Become a Certified Project Management Specialist
Cholera outbreaks caused by Vibrio cholerae are endemic in Kenya and the East Africa region accounting for nearly 10% of all cases reported from sub-Saharan Africa and the case-fatality rates remain above 2.5%, which is unacceptably high. Cholera is spread through consumption of fecally contaminated water or food. Investigating the relationship between cholera occurrence in terms of dominant hotspots and various environmental and human factors associated with the hotspots is important for managing cases and preventing future outbreaks. Whereas WASH interventions have been recommended by various studies as a control strategy for Cholera, the critical intervention pathways that have the most significant public health impact are not known. We propose to study hotspots identified from previous outbreaks and from ongoing outbreaks in Kenya using drone technology to map areas for immediate sampling, exposure risks and most critical transmission pathways surveillance.
The project has opportunities for the following positions:
- Position: Fieldworkers (7 positions) KMR 8
- Location: Nairobi
- Reports to: Study Manager
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
The field worker will report directly to the study manager. S/He will be responsible for administering informed consent to biological parents or caretaker to children and also adults before enrolling them into the study, collecting stool samples for cholera testing, collecting environmental samples for cholera testing and administering questionnaires using tablets as stipulated in the protocol. The Field worker must ensure that the data collection in the field is conducted in the highest standards possible as per the study protocol. S/he must be flexible and work within the existing structure, in a professional and ethical manner with competence, accountability and integrity
- Minimum of a Diploma in any biomedical Sciences
- Good English and Swahili, both spoken and written
- Must be able to write brief reports and keep records.
- Must be computer literate
- Must be a team player
- Experience in collection of stool and environmental samples also an added advantage.
- Experience in household survey is an added advantage.
Specific Tasks and Responsibilities:
- Consent study participants
- Collect stool samples as per the protocol
- Complete study forms and books accurately and completely
- Ensure proper labelling and tracking of samples and accuracy before leaving the households and Clinics.
- Communicate with the Study Manager on any issues from the field
- Work closely with community volunteers and clinic staff
- Ensure that there are requisite supplies and procured in good time
- Attend study field briefs and share progress of work
- Be courteous, respectful, proactive, conscientious, punctual, honest and hardworking
- Work closely with the Team leaders.
- Must be flexible to work during weekends and Public holidays.
- Be responsible for the study supplies and equipment’s while in the field.
- Perform any other duties assigned or delegated by the Study Manager.
Terms of Employment: 1-year renewable contract as per KEMRI scheme of service and a Probation period for the first 3 months.
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should submit their application together with a detailed CV by email to: Director, Research and Development (firstname.lastname@example.org), or address to
The Director General; P.O Box 54840-00200, NAIROBI. Attention: Director, Research and Development, CLEARLY marked with Title of Job Advert not later than December 16, 2019. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted
Click Here to view other Job openings at KEMRI