|FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER, P4
|Job Code Title:
|FINANCE AND BUDGET OFFICER
|United Nations Environment Programme
|20 June 2023 – 07 September 2023
|Job Opening Number:
United Nations Core Values: Integrity, Professionalism, Respect for Diversity
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
UNEP’s Corporate Services Division (CSD) is the guardian of UNEP’s corporate interest, mitigating its exposure to risk and supporting the organization with management tools, plans and related capacity building. It oversees UNEP’s efficient and effective management, in line with UNEP’s accountability requirements, rules, regulations and UN core values.
This position is located in the Partnerships and Resource Mobilization Branch of Corporate Services Division (CSD) at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Head of the Unit, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
• Reviews, analyses and ensures the financial management and budget administration of the Framework Agreements in compliance with the UN Rules and Regulations and European Commission requirements.
• Oversees, prepares, reviews and validates budgets of all projects financially supported by the European Commission / European Union.
• Organizes the regular financial monitoring and reporting functions of the portfolios of projects to the European Commission ensuring accuracy of the data.
• Provides substantive support to manage the Framework Agreements with the European Commission and inform strategic financial decisions.
• Provides recommendations and improvement plans, based on lessons learned from the financial management of the Framework Agreements and other portfolios of projects with the European Commission.
• Reviews, analyses and finalizes cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of staff and non staff requirements and provides detailed input with respect to resource requirements for budget submissions.
• Acts as the gatekeeper and custodian of the financial risk on the portfolios of projects financed by the European Commission and develops risk mitigation plans.
• Provides guidance and support on the financial provisions of the European Commission contractual framework to project teams in UNEP and in the Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). Secretariats throughout the overall project implementation cycle.
• Develops capacity of the project teams in UNEP and in the Multilateral Environmental Agreements (MEAs). Secretariats on the financial provisions of the European Commission contractual framework.
• Provides input, drafts periodical and ad-hoc reports, and correspondence on budgetary issues and responses to Senior Management as required.
• Participates in inter-departmental meetings on financial matters related to resource requirements and budgetary issues as required.
• Issues allotments, authorizes sub-allotments, including redeployment of funds when necessary, ensuring appropriate expenditures.
• Monitors expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized levels.
• Acts as Certifying Officer under Financial Rule 110.4 to ensure that proposed obligations and expenditures are in accordance with approved budgets and established regulations and rules.
• Monitors and supervises the work of subordinate staff, including evaluation of staff performance.
• Collects and analyses data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
• Performs any other duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial and budgetary principles and practices, budget development and financial administration of resources. Ability to develop budgetary policies, procedures and new systems. Ability to formulate new strategies and technical approaches to budgetary matters. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to conduct data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills with strong attention to detail to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING : Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance or a related field is required.
- A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budget, business administration or related area is required.
- Three (3) years experience with the United Nations or similar international organization is required.
- Work Experience in the use of Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as Umoja and IPMR is required.
- Experience reporting to the European Commission is desirable.
- Experience drafting and reviewing management reports is desirable.
- Experience applying United Nations Financial Rules and Regulations is desirable.
- Two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- Experience using Business Intelligence (BI) in reviewing and interpreting reports is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised fluency in English is required. Knowledge of French is desirable. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
- NOTE: ”Fluency” equals a rating of ”fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ”Knowledge of” equals a rating of ”confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which will be followed by competency-based interview.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot