FREE CAREER COACHING for You
Get Your Career in The Right Path
Media Council of Kenya Jobs, 40+ Vacant Positions
- The Media Council of Kenya is an independent National institution established by the Media Council Act, 2013 as the leading institution in the regulation of media and in the conduct and discipline of journalists. The Council is in the process of reviewing its operational structure and consequently wishes to engage various professionals to enhance its capacity to execute its mandate. MCK is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to recruit highly competent, dynamic, visionary and results oriented professionals to fill the following positions:
VA/1. DIRECTOR CORPORATE SERVICES (1 Position-Based in Nairobi) Click here to apply
- Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Corporate Services will provide oversight and leadership to composite services and the professional team that supports delivery of MCK mission and strategy.
- Participate in the formulation and development of the MCK’s strategic plan including monitoring and evaluating the implementation of work plans to efficiently deliver support services;
- Promote a high performance culture and lead the development of appropriate structures, policy and programs that attract a continuous supply of quality talent to implement the MCK corporate strategy and business operations;
- Guide and coordinate resource requirements for efficient office services and accommodation, internal and external communications, continuous availability of utilities and logistics while ensuring compliance with legal and other recognized operational standards;
- Develop policies and guidelines outlining health, safety and security of lives and property at MCK facilities and liaise with security agents to install surveillance and security systems for protection against accidents and hazards, theft, fire, vandalism including unauthorized and illegal entry;
- Institute measures to promote ethical practices and a culture of transparency in the procurement and deployment of goods and services;
- Oversee the installation and functioning of effective Management Information System and processes for real-time access, processing and availability of data and information to facilitate decision making at MCK head-office and field service delivery points;
- Implement enterprise risk management policies and business continuity plans to facilitate proactive response to business threats;
- Coordinate regular Senior Management meetings for planning, performance feedback and information sharing;
- Guide, coach and supervise direct reportees to ensure high performance, discipline and team spirit and effective succession planning;
- Participate in meetings of Stakeholders, Management and Board as necessary;
- Prepare and present performance reports.
- Relevant Master’s Degree Preferably Strategic Management or its equivalent
- Holder of a Bachelor’s degree in Business administration or other related field.
- Diploma in a related field is an added advantage.
- At least seven (7) years’ experience in Corporate Services, Operations, Human Resource Management with Five (5) years at managerial level.
Skills and competencies
- Business management & strategic planning
- Report writing
- Leadership, people management and mentorship
- Familiarity with MS Office packages, Excel
- Knowledge of Government Performance Contracting Process.
- Ability to drive change and innovation.
VA/2. MCK REGIONAL COORDINATOR (4 Positions-Based in Mombasa, Kisumu, Meru and Nakuru) Click here to apply
- Reporting to the Director of Media Training & Development, the MCK Regional Coordinator will oversee activities to ensure MCK presence and that media standards are met in designated area of jurisdiction.
- Act as liaison to strengthen MCK capacity in the designated region and support Media Practitioners to comply with the MCK’s Code of Conduct and report misdemeanour (s) to head office to action;
- Ensure county governments and other Institutions operating in area of respect and uphold the practice of Journalism and free expression;
- Process accreditation requests for onward transmission to head office;
- Manage and monitor resource utilization to leverage available capacities and rationalize regional operations and functions such as Customer Service and Media Analyst for cost efficiencies and the common good of Media enterprises;
- Convene regular business meetings to assess performance and review emerging issues for head office attention;
- Network with county governments and other agencies operating in area of jurisdiction for information that could facilitate the achievement of MCK’s mission of safeguarding media freedom through advocacy and sensitization;
- Guide, coach and supervise direct reportees to ensure high performance, discipline, team spirit;
- Represent MCK and participate in meetings of Stakeholders as necessary;
- Prepare and present performance reports.
- Bachelor’s degree in Social Studies, Business or other related field.
- At least five (5) years’ experience in Management, Operations, Administration, Field Services or related field.
