Workplace of the Future
Post Covid 19 Are You Ready?
Free Live Workshop Register here
Population Services International (PSI) Jobs, Communications Consultant Jobs
- Delivering Innovation in Self-Care (DISC)
- Reports to: Sr. SRH Technical Advisor – Implementation Science & Learning
- Start Date: June 2020
- Duration: Seven months, extension possible
- Location: Nairobi, Kenya
Who we are
- Population Services International (PSI) is the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. We work to make it easier for people in the developing world to lead healthy lives and plan the families they desire. We’re reimagining healthcare, developing health market systems where more consumer voices, at all income levels, are shaping the development of increased consumer choices – where technology-driven, affordable, quality drugs, devices, diagnostics and information move closer to peoples’ communities and homes. We believe consumer-powered healthcare is a cost-effective sustainable path toward health for all without financial hardship.
- There are over 8,000 “PSI’ers” around the world. We’re a diverse group of professionals and entrepreneurs with an unusually wide range of backgrounds – all with unique skills we bring to the job.
- Delivering Innovation in Self-Care (DISC) is a five-year project funded by the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation (CIFF) and implemented by PSI. The project aims to generate substantial market growth and demand for self-injection of DMPA-SC (a contraceptive product) in Uganda and Nigeria through a consumer marketing campaign to change user knowledge, motivation, and skills. It applies an iterative approach: prototyping solutions, testing in the market, and refining for scale. Beyond catalyzing women’s uptake of contraceptive self-injection, the project is advancing a broader self-care agenda in Sub-Saharan Africa that will deliver more agency to individual users to influence their own health outcomes. The Self-Care Trailblazers Group (SCTG) is a multi-donor funded, consortium-style advocacy group of which PSI is a member. SCTG supports countries in bringing self-care interventions to consumers by advancing the evidence, practice, learning and policy landscape for sexual and reproductive health and rights.
- DISC is currently in its start-up phase and is seeking to develop a communication and advocacy strategy and related products that will reach key global and in-country stakeholders including Ministries of Health (MOH), global health partners and programs with relevant missions, and lay audiences with strategic and technically sound information. DISC and the SCTG have complementary objectives in terms of promoting DMPA-SC self-injection and other self-care behaviors, both through directly engaging potential users and through influencing the country-level regulatory environment.
- We are looking for a Communications Consultant who can lead the communication and advocacy strategy for the project, targeting an array of key global and country-level decision makers with honed messaging to build awareness of DISC and influence the enabling environment in support of sexual and reproductive health.
- Sound like you? Read on.
- Develop communication and advocacy strategy for DISC targeting an array of key global and country-level decision makers including technical partners and peer organizations, as well as country government and partners, and lay audiences as appropriate.
- Ensure DISC communication and advocacy strategy aligns with larger PSI Self-Care Advocacy efforts, including Self-Care Trailblazers Group
- Develop and advance the DISC project brand with DISC’s key external stakeholders, in partnership with DISC technical leadership, comprised of the DISC Technical Lead, Sr. SRH Advisor- Implementation Science & Learning, and Deputy Director (TBH)
- In close collaboration with the Sr. SRH Advisor- Implementation Science & Learning:
- Develop written and audiovisual materials to communicate DISC key insights and learning throughout diagnose, decide, and design phases, establishing a project voice that is approachable, appealing, and technically grounded (see Table 1 below)
- Prepare for DISC presence at priority conferences and technical events (i.e. planning for DISC presence at the International Conference on Family Planning, 2021)
- Lead on global media coverage for the project
- Support capacity of DISC country teams to
- Generate appropriate local media coverage—considering media monitoring, crisis communications, and brand building for local audience. Surveys and responds to media content related to DISC and DISC topics that originates external to the project.
- Develop and prepare for execution of country-specific advocacy strategies by start of DISC’s implementation phase (estimated to begin January 2021).
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
What are we looking for?
The candidate we hire will embody PSI’s corporate values:
- Results Oriented: You use evidence to make decisions and guide your work to achieving measurable results. You set clear goalposts in advance and explain clearly if you need to move them.
- Pragmatism: You’ll strive to deliver the best possible result with the resources available. You won’t be paralyzed by a need to make things perfect.
- Honesty: You own your mistakes and are open about your shortcomings – you know it’s the only way you’ll learn and improve.
- Collaboration: You’ll quickly establish a mental map of whom you can rely on for what, on your team, at headquarters, and in our country offices – if you try to do it all yourself, you won’t succeed.
- Trust: You accept limits to your sphere of control and give colleagues the benefit of the doubt.
- Relevant Master’s degree and 8+ years of experience in the design and implementation of strategic communications plans and policy advocacy
- Clear and articulate communicator (in English) with attention to detail and ability to develop concise project materials
- Well-rounded background in reaching diverse target audiences including project donors, beneficiaries, government officials of varying levels of technical proficiency
- Demonstrated experience synthesizing and condensing information and results from a variety of written and oral sources, for use in concise communications deliverables
- Tech-savvy and well versed in building project website content, writing blog posts, and generating dynamic and engaging technical communications, including audio-visual
- Expert coordination skills and proven track record of liaising with external stakeholders to align on strategic objectives and report on collective progress made toward shared intervention goals
- Highly organized and comfortable working on multiple simultaneous activities.
- Proactive—can think ahead to ensure key inputs needed for success are in place in advance of deliverable due dates
- Ability to zoom in and zoom out—can think big picture while executing on discrete detailed projects.
- Must be authorized to work in Kenya.
- PSI is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from qualified individuals regardless of actual or perceived race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, matriculation, political affiliation, family status or responsibilities, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, childbirth, related medical conditions or breastfeeding, genetic information, amnesty, veteran, special disabled veteran or uniform service member status or employment status.
- Click Here to Apply