Actuarial science jobs, Statistics jobs, Engineering jobs, Economics jobs,
The role holder is responsible for executing the day-to-day tasks/projects of the Actuarial unit by performing data checks and analysis, experience investigations, business projections and valuation of technical liabilities for the assigned LOB.
- Coordinate with the assigned Segment in the preparation of valuation data.
- Timely calculation of accurate insurance technical liabilities provided for monthly financial reporting as well as carrying out Reserve Adequacy Tests. This includes preparation of reports on valuation results.
- Prepare data to inform embedded value and analysis of surplus calculations.
- Timely calculation of solvency on monthly basis.
- Carry out experience investigations as directed e.g. on expenses, Return on Assets, lapse rates, Mortality etc.
- Prepare input data for the annual business planning exercise, strategy reviews and for capital management/solvency purposes as well as Stress and
- Scenario testing on the projections.
- Coordinate with the assigned Segment in the preparation of data for the management and board reports.
- Delegated Authority: As per the approved Delegated Authority Matrix.
Knowledge, experience and qualifications required
- University Degree in actuarial science, statistics, engineering, mathematics, physics, economics or related field with strong emphasis on mathematical proficiency.
- 0-2 years’ experience in a similar position.
- Progress in Institute of Actuaries examinations (3 papers).
Technical/ Functional competencies:
- Statistical techniques.
- Proficient knowledge on the insurance industry in Kenya.
- Knowledge of reinsurance arrangements and structures.
- Knowledge of statistical packages or programming (e.g. SAS, Visual Basic).
- Database management systems.
Leadership category responsibility framework (Core Competencies):
Emerging Leaders in Britam need to:
- Present and Communicate Information – Speaks fluently; expresses opinions, information and key points of an argument clearly; presents effectively; responds quickly to others ‘reactions and feedback during conversations; projects credibility.
- Work with People – Shows respect for the views and contributions of team members; shows empathy; listens, supports and cares for others; consults others and pro-actively shares information and expertise with them; builds team spirit and reconciles conflict; adapts to the team and fits in well.
- Adhere to Principles and Values – Upholds and encourages ethical behavior and departmental values; demonstrates integrity; encourages individual responsibility towards the community and the environment; models the organizational values during every day interactions.
- Analyze – Analyses numerical data and all other sources of information, breaking them into component parts, patterns and relationships; probes for further information or greater understanding of a problem; makes rational judgments from the available information and analysis; demonstrates an understanding of how one issue may be part of a much larger system / process / problem.
- Plan and Organize – Adheres to and monitors clearly defined objectives; plans activities and projects well in advance and takes account of possible changing circumstances; identifies and organizes resources needed to accomplish tasks; manages time effectively; monitors performance against deadlines and milestones.
- Deliver Results and Meet Customer Expectations – Focuses on customer needs and satisfaction; sets and models high standards for quality and quantity; monitors and maintains quality and productivity; works in a systematic methodical and orderly way; consistently achieves projects goals.
- Decide and Initiate Action – Takes responsibility for own, as well as subordinates’ actions and projects; takes initiative and works under own direction; initiates and generates activity; introduces improvements into work processes; handles problems with minimal guidance.
- Lead and Supervise – Provides subordinates with a clear direction; motivates and empowers others; provides subordinates with the relevant coaching; creates a positive climate that fosters learning and development; identifies high potential talent; sets and articulates the departmental vision and values through own personal behavior; sets appropriate standards of behavior.
- Formulate Strategies and Concepts – Works strategically to realize personal goals; understands and effectively communicates the departmental strategy; translates the departmental strategy and vision into operational responsibilities; takes into consideration departmental strategy during all tasks; takes account of a wide range of issues across, and related to current role.
- Apply Expertise and Technology – Applies specialist and detailed technical expertise; uses technology to achieve work objectives; develops job knowledge and expertise (theoretical and practical) through continual professional development; demonstrates an understanding of different organizational departments and functions.
- Follow Instructions and Procedures – Challenges authority only when appropriate; follows procedures and policies; keeps to schedules; arrives punctually for work and meetings; demonstrates a commitment to the organization; complies with legal obligations and safety requirements of the role.
- Adapt and Respond to change – Adapts to changing circumstances; tolerates ambiguity; accepts new ideas and change initiatives; adapts interpersonal style to suit different people or situations; shows an interest in new experiences.