Skills and competencies:
- Conversant with Media Council Act, 2013
- Strong supervisory skills.
- Performance Management to optimize employee productivity.
- Strong presentation and communication skills.
- Analytical mind and strong data analysis skills.
VA/3. SENIOR OFFICER – COMMUNICATIONS & LIAISON (GOVERNMENT RELATIONS, STAKEHOLDER ENGAGEMENTS) (2 Positions-Based in Nairobi) Click here to apply
- Reporting to the Manager — Corporate Communications & Public Affairs, the Incumbent will promote positive relations with government functionaries and enhance public understanding of MCK’s role of creating an enabling policy and legal framework for Media Regulation and Development in Kenya as enshrined in the Media Council Act, 2013.
- Collaborate with the CEO and senior leadership to develop communications strategies that improve MCK visibility and inform, educate and influence public policy to support its mission and work;
- Identify significant media and public policy issues that can be leveraged to support MCK programmes and advise Management with proactive suggestions;
- Monitor and engage with political and regulatory audiences to collect public opinion and views on emerging concerns or specific issues that require MCK attention and response;
- Promote interactive relationships with targeted, high-level external audiences and media;
- Generate communication content and data for update of website/social sites and production/ distribution of publications;
- Participate in development of media and communication strategies and activities;
- Archive and document all communication informational for future reference
- Tracking releases, pitches and developing reports on news media coverage
- Attend functions and other special events to gather data for subsequent communications
- Degree in Mass Communication from a recognized university
- Member of Public relations society of Kenya
- Five (5) years relevant working experience
Key Skills and attributes
- Writing, Computer Proficiency MS Office, Editing, Research, Interpersonal, Analytical, Presentation, Organizational, Integrity, Team player, Public relations and media management skills, Problem solving and decision solving, Well groomed, Agile, Innovative and Creative
VA/4 ACCREDITATION AND COMPLIANCE MANAGER (1 position-Based in Nairobi)Click here to apply
- Administer all accreditation processes ensuring compliance with standards developed by the Council
- Maintaining files and data on compliance with accreditation processes
- Provide advice, support and assistance by interpreting policies and procedures.
- Represents the department at various conferences and serves on accreditation related committees
- Serves as the departments liaison and other related agencies
- Monitor compliance rate among media houses and training institutions
- Develop and implement departmental programs and objectives
- Conduct periodic review and revision of policies and procedures on accreditation and ensure that they are submitted to Management
- Organize, prioritize and assign tasks to the departments members
- Enforce work deadlines as they apply to accreditation
- Prepare and submit reports to the Management
- Creation of linkages and relationships between the Council and stakeholders
- Perform any other duties as assigned or required
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Working knowledge of MCK Act 2013 and accreditation standards
- Ability to work and interpret rules, regulations and policies
- Ability to multi-task and work under minimum supervision
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in evaluation situations and making decisions
- Ability to communicate and articulate verbal and written instructions and procedures
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships
- Must exercise a high degree of confidentiality and integrity.
- Masters in Communication, Social Sciences or any other related field
- Four (4) years’ experience of progressively responsible administrative and managerial work in accreditation and Two in a supervisory capacity
VA/5 SENIOR OFFICER – TRAINING STANDARDS AND CURRICULUM DEVELOPMENT (1 Position-Based in Nairobi) Click here to apply
- Conceptualize trainings and develop courses including lesson plans, training methods and modules and curriculum for journalists
- Facilitates regular research on training and short courses needs of the media and Conduct training for journalists
- Identify, select and supervise training consultants, trainees or other staff.
- Coordinate College Inspection to ensure high ethical and professional standards of journalists training
- Communicate upcoming trainings; produce training materials and aid, including multi-media tools, PowerPoint presentations, manuals, brochures and posters;
- Generate reports from the trainings focusing on training needs, emerging issues and ensure recommendations are acted upon
- A degree in Media, Communications or Public Relations from a recognised University. An advanced degree will be added advantage.
- Three (3) years’ experience in training coordination and professionals.
