PUBLIC INFORMATION OFFICER (Head of Social Media)
- Job Opening ID: 222410
- Job Network : Public Information and Conference Management
- Job Family : Public Information
- Category and Level : Professional and Higher Categories, P-4
- Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Environment Programme
- Date Posted : Jan 3, 2024
- Deadline : Feb 16, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system, and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment.
Its Our mission is to provide leadership and encourage partnership in caring for the environment by inspiring, informing, and enabling nations and peoples to improve their quality of life without compromising that of future generations. UNEP’s Communication Division raises the organization’s profile, informs policies and influences attitudes, behaviour and decisions related to the environment worldwide.
This position is located in the Communication Division of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) at the Nairobi duty station. Under the direct supervision of the Chief of Digital Strategy, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties.
- Takes the lead in strategy, planning, development and implementation of UNEP’s multilingual social media strategy.
- Provides advice and expertise to managers, senior officers and other public information staff on a range of issues related to social media usage, engagement methods, and approaches; anticipates and resolves issues/problems.
- Prepares or oversees preparation of a diverse range of social media assets and materials in support of major campaign initiatives.
- Evaluates results and impact of social media activities, reports on developments, trends and attitudes regarding the UN.
- Works with strategic partners, communication peers, as well as colleagues across UNEP and the UN system, to ensure UNEP’s work is coordinated, amplified and highly visible on social media platforms.
- Manages two teams: one focused on social media and the second focused on translation; maximize efficiencies and productivity; manage budgets; develop and manage vendors on long-term contracts.
- Collects and analyzes data to identify trends or patterns and provide insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods to enable data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Performs any other duties as may be assigned.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of different aspects of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to effective social media communication and engagement. Ability to address a range of issues in the context of political developments, public attitudes and local conditions. Ability to conceptualize, design and implement major and complex social media strategies. Ability to rapidly analyze and integrate diverse information from varied sources. Ability to diplomatically handle sensitive situations with target audiences and cultivate productive relationships. Ability to produce a variety of written communications products in a clear, concise style. Ability to deliver oral presentations to various audiences. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
TECHNOLOGICAL AWARENESS: Keeps abreast of available technology; understands applicability and limitation of technology to the work of the office; actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; shows willingness to learn new technology.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in communication, journalism, digital media, information studies, marketing, international relations, or related field. A first-level university degree with in combination with an additional two (2) years of relevant work experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of seven years of social media, website, digital communication and engagement, marketing or directly related field is required.
- Experience managing multilingual social media accounts for a large global organization is required.
- Experience managing personnel is required. Experience designing and implementing paid social strategies is desirable.
- Experience working for a science-focused organization is desirable. A minimum two (2) years or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot