Are you still using the OLD and OUTDATED CV format?
CV Format UPDATES for the year 2022 REVEALED
Find details here
Journalism Jobs, Researcher Jobs, BBC Openings,
Journalism Researcher (Nairobi) – BBC Monitoring
- Select, research, create, edit and publish profiles on personalities, organisations and source information from Africa (and any other relevant region) for BBCM’s reference content
- Be proactive and meticulous in making sure that the Reference content is comprehensive and current, reprioritising as necessary, and planning for upcoming events in the creation and maintenance of data
- Produce timely tip-offs, media reviews, news reports and background information based on the monitoring of vernacular sources from Africa and any other country for which you have responsibility
- Play a role in the planning and strategic development of research as appropriate
- Contribute story ideas and new angles on emerging narratives and long-running stories, including from a data perspective
- Actively seek feedback from BBCM’s users on our research offering; work with the Editorial Leads and the rest of the teams to interpret this and respond in a timely manner
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in BBC Monitoring and across the BBC, on regular output and bespoke products
- Ensure all output produced adheres to the highest journalistic standards and is consistent with BBC editorial guidelines
- Contribute to development of other researchers through assisting with training and mentoring
- Prepare and compile multimedia elements for publication, for example video clips, images and maps. Ability to learn and use data reference and news production systems e.g. BBCM reference database, MPS Create and CPS.
The Ideal Candidate
(NOTE: Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2021 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID. Get the details click here)
- An excellent level of spoken and idiomatic written English
- Good French
- Experience of research and reference databases (or very similar)
- The ability to juggle different tasks and competing priorities
- An understanding of the news and current affairs of Sub Saharan Africa
- An interest in international news and media developments globally
- Good interpersonal and communication skills
- Regional languages common in African media, including Kinyrwanda/Kirundi, Lingala, or other languages found particularly in Francophone Africa (e.g. Bambara, Arabic, Hausa, Fula/Peul etc). Portuguese or Spanish may also be useful.
- Experience of handling data, or tasks requiring a methodical approach and/or attention to detail and accuracy
- Experience using different tools to gather and organise information
- Flexible and comfortable to work remotely with a dispersed team
Location: BBC Offices, Nairobi, Kenya
Local terms and conditions apply
Any offer of employment with the BBC will be conditional upon you having the right to work in Kenya.
Senior Journalist Online- Somali Service
The BBC Somali Service operates a digital first strategy, publishing content online and on social media platforms, alongside producing radio news and current affairs programmes in Somali. The service’s focus is to produce world-class digital content that makes sense of news and events in Somalia and its neighbouring region for our local and global audiences.
A career at the BBC offers you an opportunity to tell stories that can change lives and at BBC Africa it is our ambition to showcase the diversity of ideas and aspirations from across the continent.
We are looking for a senior digital journalist, to be in charge of BBC Somali Digital/ online, to shape digital editorial development and delivery across all our digital platforms and to help influence the growth of digital skills and approaches across BBC Somali. You will be responsible for originating and producing stories (creatively) which may include scripting, editing, outputting, filming and presenting content across a range of BBC output.
You will oversee the development of BBC Somali digital in transforming the platform to offer original and distinctive journalism. You will curate the best visual storytelling stories for a diverse global Somali audience. As the senior member of the digital editorial team, you will help the service to build authentic connections between the BBC and its audience.
As the senior digital champion you will liaise between the service and the wider BBC and communicate the BBC digital vision and industry developments to the department. You will be reporting to Editor, Somali service and will be expected to cultivate relationships with the BBC Africa Planning teams and BBC News website teams to ensure that BBC Somali Service digital content is effectively disseminated inside as well as outside the BBC.
The Ideal Candidate
The ideal candidate will have:
- Full command and up-to-date knowledge of spoken and written standard Somali, as first language. As well as excellent knowledge of English, including complete comprehension of written and spoken English and the ability to communicate effectively.
- Demonstrable experience of imaginative and advanced use of a range of social media platforms, and an excellent understanding of the role of social media in BBC Somali’s journalism.
- Significant recent editorial leadership experience specifically in digital journalism in the target area, including in originating ideas and material, and in editing and overseeing the work of others.
- Wide, thorough and up to date familiarity with the target area which the service broadcasts and an in-depth understanding of the Somali history, politics, social issues and culture.
- Detailed knowledge of digital markets, industry trends and the latest technological developments as they affect BBC Somali’s services, including keeping up-to-date with the changes in technology, competition and the changing needs of the audience.
Interested and qualified? Go to BBC World Service on careerssearch.bbc.co.uk to apply