- Skills and experience in ICT- based applications;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Report writing and public presentation skills.
- Conversant with the current media performance trends and journalism and the training and development needs
VA/6 LEGAL RESEARCHER (1 Position-Based in Nairobi)Click here to apply
- Keep up to date with legal news
- Read legal opinions by judges to make sure the Council is updated with changes in legislation or
- use these opinions and research to provide relevant and timely information to the Council
- Prepare research schedules
- Use the internet and/or libraries to source material
- Analyse material to ascertain its trustworthiness
- Write reports, notes and maintain databases on all the research carried out
- Plan meetings and interviews
- Foster productive relationships with contacts for future use
- An LLB with at least three (3) years relevant legal experience,
- Enrolment as an Advocate of the High Court;
- Superior written and verbal communication skills;
- Experience in legal research
VA/7 ACCOUNTANT (1 Position-Based in Nairobi ) Click here to apply
- Confirming the accuracy and completeness of accounts receivables (invoicing, receipting, banking and reconciliations) and reporting on the same as appropriate before payment;
- Identifying any incidences of non-compliance with laid down financial systems and financial risks facing the Corporation and recommending remedial measures;
- Preparing management accounts and end of year financial statements as well as timely submission of annual financial statements of accounts;
- Reviewing and coordinating accounts analysis and reconciliations (including bank reconciliations) on a daily basis;
Monitoring and evaluating the laid down systems and make recommendations for improving the financial systems;
- Preparation and reconciliation of credit reports Ensuring provision of accurate timely reliable financial information; and Organizing and coordinating responses to audit queries.
- File all Company taxes correctly and confirm the Company is abiding with all tax laws. •
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance/Accounting, including fully qualified in either ACCA/CIMA /ACA/CPA;
- Minimum of three (3) years, Finance experience, with at least 2 being in a similar position;
- Knowledgeable in all aspects of financial institutions and IFRS standards;
- Be a registered member in good standing with ICPAK or equivalent body;
- Proficiency in the usage of recognized computer accounting software and common office applications; reliable experience in a versatile ERP system
- Experience in preparing budgets and forecasts.
- Proficient in numerical presentation;
VA/8 ICT TECHNICIAN (1 Position-Based in Nairobi ) Click here to apply
- Install and maintain ICT Systems.
- Carry out computer Hardware Repairs and maintenance.
- Provide user support ensuring response to requests are timely to ensure minimum disruption to service to clients at all times..
- Software installation and customization including upgrades.
- Undertake daily back-up of information systems.
- Ensure proper functioning of CCTV and Server Equipment.
- Train employees on internet and computer use.
- Control access permissions and privileges.
- Write database documentation, including data standards, procedures and definitions for the data dictionary.
- Spearhead e-government initiatives.
- Prepare ICT equipment specifications for tender documents.
- Develop and maintain ICT helpdesk standards.
- Maintain an efficient database.
- Periodic, planned rollout of system updates and upgrades.
- Test back-up and recovery plans.
- Prepare equipment audit reports.
- Generate equipment obsolescence reports for disposal. Perform any other assignments as directed by Management.
- Diploma in IT, Computer Science or related course and professional certifications (MCSA, CCNIE)
- Minimum of three (3) years of Experience
VA/9 MEDIA MONITOR/ANALYST (24 positions-based in Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu and Mombasa) Click to apply
- Monitoring both print and electronic media on a daily basis identifying issues and trends of concern in the media through content analysis.
- Data collection, analysis and report writing on media coverage of different topical projects based on the code of conduct for the practice of journalism and public interest concerns.
- Undertake individual incidence reports and analysis on media coverage of emerging issues that will serve as advisories for stakeholders based on code of conduct for practice of journalism.
- Establishment of an archive for different projects in the system for all monitored media platforms that will assist in building the resource centre facility.
- Raise issues of breaches of the code of conduct to the attention of the management for action by the complaints commission.
- Prepare and or make presentations before stakeholders on finding of media monitoring reports.
