Become a Certified Project Management Specialist
Katiba Institute (KI) is a research and litigation institution that was established in 2011 with the mission of supporting the implementation of Kenya’s 2010 Constitution, helping to resist effort to undermine that Constitution, and generally to assist in developing a culture of constitutionalism in Kenya. It undertakes constitutional research, comments on policy and laws from a constitutional perspective, publishes books and other material on the Constitution. A great deal of its work is going to court, to enforce rights under the Constitution and ensure the proper performance of constitutional duties and responsibilities. KI also works to foster the spirit of constitutionalism in the East African region by promoting exchange of academic discourse on constitutional issues and by working with like-minded organizations to secure greater freedoms in the East African Region.
Programme Officer: Research, Civic Education and Capacity Building
The Programme Officer will work under the supervision of the Head of Research and Publication Programme with the key mandate of contributing towards the realization of the vision of the programme and the institution. The Programs Officer will be expected to commit to KI values and objectives, comply with Katiba Institute policies including maintaining confidentiality of KI information during and beyond the tenure of their employment contract. KI also seeks an individual who will devote their time and attention during business hours to the discharge of duties as assigned and diligently serve and promote the interests of KI, including sometimes working for longer hours and participating in local travel when necessary.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Contribute towards shaping a coherent vision for the research and publications programme;
- Support the development of KI’s research and publication’s profile;
- Undertake desktop and field based research on topical issues as determined by KI;
- Support and promote dissemination of research products, including through dissemination of publications, presentations at local and international seminars, workshops and conferences;
- Work with KI staff and consultants to ensure compliance with KI’s policies on quality of research as well as compliance with the requirements of all relevant regulatory bodies;
- Assist in developing and strengthening partnerships with research institutions, government entities, civil society institutions, as well as international agencies;
- Assist in resources mobilization to develop KI’s research and publication capabilities;
- Assist in the development and implementation of a sustainable and effective communication and dissemination strategy of KI’s knowledge products;
- Assist in the development and implementation of the work plan of the Research and Publications Programme;
- Monitor assigned programmatic budgets to ensure prudent use of KI resources; and
- Undertake all such other functions as may be directed by the management and that are within the mandate of the organization and complimentary to the above responsibilities
- A good degree in law, social sciences or political studies or any other related degree;
- Possession of a Master’s degree in a relevant area will be an added advantage;
- Experience in research, writing and speaking on a range of different constitutional, human rights and rule of law issues;
- Excellent writing skills in English. Strong Kiswahili will be an advantage.
- Particularly strong, demonstrated, research skills, using paper and electronic resources
- Experience in working with communities and civil society organizations in Kenya;
- Conviction in and commitment to constitutionalism and principles of human rights;
- Ability to quickly grasp new and complex concepts;
- Ability to work under pressure and as part of a team;
- Ability to balance priorities and co-ordinate work effectively in order to meet deadlines and deal with heavy workloads; and
- Sound judgment and/or temperament to enable interaction with persons from all sectors of society
How to Apply
Please email a cover letter, curriculum vitae and names and contacts of three referees to: firstname.lastname@example.org Kindly indicate the title of the position in the subject matter of your email. The Application must reach us by latest 11p.m. on Friday 20th September 2019
Katiba Institute is an equal opportunity employer. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.