FREE CAREER COACHING for You
Get Your Career in The Right Path
G-United Volunteer Graduate Assistants Jobs Opportunity Kenya
Greatness United (G-United) is an annual national volunteering programme that was launched on September 2014 by the Presidency of the Republic of Kenya, and is implemented by the Ministry of Education, with technical support provided by Evidence Action.
Volunteer Graduate Assistants
The primary aims of the programme are to:
- Strengthen and support primary education outcomes – educational outcomes such as early literacy skills will be enhanced, by volunteers under the guidance of teachers, providing remedial support to pupils who have been identified as requiring extra support.
- As mentors, volunteers will be challenged to inspire, motivate and cultivate a culture of greatness at the primary schools in which they have been deployed. Acting as ‘education ambassadors’, volunteers also promote school enrollment through outreach and awareness raising campaigns in their host communities.
- Promote national cohesion – by volunteering in areas other than their home or residence counties, university graduates gain invaluable exposure to diverse environments and communities. While serving in these primary schools and communities, these volunteers live with local host families, further increasing opportunities for meaningful cultural exchange.
- Create enriching personal development opportunities for the youth through community service – University graduates who are selected to participate in this volunteer programme will develop essential professional and life skills, having gone through extensive training and practical experience that will contribute towards making them better individuals.
A Life – Changing Experience
- Becoming a G-United volunteer, known as a Volunteer Graduate Assistant (VGA), is a great opportunity for self-driven, hardworking and passionate young Kenyan graduates to travel to counties other than their home counties and become a generation of leaders and changemakers.
- Volunteers become ‘education ambassadors’ who provide remedial education support to young learners in order to contribute to the improvement of the quality of education in Kenya.
- In addition to receiving related training from a host of professionals and life coaches in the course of their service, G-United volunteers are encouraged to initiate social community projects of their choice, which help improve the quality of living locally.
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
What Do Volunteer Graduate Assistants Do?
- G-United volunteers undergo a week of training which equips them with the necessary skills for their placement.
- This training includes an Introduction to Reading Aloud with young learners faciliated by the Kenya Institute of Curriculum Development, the importance of National Cohesion by the National Commission for Integration and Cohesion as well as personal development sessions and courses such as on Personal Branding and Entrepreneurship and Life Coaching.
- After their training, VGAs are deployed in pairs to their placement counties – these are counties other than their home counties.
- This gives the volunteer an opportunity to experience a new environment other than what they are used to, and interact with Kenya’s rich cultural diversity.
- They primarily support school teachers by helping in remedial education through Read Aloud Sessions with young struggling learners who have been identified as lagging behind in classes 2 and 3.
- Volunteer Stories
How to apply
First, as a Kenyan national, ensure you meet the minimum requirements outlined below:
- a University graduate
- aged 21-30 years old
- If your answer is ‘YES’ to each of the above, then
- Interested candidates should apply online by 30th October, 2018
For more information and application, Click here
How to Apply for a Job by Email in 2020 and Get The Job Interview