- Formulate the media monitoring programme of the Council and oversee its implementation
- Design and implement qualitative and quantitative monitoring tools for the assessment of the performance of Kenyan media
- Generate reliable and timely monitoring reports and data for the Media Resource Centre
- Writing and producing the annual State of the Media Report.
- Possess Diploma in Communication, Journalism or Mass Communication from a recognized College.
- Be computer literate in all Office Packages.
VA/10 OFFICE ASSISTANT (6 positions -Based in Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu and Mombasa) Click here to apply
- Manage the reception area to ensure effective telephone and visitor handling to maintain professional image of the council.
- Making appointments and reservations both internally and externally for staff in the Council
- Receiving and assisting clients/visitors at the reception, greeting them in a courteous, warm, and professional manner Promoting a positive image of the community
- Receiving, sorting, registering and forwarding incoming mails to the Chief Executive Officer’s Office for action.
- Routinely perform basic typing, filing, and clerical work as requested
- Performing basic office administrative and HR duties assigned.
- Attending to all incoming and outgoing calls of the Council
- Operate office machines, such as photocopiers and scanners, facsimile machines, voice mail systems, and personal computers.
- Possess a Diploma in secretarial studies from a recognized institution preferably KNEC, or Degree in Human Resource/Business Administration.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office to include: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Be excellent interpersonal skills and integrity
- Good command of both English and Kiswahili languages
- Have ability to work under pressure and independently
- Three (3) years relevant experience in a similar position in a busy organization with HR and administrative responsibilities.
VA/11 DRIVER (5 Positions-Based in Nairobi, Nakuru, Kisumu and Mombasa) Click here to apply
- Transport authorized persons for official duties;
- Drive the assigned vehicle ensuring the safety of passengers, vehicle and other road users for the transport of authorized persons;
- Responsible for the day to day maintenance of the assigned vehicle —check oil level, water, coolant, battery, tyre, etc;
- Responsible for the cleanliness of the vehicle including arraigning it for repair using the prevailing procedure;
- Log official trips as per government procedure and policies including mileage, consumption, route etc.;
- Ensure vehicle documents are current including display of insurance cover at all times observe traffic rules and regulations;
- Maintain confidentiality of passenger conversations /discussions;
- Report accidents or incidents immediately to the supervisor and ensure that steps required by rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident.
- Possess a KCSE certificate D plain or its KNEC accepted equivalent
- Possess a clean driving license free from any endorsement;
- Three years (3) proven driving experience
- Have adequate knowledge of the highway code;
- Have Government Trade test III;
- Have knowledge of driving rules and conversant with road security code.
- Have a valid certificate of good conduct from Kenya Police renewable every two years.
Shortlisted candidates for VA/1 must obtain clearance from the following:
- Kenya Revenue Authority;
- Higher Education Loans Board;
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission;
- Certificate from a reputable Credit Reference Bureau;
- Certificate of Good Conduct from the Directorate of Criminal Investigation.
- Applicants for positions VA/2, VA/9, VA10 and VA/11 must clearly indicate their preferred station of work or indicate willingness to work in any of the mentioned regional offices.
- Further, all candidates are required to provide their valid membership with relevant professional bodies.
- Applicants meeting desired qualifications should send their applications giving full details of their age, qualifications, experience, present and expected remuneration, full contact address including daytime telephone number, detailed C.V, copies of certificates and testimonials and contact details of three referees.
- Applications should indicate position applied for including the reference number and addressed to:
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO)
Media Council of Kenya
P.O. Box 43132- 00100
How To Apply
- Applications can be sent via the following link: www.mediacouncil.or.ke/careers. In which you are required to provide ALL relevant details by 29th September 2020.
- Alternatively, candidates can send a mail attaching all documents to; firstname.lastname@example.org
- Further details relating to the vacant position are located in our website www.mediacouncil.or.ke.
- NB: Only Shortlisted candidates will be contacted and canvassing will lead to automatic disqualification
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview