Feeling Stuck in Career?
Get free professional career coaching
The World Bank Country Office in Kenya is seeking a highly organized and energized professional, capable of operating effectively and discreetly in a very demanding, fast-paced and culturally diverse environment, to work as a Team Assistant based in Nairobi, Kenya.
The successful candidate will work under the leadership of the Country Director and the day to day supervision of the Senior Executive Assistant and Program Leader who provide supervision and guidance to the ACS (Administrative and Client Support) staff. Selected candidate will provide administrative and client support to the Operational Staff. The job implies frequent interaction with other institutional units, staff in other locations (locally and internationally), Government officials, consultants and external organizations.
Duties and Responsibilities
The Team Assistant’s duties and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
Operational and administrative support
- Use desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, presentations, charts, figures, graphs, etc., according to World Bank format and distribution.
- Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders (TTLs) into the central database, including processing new project status reports.
- Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
- Draft correspondence (standard letters, memos, faxes, etc.) conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style and proofread materials;
- Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents.
- Maintain up-to-date unit project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the TTLs. Program Leader, Country Director and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU).
Information Management and Client interaction
- Answer internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio or, as necessary, take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, and route them to appropriate persons to handle.
- Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distribute documents for the team.
- Co-ordinate with service units, and liaise frequently with team members both in Washington and in the Country Office;
- Track and report on appropriate aspects of the Team’s operational activities
Time management & Logistics planning
- Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information;
- Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters;
- Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, etc.
- Serve as a back-up to other staff and Task Team Assistants on project and administrative tasks.
- Occasionally perform Analytical tasks as may be requested by the Team Leader
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
Among other criteria, the successful candidate should be holding:
- Preferably a Diploma in Secretarial Studies or Office Management or Business Administration
- A minimum of Three (3) years relevant work experience in a large International or Service or Private Sector Organization;
- Proficiency in using advanced functions on Bank standard computer applications (Windows applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
- Knowledge of and ability to execute diverse work procedures related to the timely processing and production of assigned outputs and supporting administrative activities;
- Applied knowledge of Bank’s organization, procedures and practices, including Bank records management and filing procedures;
- Thorough knowledge of work procedures in assigned work unit;
- Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps; and to follow through on team priorities in the absence of the team leader and respond to requests for information;
- Ability to pass relevant Bank tests (e.g. English language, computer applications, etc.) as required;
- Committed, dedicated and team player with ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and clients in a multi-cultural environment;
- Proficient French / English skills (verbal and written), including ability to draft routine correspondence and edit materials using proper grammar, punctuation and style;
- Effective time management and organizational skills;
- Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
In addition to the above selection criteria, the following competencies are expected of the successful candidate:
Technology and Systems Knowledge:
Demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience working with Microsoft office applications (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Word, etc.) and smartphones. Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills as technology.
Project and Task Management:
Exhibits good organizational, problem-solving skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrates attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule.
Institutional Policies Processes, and Procedures:
Demonstrates knowledge of own department’s programs and products, knows key players, understands own role. Displays understanding of WB policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities and is able to apply/ implement them.
Versatility and Adaptability:
Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrates motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
Exhibits positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally.
Drive for Results:
Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results and has the personal organization to do so.
Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion:
Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
Knowledge, Learning and Communication:
Has good knowledge of the unit’s language(s). Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able to learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making:
Able to manage information and support retention and disposition
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview