- Description of assignment title: Communication Officer
- Assignment country: Kenya
- Expected start date: 09/01/2023
- Sustainable Development Goal: 17. Partnerships for the goals
- Volunteer category: International UN Volunteer Specialist
- DoA reserved for persons with disabilities: No
- Host entity: WHO
- Type: Onsite
- Duration: 12 months
- Number of assignments: 1
- Duty stations: Nairobi
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Mission and objectives
The mission of WHO in the area of transplantation is to meet the requirement of the fifty-seventh World health Assembly resolution WHA57.18.
Objectives can be summarized as follows:
To work with Member states and to provide assistance at their request to ensure effective national oversight of allogeneic and xenogeneic transplantation activities. This would ensure accountability, traceability, and appropriate surveillance of adverse events (in particular transmission of infectious agents of xenogeneic origin);
To increase access of citizens to safe and effective transplantation of cell, tissue and organ. Additionally, to ensure ethical and technical practices of the procurement of human material for transplantation to the follow-up of recipients and live donors;
To promote international cooperation to encourage the global harmonization of technical and ethical practices in transplantation. This would include the prevention of the exploitation of the disadvantaged through transplant tourism and the sale of human material for transplantation.
To encourage donation of human material for transplantation.
The “Clinical Procedures” unit in the Department of Essential Health Technologies is responsible for promoting the appropriate effective and safe use of cell, tissue and organ transplantation. This includes the surveillance of risks particularly in xenotransplantation. This department is also responsible for ensuring efficacy, safety and equity in the provision of clinical procedures in surgery, anaesthetics, obstetrics and orthopaedics particularly at the district hospital level.
In the context of WHO’s 13th General Programme of Work (GPW) and its triple-billion strategy, the incumbent will support the communications activities of Anglophone country offices in the WHO African Region and that of the WHO Regional Office in Africa. Key deliverables include accurate and timely production and dissemination of high-quality public information products which promote the achievements and results of key public health initiatives and highlight the work of WHO and partners in the countries. The incumbent will work with colleagues in the regional office and Anglophone country offices to ensure health issues, the health response and WHO’s role therein, gain visibility among partners, donors, the public, the media, and other key stakeholders.
The incumbent will carry out the following tasks under the supervision of the Director of Office of the Regional Director.
- Research, write, and edit WHO human-interest, impact stories, with a focus on Anglophone countries, for publication on WHO Afro online and social media platforms.
- Research, script, and manage the video editing of WHO human-interest, impact video stories, with a focus on Anglophone countries, for publication on WHO Afro online and social media platforms.
- Write press releases, social media posts, talking points, and other communication materials for publication on WHO Afro online and social media platforms.
- Provide capacity building to Anglophone country offices to produce high-quality WHO multi-media (text, photo, and video) impact stories.
- Monitor and critically review Anglophone country websites and social media platforms for story ideas and follow up with country offices to produce impact stories for the WHO Afro online and social media platforms.
- Coordinate photo and video shoots in countries to produce high-quality photographs and video footage to be used for WHO Afro impact stories and social media posts.
- Take high-quality photographs and video footage with a smartphone for use on WHO Afro online and social media platforms.
- Provide external communications support to conferences, official country visits of the Regional Director, or any other high-level events in Anglophone countries.
- Any other tasks as required.
Age: 27 – 80
Nationality: Candidate must be a national of a country other than the country of assignment.
3 years of experience in journalist and/or communications officer for a multinational, national or international organization. Computer skills Essential Excellent knowledge of MSOffice Desirable Good knowledge of photo and/or video editing software Good knowledge of graphic design software Good knowledge of web publishing software
Area(s) of expertise: Communication
Languages: English, Level: Fluent, Required French, Level: Working knowledge, Desirable
Required education level
Bachelor degree or equivalent in journalism, communications, international relations, literature, history, social science, or other similar degree. Desirable: Qualification or training in graphic design, photography, and/or videography
Competencies and values
- Communication: expresses oneself clearly in conversation and interaction with others; actively listens. Produces effective written communications. Ensures that information is shared.
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective relationships with colleagues and team members. Deals constructively with conflicts.
- Moving forward in a changing environment: is open to, and proposes, new approaches and ideas. Adapts and responds positively to change.
- Promoting innovation and organizational learning: invigorates the Organization by building a culture which encourages learning and development. Sponsors innovative approaches and solutions.
- Respecting and promoting individual and cultural differences: demonstrates ability to work constructively with people with different backgrounds and orientations. Respects differences and ensures that all can contribute.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot