Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- You will be assigned well-defined strategic initiatives to address risk as well as day-to-day management of legal transactional.
In addition to the responsibilities outlined above, the Legal Counsel will be responsible for the following:
- Provide legal advice on regulatory and legal matters for CMA CGM East Africa Cluster.
- Review and draft major contracts as well as develop templates and standard commercial agreements across our different geographical and operational areas of work.
- Support contract negotiation and collaborate with business teams on developing effective relationships with contractors and vendors.
- Perform due diligence and risk assessment on all major transactions.
- Maintain and manage relationships with outside counsel, vendors, and other organizational partners.
- Support our internal investigations team as needed.
- Advise Human Resources teams on employment law requirements.
- Advise on and institute systems for external compliance.
- Develop internal policies and standard operating procedures for managing legal and operational risk across different areas of business and operations.
- Managing sign off, execution, completion and storage of legal documents.
- Copying, Scanning, filing and indexing of legal documents- agreements and correspondence.
- Primary contact person for the relevant litigation portfolio.
- Receive court documents and maintain litigation related files.
- Liaise with relevant stakeholders in preparing briefs, issuing of instructions, providing statements and documentation as required and ensuring court attendance by witnesses.
- Court attendance as required.
- Maintain and update litigation status report for all litigation involving the business.
- Lead in execution of various legal projects
- Minimum of a Bachelors in Laws Degree from a recognized University.
- Diploma from the Kenya School of Law.
- Must have +3 years’ post admission experience.
- Must have experience working in a corporate legal department/ busy law firm handling commercial law.
- Advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
- Current practicing certificate.
- Prior exposure to supporting business operations within East Africa would be useful.
- Ability to clearly and effectively communicate with senior executives and cross-functional set of colleagues.
- Inherent leadership skills and ability to build effective legal & compliance function with limited resources.
- Proven ability to build strong and effective relationships with clients and internal business partners
- Pragmatic, solution-driven approach.
- Ability to multi-task in a rapidly changing environment and perform under pressure.
- High commitment on integrity with the internal fortitude and genuine interest to uphold and enforce CMA CGM’s standards for the highest ethical conduct amidst all the business pressure.