UN Job, Data Science, Research, Finance, Accounting, Audit,
Senior Information Systems Assistant
- Provides support for computer information systems, databases and applications in assigned area; performs complex troubleshooting for various applications.
- Participates in the development, programming, testing, debugging and implementation of new computer application systems releases, modules and functionalities; conducts version management.
- Designs and develops computer application systems and programs, typically using more than one programming language as well as UN established standards for IT technologies and tools.
- Installs computer application systems software and hardware according to specifications; monitors applications systems using appropriate monitoring tools and produces monitoring reports.
- Manages, designs, creates, produces and maintains technical documentation for relevant computer application systems and products; manages and administers changes to technical documentation in accordance with prevailing change management and operation procedures.
- Assists in developing/refining support and operations procedures for relevant computer applications systems, including programming requirements and recommendations to users for the programming interfaces.
- Serves as team leader in projects dealing with the planning, specification, design, development, implementation and maintenance of simple computer application systems; liaises with users to define and specify requirements; builds, tests and modifies prototype computer application systems; performs installation and maintenance of computer applications systems in user offices.
- Contributes to feasibility studies, systems analysis, design, development, implementation and evaluation and testing of computer application systems improvements and new computer application systems.
- Assists in the identification of user computer application systems needs, including business process and document workflow analysis, organization and maintenance of document repositories; identifies classification schema, retention and archival procedures; designs and develops workflow systems; conducts research on document/information/knowledge management computer applications’ tools, procedures and standards.
- Assist in the management of contracts/contractual service staff and supervise the activities of local and united service desk.
- Provides support on computer application systems development matters, including security and data backup and recovery.
- Drafts correspondence and communications; including work plan revisions and other related issues, as well as prepares unit contributions for a variety of periodic reports.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field; conducts research on new technologies; performs benchmarking and proposes new acquisitions; assists in the implementation of new technologies.
- Provides guidance and training to new/junior staff; plans day-to-day work and supervises other staff as required.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of organizational information infrastructure, including hardware, software and application systems; knowledge of relevant programming language(s) and ability to use programming skills to develop information systems; knowledge of system development workflow and document flow processes, ability to conduct research and gather information from a wide variety of standard and non-standard sources; ability to respond to changing requirements and assignments, ability to apply good judgment in the context of assignments given; ability to perform a wide range of application software development and maintenance tasks under minimum supervision; shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations; commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively; listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately; asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication; tailors language, tone, style and format to match audience; demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of high school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Supplementary training in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing or related area is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in information systems analysis and programming, systems administration and maintenance, software development, technical writing or related area is required.
- The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience in the management of IT service desk at local and global level and associated contractual staff and services is desirable.
- Experience in management of United Nations or comparable organization ServiceDesk to support UN centric enterprise application systems is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
Finance and Budget Assistant
- Assist in the collection of data for preparation of cost estimates and budget proposals in terms of staff and non-staff requirements for regular budget and extra-budgetary resources under UNON Administration;
- Assist with the data extract for and preparation of various reports to management;
- Assist in monitoring budget implementation and performance;
- Assist with ensuring that requisitions for goods and services are in line with authorized budgets, the priorities of the organisation and the UN financial rules and regulations;
- Co-ordinates with other finance and budget staff on related issues during preparation of budget reports.
- Process financial documents such as accounts payable, payroll and account receivable, in line with the financial rules and regulations;
- Audits various accounting transactions, e.g., vendor payments, payroll, education grants, taxes, etc. to ensure correctness of disbursement and adherence to relevant staff rules, financial regulations and rules, ST/AI issuances or practices;
- Assist in the review and analysis of various accounting data;
- Scrutinize supporting documents for completeness, accuracy and validity of requests in line with applicable policies, procedure, rules and regulations before submission to Supervisor;
- Process accounting adjustments and corrections in line with requests submitted by Clients and approved by the Supervisor;
- Assist in the analysis of open item managed accounts (OIM) in the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system and initiate corrective action;
- Perform reconciliation of general and subledger accounts and clears suspense accounts.
- Receive and distribute various documents received in the unit/section.
- Respond to queries and draft correspondence to clients and other stakeholders in a timely and effective manner.
- Assist in ensuring that accurate and complete accounting and internal control systems are functioning and that all relevant records are maintained.
- Assist with data extraction and analysis and preparation of regular and ad hoc reports.
- Perform duties as backup for other team members when required.
- Supervise junior member of staff and interns.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of, and ability to apply financial rules, regulations and procedures in the UN environment; Knowledge, skills and ability to extract, interpret, analyze and format data across the full range of finance and budget functions; The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; Remains calm in stressful situations. Commitment to implementing the goal of gender equality by ensuring the equal participation and full involvement of women and men in all aspects of work.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided as “clients’ and seeks to see things for their point of view; Identifies clients’ needs and matches appropriate solutions; Keeps client informed of progress or setbacks,
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organisational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; Is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even if such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Completion of High school diploma is required. Additional qualification in finance, administration, project management is desirable.
- Passing the Global General Service Test (GGST) is a prerequisite for recruitment consideration in the General Services and related categories in the United Nations Secretariat. Applicants who have not passed the GGST at the time of application may be invited for the test after submitting an application. Staff members who were granted a fixed term, continuing or permanent appointment as a result of having passed a predecessor test recognized by the Office of Human Resources Management, and who have continuously held such appointments, are not required to take the new test.
Job – Specific Qualification
- A recognized accountancy qualification (e.g. Certified Public Accountant (CPA), Association of Chartered Certified Accountants (ACCA), Chartered Institute of Public Finance Accountants (CIPFA) is desirable.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressively work experience in finance, budget or related area is required. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Working experience with the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and finance system such as Oracle or SAP is desirable
- Experience with data analysis and reconciliation of financial data from two or more sources using Ms excel or similar tools is desirable.
- Working experience with Budgets, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable or Treasury functions is desirable.
- Experience with International Public Sector Accounting Standards (IPSAS) is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.