Workplace of the Future
Post Covid 19 Are You Ready?
Free Live Workshop Register here
World Food Programme Jobs, Counsellor Jobs
Staff Counsellor P4 – Nairobi, Kenya (123518)
- WFP seeks candidates of the highest integrity and professionalism who share our humanitarian principles.
- Selection of staff is made on a competitive basis, and we are committed to promoting diversity and gender balance.ABOUT WFP
- The United Nations World Food Programme is the world’s largest humanitarian agency fighting hunger worldwide. The mission of WFP is to help the world achieve Zero Hunger in our lifetimes. Every day, WFP works worldwide to ensure that no child goes to bed hungry and that the poorest and most vulnerable, particularly women and children, can access the nutritious food they need.
- The challenges of working in difficult conditions to bring much needed food and support to our recipients while inherently rewarding, can place a great deal of pressure and stress on WFP staff. As a part of a multidisciplinary team under the Staff Wellness Division, the Staff Counselling Unit is committed to the promotion of psychological and physical health in the broadest sense so staff can continue to function at high levels in order to meet the mandate of the organization. We do this by identifying and addressing psychological risk factors in the workplace, and through the provision of counselling services to staff members and their dependents.
NAIROBI, KENYA COUNTRY CONTEXT
- The UN WFP is looking for a highly qualified Staff Counsellor to join the Staff Wellness Division based in Nairobi covering the country offices in the Regional Bureau Nairobi (RBN). The region includes large and complex operations in East and Central Africa including Ethiopia, Somalia, South Sudan, Burundi and Uganda. There are currently 4 country-based counsellors in RBN who are supervised by the regional staff counsellor in Nairobi.
- To design and coordinate the delivery of counselling services, provide professional and effective counselling and stress management services that enable staff to maintain positive health, performance and outlook. A large emphasis is placed on extensive engagement with all levels of staff internally and with external partners to enhance psychosocial support and access to staff counselling resources.
- The Staff Counsellor will administratively report to the Deputy Regional Director and technically report to the Chief of Staff Counselling in Rome. A key requirement of the position will be the ability to summarize data and trends to develop programs and policies that are designed to support staff. Frequent travel is required from the Staff Counsellor to support the country offices, at times on short notice based on operational needs, and also at times to remote and difficult locations to provide support to staff.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
- Provide empirically supported and culturally sensitive counselling services to WFP staff and if requested their dependents; this may include case management and referrals to other resources as required.
- Provide pre and post deployment briefings to staff being deployed to emergency or hardship duty stations.
- Based on data trends and requests from other divisions/units/offices develop and provide a range of trainings and programs including but not limited to team building, resilience, harassment, and cross-cultural sensitivity to improve morale, health, and team dynamics.
- As part of a multidisciplinary team work closely with individuals and teams to address psychological risks at the individual, unit and organizational level.
- When requested work closely with managers/supervisors towards improving the working atmosphere in their units.
- Provide counselling services to individuals and/or groups during emergencies; provide services in a timely and sensitive manner to staff and dependents after critical incidents, and ensure follow up support for staff and dependents following critical events.
- Identify and liaise with high quality local and regional mental health resources that can be used for referrals or in times of crisis.
- In the best interests of staff members and the organization work in a collegial and professional manner with all units in the Staff Wellness Division to insure continuity of care.
- Work as a part of a team to insure divisional priorities are implemented consistent with the yearly divisional work plan and the Wellness Division Strategic Plan.
- Develop and participate in multidisciplinary programmes in the Staff Wellness Division as well as Regional and Country Offices.
- Manage the Wellbeing platform for RBN (Regional Bureau Nairobi)
- Be proactive in building partnerships with but not limited to HR and security that support staff within the agency and also with other agencies or relevant organizations.
- Contribute to the development of policies and guidelines, as well as written and visual materials to increase awareness regarding important themes and topics related to Staff Wellness.
- Complete administrative duties such as maintain statistics on activities and completing reporting requirements as per the requirement in the Staff Wellness Division.
- Maintain the highest ethical standards related to the provision of psychological services consistent with the Wellness Code of Ethics;
- Perform other duties as required.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Advanced university degree (Doctorate, Masters or equivalent) in Clinical or Counselling Psychology, Psychiatry or demonstrably equivalent studies from a recognized institution.
- The candidate must hold active licensure/registration as a mental health professional with a recognized governing association and be a member of that organization in good standing.
- Additional training or certification in a broad range of related fields, such as alcohol/substance abuse, resilience, cross-cultural communication, conflict resolution, mediation, trauma etc. will be an advantage.
- A minimum of eight (8) years of progressively responsible and professional post graduate experience relevant to the field is required.
- Experience either working in a hardship location or providing counselling services to staff working under very difficult and insecure environments is an asset.
- Proven experience in managing, developing and coaching a team in an international environment.
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
Knowledge & Skills:
- Broad knowledge of all facets of the field of counselling and ability to provide an environment in which others can talk confidentially and act without fear or repercussions within a climate of established trust.
- Excellent communication skills (oral, written and presentations) including the ability to defend and explain difficult issues and positions to staff at all levels.
- Ability to identify clients’ needs and suggest appropriate solutions.
- Ability to establish and maintain productive partnerships with clients.
- Ability to contribute to the strategic vision of the Wellness division based on trends identified using a population health model.
- Excellent team player and value working with a multidisciplinary and culturally diverse team.
- Very good working knowledge of technology tools such as PowerPoint, Excel and Word.
- Ability to operate effectively across organizational boundaries and establish and maintain effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
TERMS AND CONDITIONS
- The selected candidate will be employed on a fixed-term as well as a rotational contract with a probationary period of one year.
- WFP offers an attractive compensation and benefits package, including basic salary, post adjustment, relocation entitlement, travel and shipment allowances, 30 days’ annual leave, home leave, an education grant for dependent children, pension plan and medical insurance. For more details please visit icsc.un.org
- DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: August 31, 2020.
- Female applicants and qualified applicants from developing countries are especially encouraged to apply
- WFP has zero tolerance for discrimination and does not discriminate on the basis of HIV/AIDS status.
- No appointment under any kind of contract will be offered to members of the UN Advisory Committee on Administrative and Budgetary Questions (ACABQ), International Civil Service Commission (ICSC), FAO Finance Committee, WFP External Auditor, WFP Audit Committee, Joint Inspection Unit (JIU) and other similar bodies within the United Nations system with oversight responsibilities over WFP, both during their service and within three years of ceasing that service.
How To Apply
- Click Here to Apply
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview