Become a Certified Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
The International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) seeks to recruit Field Coordinator – Turkana to Coordinate field activities aimed at increasing pastoralist livestock productivity and market linkages (through increased access to inputs and services as well as uptake of productivity enhancing technologies), working closely with development partners and the Turkana county government ministry/department.
ILRI works to improve food and nutritional security and reduce poverty in developing countries through research for efficient, safe and sustainable use of livestock. It is the only one of 15 CGIAR research centres dedicated entirely to animal agriculture research for the developing world. Co-hosted by Kenya and Ethiopia, it has regional or country offices and projects in East, South and Southeast Asia as well as Central, East, Southern and West Africa. www.ilri.org
- Coordinate field activities aimed at increasing pastoralist livestock productivity and market linkages (through increased access to inputs and services as well as uptake of productivity enhancing technologies), working closely with development partners and the Turkana county government ministry/department.
- Establish and manage stakeholder relationships that improve the ability of the team to achieve the agreed outputs and outcomes.
- Ensure timely and appropriate implementation of project activities.
- Support project monitoring activities.
- Undertake preparation of regular reports on project field activities
- Master’s degree in Veterinary, Livestock Production, Animal Health, Development Studies, Project Management or Rangeland Ecology/ Management with experience in implementing development projects OR a bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5 years’ experience implementing development projects.
- Field experience in implementation of livestock development projects in the Kenyan ASALs – especially in the area of livestock husbandry, animal health, livestock production and farmer/pastoralists’ market linkages.
- Demonstrated experience working in collaborative development projects involving multiple partners and including good understanding of both National and County Government programs and processes under the State Department of Livestock.
- Demonstrated experience in coordination of field activities and supervision of field staff.
- Proven experience in program management and monitoring & evaluation.
- Good interpersonal, facilitation and communication skills especially to diverse audience and targets.
- Ability to work in multi-cultural environment and foster teamwork.
- Ability to work with limited supervision and to take initiatives.
- At least five (5) years relevant work experience
- Strong analysis skills (qualitative and qualitative)
- Strong and evident report writing and editing skills is a requirement for this position
- Previous experience and exposure to USAID funded project requirements is an added advantage
(NOTE:Are you feeling stuck in your career? Get FREE career and professional consultation, coaching and mentoring.Join us for the FREE Professional Development Training.We have limited space. Book your spot here.)
Terms of Appointment
These are Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position; based at Turkana, Kenya and open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on Fixed Term contract upto a period ending on 31st December 2020.
This position is job level 2D, ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply
(NOTE: Not sure where to get started on your cover letter? Check our NEWLY UPDATED cover letter template for NGOs for FREE! You can copy and paste this proven sample to create a lasting impression and get invited to the interview right away. Get it here.)
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab. The position title and reference number REF: AVCD/02/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
- Proactively coordinate the tendering process for both goods and services, ensuring that the process follows best practice and ILRI’ tender policies.
- Support in the bid’s Evaluations/ analysis for all purchases(goods/services)
- Carry out price surveys and maintain price list for routinely purchased items from preferred vendors and ensure prices charged by the suppliers are the market prices.
- Ensure ILRI supply chain procedures are adhered to while purchasing goods/ services required by ILRI.
- Coordinate the procurement of the overseas purchased goods/services
- Ensuring all specifications in the purchase requisitions are captured in the requests for quotations and subsequently in the purchase order and that the delivered goods conform to the requesters specifications.
- Work with the procurement committee as per ILRI Supply Chain Policy to source for suppliers who are not in the prequalification list.
- Coordinate with the Supply Chain Manager on procurement planning and budgeting ensuring all the unit needs are captured and taken care of
- Tracking in-coming shipments of ordered goods, reviewing completeness and accuracy of shipping and confirming timely arrival of the right quantity and quality of delivered consignments;
- Ensure the turnaround time for purchase requisitions is as per the shared Supply Chain service charter and in conformity with customer needs.
- Maintain up to date records for all procured goods and services, including approved budgets and supporting documentation: purchase requisitions, quotations, bid evaluations, purchase orders, and related documents;
- Assist in communicating changes in the supply chain policies to both Internal and external customers and responding to audit queries on time.
- Liaise with the ILRI legal team to ensure compliance with all applicable laws and policies in the preparation of Service Contracts and Service Level Agreement (SLAs) and service contracts.
- Assist in the drafting framework agreements and other related agreements for preferred suppliers.
- Participate in preparing prequalification documents and appraising prequalified suppliers.
- Coordinate vendor performance management review using the approved institutional tools and participate in decision making based on the evaluation.
- Bachelors’ degree in Science or Laboratory technology or Purchasing& Supply Chain Management plus a post Graduate Diploma in Laboratory technology or any other relevant degree from a recognized University or an equivalent qualification.
- Five years working experience in a busy procurement environment and at least 2 years in a busy Biosciences research program would be desirable.
- Professional qualifications in Purchasing and Supply Chain Management, preferably from CIPS
- Computer proficiency (Email, Internet, Word, Excel, Access or other data-base management, knowledge of automated Supply Chain Software’s would be an added advantage.)
- Membership with recognized professional bodies like CIPS and KISM
Terms of Appointment
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position based at ILRI.
It is open to Kenyan nationals only. The position is on a 3-year contract, renewable subject to satisfactory performance and availability of funding.
This position is job level 2D ILRI offers a competitive salary and benefits package which includes; pension, medical and other insurances for ILRI’s Nationally Recruited Staff.
How to apply
Applicants should send a cover letter and CV expressing their interest in the position, what they can bring to the job and the names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to the Director, People and Organizational Development by clicking on the “Apply Now” tab above before 22 April 2019. The position title and reference number REF: PO/CS/4/2019 should be clearly marked on the subject line of the cover letter.
ILRI does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, interview meeting, processing or training). ILRI also does not concern itself with information on applicants’ bank accounts.
Qualified women applicants are encouraged to apply