- Job Opening ID: 222952
- Job Network : Management and Administration
- Job Family : Finance
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-6
Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Date Posted : Dec 14, 2023
- Deadline : Jan 12, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the respective office of the Secretary-General. UNON supports programme implementation of the UN Environment programme (UNEP), the UN Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordinator System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
These positions are located in the office of the Budget and Financial Management Services (BFMS) within the Division of Administrative Services (DAS). Under the supervision of the Chief of Unit, the incumbents will be expected to perform the following duties:
- 1. Assist in the collection of data and preparation of cost estimates and budget proposals in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for regular budget and extra-budgetary resources under UNON Administration.
- 2. Support the monitoring of budget implementation and performance and recommendations for reallocation of funds as necessary.
- 3. Ensure that requisitions for goods and services are in line with authorized budgets, the priorities of the organization and the UN financial rules and regulations.
- 4. Assist in reviewing requests for creation and extension of positions as well as requests for recruitment.
- 5. Assist in the execution of cost recovery in line with established agreements and policies and support on the collection of associated receivables.
- 6. Perform certifying functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
- 1. Process financial documents in line with the financial rules and regulations.
- 2. Review and analysis of various accounting data and assist in the review and analysis of financial statements.
- 3. Scrutinize supporting documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of requests in line with applicable policies, procedure, rules and regulations.
- 4. Verify accuracy of postings and process corrections as appropriate.
- 5. Analyze open item managed accounts (OIM) in the ERP system (Umoja) and initiate corrective action.
- 6. Perform approval functions of financial transactions as per delegation.
- 1. Prepare and analyze reports with a view to identify anomalies and unusual trends and recommend corrective action as appropriate.
- 2. Perform data extraction and prepare various reports for management review.
- 3. Respond to queries and draft correspondence to clients and other stakeholders in a timely and effective manner.
- 4. Ensure that accurate and complete accounting, reporting and internal control systems are in place and functioning.
- 5. Ensure that all relevant records and audit trails are maintained.
- 6. Act as deputy to team leader and back up for other team members.
- 7. Assigning and monitoring iNeed service requests to ensure compliance with key performance indicators to optimize operational efficiency of finance related services rendered to UNON clients.
- 8. Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- 9. Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- 10. Perform other related duties, as assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment; Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions; The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management; Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations; Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honors commitments; Delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; Operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; Supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; Takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- Completion of secondary education/ high school diploma is required.
- Supplemental courses/ training in finance, administration, project management or related field is required.
- A recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) is required.
- A minimum of seven years (7) of experience in finance, budget or related area is required.
- The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience with the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and finance system such as Oracle or SAP is desirable. Experience with processes of Financial Management is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations language is desirable.
- “NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot