- Job Opening ID: 226196
- Job Network : Management and Administration
- Job Family : Human Resources
- Category and Level : General Service and Related Categories, G-5
Duty Station : NAIROBI
- Department/Office : United Nations Office at Nairobi
- Date Posted : Jan 19, 2024
- Deadline : Jan 25, 2024
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
Org. Setting and Reporting
The United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON) is the UN headquarters in Africa and the Director-General of UNON is the representative of the Secretary-General in Kenya. UNON supports programme implementation of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP),the United Nations Human Settlements Programme (UN-Habitat) and the Resident Coordination System (RCS) globally, as well as other UN offices in Kenya, by providing administrative, security, conference and information services (www.unon.org).
Those positions are located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Talent Management Centre (TMC). The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Human Resources Officer. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
RECRUITMENT AND PLACEMENT:
- Assist in processing vacancy announcements.
- Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions, including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
- Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracking status of vacancy announcements
- Assists in the recruitment of consultants and individual contracts, including posting of job openings, review and placement of consultants and individual contractors.
- Reviews and processes personnel actions through the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (known as Umoja in the UN).
LOCAL OUTREACH INITIATIVE:
- Assist on local outreach initiatives to attract potential talent e.g., university career fairs, online webinars, social media platforms like LinkedIn, etc.
- Assist on local head-hunting initiatives to attract potential talent to apply for advertised vacancies.
- Assist in the building and maintenance of rosters for pre-qualified candidates across critical Job families for ease of recruitment during surge or urgent recruitments.
- Maintains HR related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; sets up and maintains files/ records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
- Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
- Assists in the organization and conducts of training courses and workshops
- Performs other related duties as required.
PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Supplemental training in human resources, administration or related area is required.
- A minimum of five (5) years of progressive work experience in human resources, administration or related field is required out of which 1 year should be in recruitment. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience in the use of recruitment tools like PeopleSoft or Inspira is desirable.
- Experience in using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as SAP is desirable.
- 1 year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
- NOTE: “Fluency equals a rating of “fluent” in all four areas (read, write, speak, understand) and ” Knowledge of” equals a rating of ” confident” in two of the four areas.
- Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment, such as a written test, which will be followed by a competency-based interview by phone or teleconference.
UN Jobs CV review >> Submit your CV here
I’m Daniel Mutuku, a Career Coach. I help professionals get jobs with the UN, NGOs and international organisations.
Discover and unlock your full career potential and achieve your top career goals. As your career coach, I will support you through the application process, all the way until you secure the job.
Professionals who want to get a job that pays them well for their skills, experience and who strongly want to be in charge of their professional life always have a COACH.
“It is never too late to be what you might have been.”—George Eliot