to handle work in a timely manner.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate tasks to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with respect for diversity.
- Familiarity with humanitarian and development issues, as well as a commitment to NEAR’s mission and vision.
This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the job and the general nature and level of work performed by job holders within this job. But, this job description is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Terms of Reference – Advocacy Officer
ABOUT THE NEAR NETWORK
Adeso together with other local and national NGOs came together to form a global network which was launched in May 2016 at the World Humanitarian Summit in Istanbul, Turkey. The network, NEAR (Network for Empowered Aid Response), is a movement of local organizations with a bold ambition – to reshape the top-down humanitarian and development system to one that is locally driven and owned, and is built around equitable, dignified and accountable partnerships.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Lead NEAR and NEAR Members advocacy efforts and ensure policy positions concerning localization, innovative financing models, and operational development and research efforts, grounded in reality.
- Develop and implement NEAR Advocacy strategy and work plan in collaboration with the Secretariat and Leadership Council.
- Develop and implement NEAR Advocacy toolkits focused on core areas (localization, financing, operational development, and research) for NEAR members and partners.
- Build a network with advocacy and other relevant staff in external agencies (NEAR Members, INGOs, Donors and UN bodies).
- Stay up-to-date on localization conversations at the global, regional and local levels.
- Support information management, ensuring information sharing and timely dissemination, including ensuring highly engaged and responsive social media presence of NEAR
- Work with members on the identification of their advocacy needs and support the drafting of policy papers relating to relevant issues identified by NEAR platforms;
- Represent NEAR externally at policy and advocacy related events and meetings, as well as with outside parties interested in the overarching policy issues regarding the work of both the humanitarian and development community;
- Draft and maintain a clear calendar which are responsive to key events and dates throughout the year; oversee the NEAR website and archival storage;
- Liaise closely with NEAR regional representatives to ensure coordination with regional fora and global advocacy representative’s platforms to ensure messaging is coherent, connected and in the best interest of member organizations.
- Be responsible for arranging and managing monthly meetings, including sharing of meeting minutes and disseminating any information and materials (with consent of member organizations and respect for information sharing protocols defined by the Leadership Council.
- Consolidate minimum standards for harmonization of procedures and standards across the members.
- Develop a resource mobilization strategy for advocacy and policy development issues for NEAR and members
- Draft concept notes and proposals as required in support of NEAR advocacy efforts
- Demonstrated Technical Skills and Personal Attributes:
- Bachelor’s Degree with 7 years’ experience or Master’s Degree with 4 years’ experience
- Confident, mature personality, well-organized, flexible and a good team player;
- Strong ability to build relationships internally and externally such as networking, negotiation and communication;
- Ability to manage stress and meet competing priorities in a timely manner, producing high-quality outcomes;
- Ability to undertake international and regional travel as required;
- Competency in the use of office suites including Word, PowerPoint and Excel, and
- Fluency in English (both oral and written) is essential, proficiency in Arabic, French, or Spanish is an advantage;
COPYRIGHT AND INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY RIGHTS
In consideration of the fees paid, the Consultant expressly assigns to NEAR any copyright arising from the works the consultant produces while executing this contract. All images (whether used for online or print purposes) must however bear the consultant’s photo credit, as specified by international intellectual property rights. The consultant may not use, reproduce or otherwise disseminate or authorize others to use, reproduce or disseminate such works without prior consent from NEAR.
Please Note: This ToR is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the assignment and the general nature and level of work performed by consultants within this job. The ToR is not intended to be an exhaustive list of qualifications, skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
Method of Application
This is a challenging opportunity for a dedicated and highly motivated professional. If you would like to join this dynamic team, please submit your application to firstname.lastname@example.org, quoting the position in the email subject matter, by 29th April, 2019.
Each application should be addressed to the Regional Human Resources Manager and include the following:
· An updated CV; and
· An application letter which should include remuneration requirements and contact information for three work-related referees.
Applications not including all of the above information will not be reviewed. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted. Adeso is an equal opportunity employer.