|Posting Title:||FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER, P4 (Temporary Job Opening)|
|Job Code Title:||FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER|
|Department/Office:||United Nations Support Office in Somalia|
|Posting Period:||02 May 2023 – 15 May 2023|
|Job Opening Number:||23-Finance-UNSOS-207440-J-Nairobi (M)|
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Budget and Finance Section of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS). The incumbent will be based in Nairobi and report to the Chief, Budget and Finance Section.
The focus of the position is to coordinate the overall financial resourcing and performance management of UNSOS and UNSOM that includes the planning and implementation of the budgetary resources and, monitoring and reporting of financial performance. The incumbent is also responsible for monitoring and analysis of budgetary and operational performance of the mission.
Within delegated authority, the Finance and Budget Officer will be responsible for the following duties:
Strategic Resourcing and Stewardship:
• Supports with the development of the mission’s annual budget development programme, providing coordination with respect to the establishment of major resourcing priorities, prepares cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of mission’s resourcing requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; reviews, analyzes and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals as well as Result Based Budgeting inputs.
• Plans and oversees the preparation, reviews and finalization of budget performance reports in compliance with the Legislative requirements and recommendations and Controller’s instructions; reviews and ensures valid variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
• Prepares inputs to the UN’s legislative processes for consideration of mission financing requirements by the relevant budgetary bodies within the Secretariat as well as the legislative bodies of the General Assembly.
• Administers the allotments of the mission in line with the updated policy on administration of allotments including advise, guidance and approval of redeployment/reallocation of funds in line with implementation of planned and/or prioritized activities.
• Ensures the efficient and effective use of budgetary resources through robust monitoring of budget utilization to the approved budget and timely provision of information to Mission management for decision making; Provides support and guidance to fund centre/programme managers on budget implementation and corrective actions where necessary.
• Administers and monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
• Prepares financial reports that informs and meets the need of senior management of the mission, programme and fund center managers throughout the mission, relevant external stakeholders as well as those acting on behalf of the mission at UNHQ.
• Provides advice, financial interpretations, adaptations and corrective actions in response to audits and other queries to ensure adherence to the UN Financial Regulations and Rules, Staff Rules, Administrative Instructions, Bulletins and Circulars under the guidance of the Chief of Section/Supervisor.
• Carries out duties consistent with the financial delegation in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules.
• Supports the Chief of Section/Supervisor in implementing strong management reporting practices and business intelligence for effective and efficient budgetary and performance management.
• Provides timely advice to operational counterparts and mission leadership on organizational performance of the mission in line with mission priorities.
• Coordinates on going monitoring, analysis and reporting to ensure that organizational performance of the operations is tracking with set targets and resource requirements are aligned with mandates and other priorities.
• In the absence of Chief of Section, oversees the daily operations of the section.
• Ensures that all activities within Finance and Budget Section, are in compliance with the UNHQ Environmental and Waste Management policies and in line with the UNHQ Environment Strategy objectives; coordinates with the mission’s environmental officer for guidance as needed.
• Performs other duties as may be assigned.
Professionalism: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges. Remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; Tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
Managing Performance: Delegates the appropriate responsibility, accountability and decision-making authority. Makes sure that roles, responsibilities and reporting lines are clear to each staff member. Accurately judges the amount of time and resources needed to accomplish a task and matches task to skills. Monitors progress against milestones and deadlines. Regularly discusses performance and provides feedback and coaching to staff. Encourages risk-taking and supports creativity and initiative. Actively supports the development and career aspirations of staff. Appraises performance fairly.
Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, public administration, risk management, finance, or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience in accounting, budget or finance may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- A minimum of seven (07) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, budget, administration, public administration, business administration or related area is required.
- Experience in cost management, budget formulation, financial monitoring, accounting, audit, financial reporting or other related areas is required.
- Experience working with international or multi-national organizations in a volatile, conflict or post conflict settings is desirable.
- Experience in using SAP (UMOJA) and Business Intelligence Reporting tools is desirable.
- Experience with IPSAS/IFRS or similar international accounting standards is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in English, (both oral and written) is required.
- Previously rostered candidates are not subject to any further assessment and as such, will not be invited for such an assessment.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot