Workplace of the Future
Post Covid 19 Are You Ready?
Free Live Workshop Register here
Position: Research & Program Manager – Nairobi, Kenya
To begin no later than April 2020
The Aquaya Institute (Aquaya) is an independent, non-profit research and consulting organization dedicated to safe, equitable, and sustainable water and sanitation in developing countries. Our mission is to improve public health by reducing the burden of waterborne diseases. Aquaya was established in 2005 to provide development agencies, governments, and implementing organizations with a trustworthy and agile resource for conducting rigorous research, experimentation, and evaluation.
Aquaya has completed projects spanning public health, economics, technology development, and social entrepreneurship in over 20 countries of Africa, Asia, and Latin America. We have published or contributed to nearly 30 peer-reviewed research articles and produced numerous other report and publications.
Aquaya maintains an office in Nairobi, Kenya. Staff members are also located in the US, Europe and other African countries. Many of our projects are carried-out in collaboration with academic research groups and expert consultants.
- About the position
We are recruiting a Research & Program Manager for a full-time position based in Nairobi. The Research & Program Manager will report to Aquaya’s Director of Programs and mange field research in multiple developing countries. We are searching for an individual who is passionate about collecting and analyzing quantitative and qualitative data that builds the evidence base for water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions. The ideal candidate will demonstrate experience is designing and implementing field research that comprises the following key activities:
- Developing research protocols for quantitative and qualitative studies, including randomized controlled trials, ex post evaluations of interventions by other organizations, and testing of new technologies and behavior change strategies.
- Creating and using electronic data collection forms.
- Obtaining local research permits and ethical reviews.
- Coordinating the logistical requirements for field research such as procurement and transportation of research equipment and supplies.
- Managing and mentoring of early-stage research staff with recent graduate degrees from African universities.
- Recruiting and training survey teams.
- Collaborating with expert consultants.
- Experience with statistics and quantitative data analysis.
- Experience in coding and analyzing qualitative data.
- Writing research reports and peer-reviewed publications.
Criteria for the position
The following qualifications are necessary for this position:
- A Masters or PhD degree in one of these disciplines: epidemiology, economics, environmental engineering, environmental sciences
- Authorship of a peer-reviewed paper published in an international scientific journal
- Extensive experience of managing teams conducting field experiments (at least 3 years, preferably in multiple international locations)
- Commitment to living in Nairobi on a full-time basis. Working remotely or maintaining a part-time residency in Nairobi are not options for this position.
- Eligibility to obtain the legal right to work in Kenya
- Ability to travel up to 30% time, often alone and often to remote areas of Africa and Asia.
- Fluency in English
We are also looking for the following skills and attributes:
- Previous work experience in developing countries
- Demonstrated expertise in data management and statistical analysis
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to delivery
- Excellent verbal, written, and interpersonal communication skills
- Outstanding organization and time management skills, with an attention to detail and an ability to establish systems to manage constant flows of information and deliver on deadlines
- Proven ability to work closely with a small team and to successfully manage multiple and changing priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment, while maintaining a positive and productive attitude and a good sense of humor!
Compensation and Benefits
This is a full-time, exempt position. Aquaya offers competitive salaries that are commensurate with experience. Benefits include medical insurance, enrollment in a retirement plan, and reimbursements of annual home leave travel expenses.
How To apply
Please submit your resume via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org along with a thoughtful cover letter. The deadline for submissions is January 31, 2020.
In your cover letter, please explain why you are interested in Aquaya’s mission and activities. Please also tell us why your skills, background, and accomplishments make you the ideal candidate for this position, specifically highlighting your experience in developing countries, your background in quantitative data analysis, and any abilities to work in languages other than English.
Please note that we will not consider applications without a cover letter. In your e-mail subject line, please specify “Research & Program Manager 2020”. No phone calls please.
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview