Workplace of the Future
Post Covid 19 Are You Ready?
Free Live Workshop Register here
Position: Senior Officer (Off-Grid Solar)
- Nairobi, Kenya
- Contract type: National employment contract
SNV is a not-for-profit international development organization that applies practical know-how to make a lasting difference in the lives of people living in poverty. We use our extensive and long-term in-country presence to apply and adapt our top-notch expertise in agriculture, energy and WASH to local contexts. SNV has an annual turnover of €130 million, over 1,250 staff in more than 25 countries in Asia, Africa and Latin America. We are proud to be a not-for-profit organization that uses project financing to implement our mission. This requires us to work efficiently and to invest in operational excellence.
Within the Energy sector, SNV is a facilitator of commercially viable markets for renewable energy products and services for households and SMEs. We provide advisory services to private, public and non-governmental organizations for improved access to energy for underserved populations within rural, peri-urban as well as urban areas.
About the Project
To achieve Vision 2030 and the target of universal access by 2020, the Government of Kenya (GoK) seeks to close the access gap by providing electricity services to remote, underserved areas of the country. With US$150 million of financing from The World Bank, the GoK intends to deliver the Kenya Off-Grid Solar Access Project for Underserved Counties (K-OSAP), to support the use of solar technology to drive electrification of households, enterprises, community facilities, and water pumps. SNV is implementing the Facilities Manager role for “Component 2: Stand-alone Solar Systems and Clean Cooking Solutions for Households” (US$47m), since November 2018 to June 2023. This component is split in a Debt Facility and a Results-Based Financing (RBF) Facility for stand-alone solar systems and clean cooking solutions for households. SNV is responsible for the successful operationalization, launch, and administration of the RBF Facility.
You will provide technical assistance to the project, advice on solar electricity technologies and management of the solar RBF. You will ensure timely project implementation and value for money in achieving the project development objectives in fourteen (14) underserved counties namely Turkana, Samburu, West Pokot, Isiolo, Marsabit, Mandera, Wajir, Garissa, Tana River, Lamu, Kilifi, Kwale, Taita Taveta and Narok in six (6) phases.
(NOTE:Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2019 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID.Get the details here)
The Senior Officer, off-grid solar solutions will report to and support the Project Manager to implement the off-grid solutions sub component by:
- Provide support and advice on the deployment of solar home systems
- Ensuring the formulation of tendering procedures and drafting of all document requirements to ensure the conclusion of successful bidding and negotiations of the solar systems;
- Preparation of Terms of Reference for the solar stand-alone systems;
- Working with others to ensure that appropriate designs and size of solar systems.
- Ensuring that the outputs which are to arise from the project are of high quality and meet the stated objectives;
- Providing technical advice at the planning, management and implementation stages;
- Liaising with global scientific and technical community and feed the project with the latest information and data on relevant technologies and experience;
- Participating in project meetings and providing inputs on the quality, quantity and timeliness of progress against the work plan;
- Providing inputs for the preparation of Progress Reports, Annual Project Reports and Project Implementation Reviews;
- Ensuring capacity building of counterparts and other local staff to ensure effective skills and technology transfer;
- Ensuring proper and speedy implementation of the project by ensuring agreed and contracted technical designs, specifications and standards comply and are in accordance with sound engineering practice;
- Offering advice on suitability of the proposed business model for the solar systems;
- Documenting the lessons learnt in the implementation of the project and making recommendations for future interventions;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the Project Manager
- Advanced degree in finance, economics, business administration, international development or related field
- A minimum of three years’ experience in development, implementation and management of results-based financing (RBF) or other grant-oriented transactions
- A minimum of three years’ experience in the off-grid solar market in Sub Saharan Africa, ideally including PAYG solar
- Understanding of success factors of for-profit businesses
- Design and management of monitoring and evaluation processes
Desired start date: as soon as possible.
Duration of contract: 1 year renewable contract
Working at SNV
SNV offers a competitive salary and comprehensive benefits package, per national standards. We offer a challenging work environment, opportunities to lead and innovate, and a commitment to growing your skills in a fulfilling and diverse working environment. Advisors benefit from and contribute to an internal global network of experts.
How to apply
Please apply by clicking on the “I AM INTERESTED” tab on this page and submitting an application letter and CV that contains three referees in English before 08 November, 2019.