Duties and Responsibilities
Under the overall supervision of the Programme Management Officer. He/she will perform the following duties:
- Provide technical support within the Flagship Programme 1 on developing research and draft a guided methodology for communities to implement urban regeneration processes such as ‘Spatial Inclusion Globally’ and the ‘Atlas of Urban Regeneration’.
- Develop the Spatial Inclusion Platform, conduct research and comparative analysis, and draft the framework methodology, with indicators for measuring urban inclusion.
- Develop and implement Flagship Programme 1 projects studies and activities; develop urban socio-economic profiles and strategies and apply impact assessment tools and methodologies.
- Develop participatory workshops, training, communication, and information materials related to Our City Plans Methodology. Provide technical assistance to partnering cities on the implementation of Our City Plans by co-developing plans, guiding participatory urban planning and urban regeneration processes globally and in Vietnam.
- Draft strategic documents for Flagship Programme 1 in collaboration with different offices and teams for the alignment of priorities and development of joint projects.
- Provide technical support to the Planning Finance and Economy Section and the Flagship Programme 1 on urban planning and urban regeneration, producing spatial analysis, policy recommendations and reports.
- Minimum advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture, Urban Planning, or related field that is relevant for sustainable urban development is required. A first- level university degree in combination with two years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Demonstrate at least 5 years of professional experience in the development of urban planning projects and urban regeneration initiatives, in collaboration with multidisciplinary work teams is required.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the 2030 Agenda, the New Urban Agenda, and/or UN-Habitat language.
- International experience will be positively taken into account, particularly in the field of international cooperation for territorial and urban development.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this advertised position fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Junior Urban Planner
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Under the overall supervision of the Head of the Urban Lab and the direct supervision of the Programme Manager, in coordination with the UN-Habitat Regional Offices and in close collaboration with UN-Habitat thematic Sections, the incumbent of the post will have to fulfil the following duties and responsibilities:
- Undertake reviews, desk research, data gathering and assessments on relevant policies and strategies related to urban planning in migration contexts and document findings in short briefing reports.
- Provide technical and sectoral backstopping on urban profiling and urban planning and design for selected territories and urban areas.
- Elaboration of presentations, training material and capacity reinforcement activities and deliver workshops/training in relation to the project deliverables and applied methodologies.
- Provide technical expertise in relation to the normative production of the Urban Lab.
- Provide technical expertise in relation to sustainable urban and regional development for Urban Lab projects.
- Advise and work with the Urban Lab team to analyse, collect, compile, and interpret data to guide and inform the urban planning and design projects.
- Develop planning analytic and diagnostic maps, drawings, and related reports for partner cities.
- Develop clear planning proposals, drawings, GIS maps, graphics, and publications for partner cities.
- Develop and organise participatory, multi-stakeholder processes tailor-made for the projects in a specific context.
- Provide input to Urban Lab and PFES documents and publications.
- Technical development of country proposals and development frameworks.
- Contribute to the development of the Urban Lab and PFES project portfolio on urban planning and design.
- Advanced university degree (master’s degree or equivalent) in Architecture, Urban Development and Planning, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree, in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience, may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least 2 years of relevant work experience in the field of sustainable development and spatial analysis (and/or related fields) with direct proven experience in drawing and preparing plan graphical material using computer-assisted design tools, with special attention to data management and processing with ADOBE and GIS software is required;
- Direct proven experience of urban planning and design projects/processes, in combination with e.g. urban resilience, mobility, project finance, and/or data systems, is required;
- Proven experience in GIS software use, data analysis and map production is required
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this advertised position, fluency in English is required.