Free Online Resume Builder
Create an attractive online profile for employers to hire you
Find details here
Environmental sciences jobs, Aquatic sciences jobs, Social science jobs,
Blue Empowerment Project Master’s Scholarships
Scope of work for the Master’s student
The student’s thesis should be aligned under work packages 2 and 3 of the Blue Empowerment Project as summarised below:
- Work package 2: Work package 2 of the Blue Empowerment Project focuses on socio-economic assessment of gaps, barriers and opportunities for women empowerment in fish-seaweed value chains. This will include baseline surveys using a gendered aquaculture value-chain analysis to generate knowledge on the baseline status on gendered empowerment challenges and opportunities in the selected fish-seaweed value chains in the target communities. Life histories methodologies will also be used for in-depth case studies of selected number of diverse fisherfolk women to document individual life histories to document knowledge of challenges and gender barriers as well as opportunities to empowerment. A rapid needs assessment among fishers in Kwale and Kilifi will be carried out to establish technical training needs and opportunities for adopting IMTA among fisher communities. The assessment will document knowledge gaps and available opportunities between men and women.
- Work package 3: Work package 3 of the Blue Empowerment Project focuses on policy and governance framework for IMTA adoption and women empowerment. A gendered policy and governance analysis of selected policies, strategies and governance structures at local, county and national level related to fisheries and aquaculture will be done to identify constraints, gaps and opportunities to support women’s economic empowerment. Stakeholders of value chains and policy processes will be mapped in order to identify key players in the seaweed-fish value chains. Other tools and approaches will be used to analyse stakeholder interests, positions and their power, auditing gender and social inclusion gaps in the processes. Key policy recommendations will be developed and validated through county and national multi-stakeholder engagement approaches.
(NOTE: 3 Simple, Easy to do tips to make you NEGOTIATE a 6 Figure Salary like a PRO (backed by case studies and research). Get More Details Here.)
Scholarship value and duration
Blue Empowerment Project is offering two Masters scholarships to eligible Kenyan university students to carry out their research aligned to either of the two work packages summarised above. The scholarship will cover school fees for the second year of study only, fieldwork related expenses and a stipend for a maximum of 12 months.
Supervision of students
The qualified candidates will be co-supervised by Blue Empowerment Project partners from Kenyatta University
Duties and Responsibilities of qualified candidates
The main duties and responsibilities will include:
- Familiarizing with the entire project with a focus on the work package the student will select.
- Proposal development meeting the host University requirements.
- Data collection using the tools designed and guided by the supervisors.
- Data analysis, synthesis and writing of thesis.
- Preparation of progress report every 3 months.
- Prepare a manuscript targeting a peer reviewed journal.
- Presentation of research findings during project meetings as and when required to do so.
To be eligible to receive the scholarship, the applicant should:
- Have a bachelor’s university degree or an equivalent in environmental sciences, aquatic sciences, social science, or any other relevant field.
- Have completed his/her first-year master’s course work and ready to start their research project
- Experience in working closely with the coastal communities
- Must be willing to carry out their project work in Kilifi and Kwale county.
- Excellent presentation, oral and written communications skills, problem solving abilities and great interpersonal skills.
- Ability to create and nurture effective working relationships with the project’s stakeholders.
- Knowledge of and active use of MS Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Experience with data collection applications such as ODK etc. will be an advantage.
- Ability to understand the local dialects in Kwale/Kilifi County is an added advantage.
How to apply
Individuals who meet the above requirements should submit their:
- One-pager motivation letter indicating their interest and suitability for the position,
- Updated curriculum vitae (CV),
- Bachelor’s degree certificate and transcripts, and
- Provisional master’s degree transcript or a certified letter from the university confirming the candidate has completed coursework
All submissions should be done through this link. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. To report any challenges and inquiries, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org with subject line ‘Blue Empowerment Project Master’s Scholarships’.
The African Centre for Technology Studies (ACTS) is an equal opportunity employer and therefore encourages all interested parties to submit their applications. Women are encouraged to apply.
Applications must be submitted on or before 5PM 22nd July 2022
Full application link: https://forms.gle/T7LrJzfieKmbGr869