Work with NGOs Starting Salary- Ksh 200k
Evidence Action aims to be a world leader in scaling evidence-based and cost-effective programs to reduce the burden of poverty for hundreds of millions of people in poorest places. Our two flagship at-scale programs, Deworm the World and Dispensers for Safe Water, reached over 200 million people this year. Three of our programs – Deworm the World, No Lean Season, and Dispensers for Safe Water – have been named “Top” or “Standout” charities by GiveWell in 2018, with Deworm the World being named a Top Charity for the sixth year in a row.
In addition to running these scaled programs, Evidence Action also leverages its unique Beta incubator to explore what interventions with the initial evidence of impact might be suitable for massive scale up to become our next flagship programs. Similar to beta testing for software, we pressure-test interventions to ensure that they deliver cost-effective impact at scale without unintended consequences. To effectively scale interventions that pass our pressure-testing, Beta seeks to understand the mechanisms at work behind compelling results, runs fit-for-purpose experiments to find appropriate models for scaling, and builds service delivery and financing models suitable for the contexts where there is demand. Beta is incubating a diverse array of interventions, including Winning Start, a youth volunteer-led education program leveraging the evidence-based “teaching at the right level” methodology through Kenya’s G-United program.
G-United (Greatness United) is a national volunteer program initiated by the Presidency, led and implemented by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology and supported by Evidence Action through its Winning Start initiative. The program aims to promote national cohesion, improve educational outcomes for children in over 800 primary schools across the country, and create enriching opportunities for Kenyan youth. Under this selective and prestigious program, the government recruits recent university graduates to serve as volunteers in primary schools, where they support remedial education and serve as ‘education ambassadors’ in the surrounding community. Volunteers receive training, a small stipend to cover living expenses, and career development opportunities as a part of the experience. This evidence-based program is adapted from effective government-run “Teach at the Right Level” programs that have successfully achieved impact at scale in South Asia and Africa.
Evidence Action seeks a Senior Associate to lead on internal and external communication for the Winning Start initiative in Kenya: G-United. The Senior Associate should be an exceptional storyteller, with strong writing, graphic design, and social media skills, an interest in technology and a passion for social change. The ideal candidate should be energetic, enthusiastic and possess strong emotional intelligence. We are looking for a team player who can relate to and connect with Kenyan youth, and has a knack for identifying subject matter that will appeal to this demographic.
Duties and responsibilities
The Senior Associate will lead on internal and external communications for the Winning Start team, including drafting and sharing internal team updates, communicating with G-United volunteers, and supporting engagement with organizations, companies and individuals in the public, private and non-profit sector in support of G-United’s program goals. He/she will also be responsible for implementing a focused public relations strategy, public marketing of the G-United brand and management of G-United’s website and social media platforms. They will report to the G-United Senior Manager and will be responsible for the management of the Communications Assistant.
Lead the development and execution of G-United’s digital media strategy
- Develop and update plans to effectively use social media advertisements and track their effectiveness.
- Develop, maintain and update information on the program’s website and social media, including Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
- Manage all communication on social media forums and responding to questions/clarifications from G-United volunteers.
- Manage all communication on G-United alumni connect platforms.
- Maintain and manage G-United’s brand image and promoting program hype to motivate G-United volunteers using social media, including weekly posts and updates.
Lead the execution of G-United public relations & external communication strategy
- Create the culture and mindset of consistently communicating, maintaining and managing G-United’s brand image.
- Implement a PR roadmap based on a deep understanding of the program’s objectives and audiences.
- Develop publicity materials, e.g. partner newsletters, one pager, powerpoint presentations, concept notes, posters, blogs on G-United website, press releases, and any other materials required for external engagement and brand building
- Manage relationships and communication with media, opinion-shapers, influencers and key stakeholders.
- Organize events including press conferences, exhibitions, open days, speaking opportunities and press tours. Represent Winning Start at external events.
- Oversee, monitor/track and document media coverage and brand visibility of G-United.
Lead content creation for communication with G-United volunteers
- Lead on recruitment for G-United volunteers, including advertising in newspapers, radio and at relevant academic institutions.
- Create promotional graphics, videos, multimedia content and other written materials for recruitment and training for G-United volunteers.
- Draft emails and SMS to G-United applicants using Mailchimp and Echo Mobile.
- Manage the content and regular sharing of weekly newsletters to G-United volunteers.
Support technology enhancements for G-United program delivery
- Support website redesign for better communication with volunteers, potential applicants and a broader public.
- Identify ways of social media platform integration in program delivery.
- Manage online professional development content for building G-United volunteer soft skills and employability.
- Coordinate with G-United hotline managers to ensure internally consistent brand management and communication to volunteers.
Coordinate internal communication within the program team and Evidence Action
- Share weekly internal team updates.
- Create a culture and mindset of consistent internal communication.
- Proactively liaising with global communications & other teams to identify opportunities to share lessons from Winning Start.
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree, preferably in public relations, communications, marketing or related field.
- Minimum 3 years’ experience in communications or public relations, preferably in the NGO and/or public sector in Kenya.
- Strong experience in digital marketing.
Skills & Attributes:
- Highly organized, strong communicator (excellent writing and verbal skills), client-facing, rock-star that thrives in building and maintain relationships.
- Sound judgment related to organizational and interpersonal dynamics.
- Solid public speaking, networking, and self-presentation skills.
- Ability to envision, plan and project-manage complex, collaborative projects, with impeccable follow-through on execution.
- Ability to multitask and thrive in a goal-oriented, fast-paced, and entrepreneurial environment, including the ability to be flexible in project execution.
- Strategic thinker with a passion for continuously improving the program and team strategy. Familiarity with behavioural insights is a plus.
- Strong relationships with local and international media.
- Relentlessly inquisitive, curious and skilled at defining answers to difficult and sometimes ambiguous challenges.
- Proven graphic design skills (including familiarity with Adobe Creative Suite, Adobe Spark, and/or Canva) and digital media management skills (including familiarity with social media management platforms).
- Excellent computer skills including familiarity with (or willingness to learn) Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Google Docs, MailChimp, Echo Mobile, Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and various internet and phone-based communication tools.
1-year contract, based in Nairobi. Occasional travel within Kenya.
How to apply
Follow this link to apply evidenceaction.bamboohr.com