FREE CAREER COACHING for You
Get Your Career in The Right Path
SNV Kenya Jobs, Contract Jobs, Team Leader Jobs
Team Leader (Open to both national and international applicants)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: National employment contract
- SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
- In its new Strategic Plan period (2019 – 2022), SNV will more explicitly aim for systems change during project preparation and implementation – by strengthening institutions and kick-starting markets that help many more to escape poverty beyond our projects. We will continue to position ourselves as a premium organization, with decentralized management.
- Opportunities for Rural Youth Employment in Kenya (ORYE Kenya) Programme – (Subject to Project Award) which is an anticipated GIZ-funded programme seeks to improve the overall training and employment situation in rural areas of Western Kenya, especially for young people and women. SNV, in a consortium with Welthungerhilfe, is in the process of designing a youth employment programme that specifically focuses on employment opportunities in the agricultural sector in five counties in Western Kenya, namely: Siaya, Bungoma, Kakamega, Kisumu and Vihiga. The programme is part of a global rural youth employment project that is coordinated by a GIZ steering unit in Germany.
The programme has two key fields of action:
- Business environment and improved access to inputs, services and markets which aims to ensure that Micro, Small & Medium Enterprises (MSMEs), smallholder farmers/cooperatives and start-ups benefit from new or improved access to inputs (including land), services (including financial services) and markets to better start or grow their business.
- Strengthening the demand for labour which aims at identifying and developing employment potentials for the rural youth with reference to the agricultural and food sector (i.e. cross-value chain support, coaching & mentoring, better access to markets, etc.).
- Reporting to the Country Director, the Team leader will have overall responsibility and accountability of the programme which includes overall programme management i.e. contract implementation according to planning and budgeting agreement, strategic guidance and partnership development with key stakeholders, supervision of human resources, and ensuring quality control and timeliness of all deliverables including reporting as required by the donor. This position will deliver 16 expert months (i.e. 40%) spread across a 44 calendar months’ project and is open to both national international applicants.
Responsibilities and Tasks
- Overall responsibility for the advisory package of the project;
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the programme of SNV/WHH Kenya with the key project strategy and actions at local and national level;
- Promote strategy, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development among local implementing partners and stakeholders;
- Ensuring application of cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender, climate change, social stability);
- Personnel management, including the deployment of short-term assignments within the available budget, as well as planning and steering assignments and supporting local and international short-term experts;
- Ensuring results-based monitoring is conducted;
- Regular reporting in accordance with contract compliance;
- Responsibility for the use of funds according to financial planning and budgeting in consultation with GIZ’s officer responsible for the commission;
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating/adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and in preparing a follow-on phase
- University qualification in economics, agricultural economics, or any other related fields of study;
- Very good business language skills in English;
- 10 years of professional experience in rural development, employment;
- 5 years in rural employment promotion with focus on youth, local economic development, agriculture value chain development, MSME and start-up promotion, private sector cooperation;
- 6 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company;
- 3 years of experience in projects in East Africa (region);
- 6 years of experience in Developing Cooperation projects;
- Experience in financial management.
- Contract Duration: 16 expert months delivered across a 44 months’ project.
- Desired start date: Subject to Project award
How to apply
- Please apply by clicking the “I’m Interested” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and a CV that contains three referees in English to the attention of Human Resources Officer before 26th July 2020 citing the position title as reference.
- Only shortlisted will be contacted.
- We do not appreciate third-party mediation based on this advertisement.
- SNV Kenya does not require you to undergo any medical test prior to employment.
- Click Here to Apply
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview