Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree
Working with NGOs, the UN & International Organisation
Find details here
Team Assistant, Environmental Specialist,
Female Candidates are especially encouraged to apply.
This position will be based in Nairobi, Kenya or the Mogadishu Office, Somalia (depending on the nationality of the candidate) and will focus on implementation of the World Bank’s environmental risk management policies (including the Safeguard Policies and the new Environmental and Social Framework, or ESF). All World Bank-supported investment projects must meet ambitious environmental management standards.
Note: This is a nationally recruited position intended for nationals of Kenya or Somalia. If you are not a national of these countries, you will not be selected. Remuneration is based on the national markets in these countries. If the selected candidate is a current Bank Group staff member with a Regular or Open-Ended appointment, s/he will retain his/her Regular or Open-Ended appointment. All other candidates will be offered a 3-year term appointment.
Duties and Accountabilities
The Environmental Specialist – Risk Management will have the following key responsibilities as agreed with his/her Practice Manager based on an annual Result Agreement:
• Ensure the effective integration of environmental due diligence as defined by World Bank Group (WBG) Environmental and Social Management Framework, safeguards policies as well as international good practice documents (e.g. Equator Principles) into the design, appraisal and implementation of WBG supported projects (environmental lending portfolio and analytical work).
• Provide experienced advice to client and counterpart organizations, project teams and WBG management with regard to the preparation of environmental impact assessments, including regional, strategic and cumulative assessments; environmental management frameworks and plans, including plan for monitoring, reporting and evaluation; public consultation plans; and specific plans related to natural habitats conservation, natural resource management, pest management, forest management, dam safety and international waterways management; such advice will be based on a detailed analysis of baseline conditions, project scope and impacts, requirements from national legal and institutional frameworks and, and compliance with the WBG’s operational policies.
• Provide experienced mentorship to clients in the preparation of project cycle documentation including terms of reference (ToR) for environmental safeguard instruments, such as environmental and social assessments (incl. strategic, regional and cumulative); environmental and social management frameworks and plans, Pest Management Plans, and supervising their implementation. Contract specifications related to environmental safeguards and risks management, particularly for large dams and water projects. Provide technical training for the domestic EA practitioners on the WBG safeguard policies and requirements.
• Provide environmental input in project documents in accordance with the Bank operational policies including Project Concept Note (PCN), Integrated Safeguards Data Sheet (ISDS), Project Appraisal Document (PAD) and Decision/Negotiations Packages, and assist with handling timely and accurate disclosure procedures and public consultation requirements for all required environmental assessment and management instruments.
• Work closely with the Regional Safeguards Coordinators in the Africa region who are responsible for assigning safeguards tasks and ensuring the quality of the safeguards work and environmental risk management in the Region.
(NOTE: Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree or Masters working with NGOs and the UN. Get More Details Here.)
In addition to meeting Bank-wide Grade GF level positions (see below), it is expected that the successful candidate will meet the following selection criteria:
The following are required:
• Advanced degree (PhD or Masters) in environmental engineering, civil engineering, environmental science or related field, with a strong preference for candidates with good technical training in environmental risk management related to ecology, large scale civil engineering, pollution management, solid waste management, or soil, water and groundwater remediation and clean-up.
• A minimum of 3 years of full-time relevant professional experience in the engineering risk management or environmental management sector is required.
• Fluency in English is required (writing, speaking, listening and reading)
• Fluency in Somali is required.
• Proven teamwork and successful experience working with multi-disciplinary teams.
• A strong sense of teamwork and ability to work independently with limited supervision.
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
• Willingness to travel extensively in country and possibly to other countries is necessary, including to remote rural areas.
The following would be an advantage but not required:
• Knowledge and experience in environmental assessment and management of investment projects involving large scale civil works, extractive or industrial activities would be a strong advantage, especially the experience in the preparation of environmental safeguard/risk management documents.
• Experience in Somalia, a fragile state environment, understanding the institutional and political context and exposure to the national environmental policy challenges would be an advantage.
• Demonstrated project management / project operational skills, including occupational health and safety management would be an advantage.
• Experience working with contractors that have weak implementation capacity in the area of environmental risk management would be an advantage.
Competencies (Level GF, Environmental Specialist/Engineer)
Integrative skills: demonstrates ability to think and work across WBG, practices and sectors
• Integrates divergent viewpoints of multiple external and internal stakeholders into a coherent project/program/ strategy
• Considers corporate commitments (eg Gender, Climate) in project approach.
Policy Dialogue skills: possesses political judgment, diplomatic acumen, and negotiating skills
• Builds and sustains key stakeholder relationships with government and other key stakeholders
• Guides clients and/or development partners in identifying key operational issues and optional solutions with a demonstrated ability to bring together different perspectives
• Leads task teams, participates in formal negotiations, and assists government in establishing priorities.
Knowledge and Experience in Development arena: demonstrates sound knowledge of World Bank Group’s Twin Goals and the complementarities among different World Bank Group member institutions
• Demonstrates deep understanding of policy making process and the role of own sector of expertise in that process
• Fully understands Bank’s development initiatives and policies and practices related to l ending and non-lending operations
• Guides research efforts and translates technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and contributions to country and sector strategies and for discussions with clients and development partners
• Anticipates client needs and requests and guides the development/ offering of relevant tools to clients.
Communication and Influencing Skills: demonstrates the ability to influence and persuade others to accept ideas and suggestions (such as counterparts in government, international partner organizations, academia, and Bank colleagues, senior staff and managers). Has ability to communicate and defend, orally and in writing, challenges and positions to colleagues and management
Specialized Knowledge & Technical Skills:
Environment & Natural Resources Management Technical Skills & Knowledge (Specialist / Engineer)
Demonstrates solid understanding of environmental/NRM/climate change policies, technologies or strategies, and institutions needed to support development and for the success of project and analytic work.
• Demonstrates solid understanding of the roles of each WBG institution and its relationship to environment/NRM/climate change.
• Demonstrates strong knowledge of at least one relevant thematic business line, namely “blue”, “brown”, “green”, climate change, and environmental risk management.
• Translates technical analyses into policies, operations and/or research as they relate to any of the following thematic business lines: “blue”, “brown”, “green”, climate change, and environmental risk management.
• Provides guidance and coaching to others on technical and operational matters.
For information about WBG Core Competencies, please visit: https://bit.ly/2kbIA7O.
Team Assistant-Kenya and Somalia
Duties and accountabilities: –
The Team Assistant’s duties and accountabilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
(i) Operational and administrative support • Use desktop processing skills to produce complex texts, reports, presentations, charts, figures, graphs, etc., according to World Bank format and distribution.
• Collect and input data provided by Task Team Leaders (TTLs) into the central database, including processing new project status reports.
• Keep abreast of the Organization’s directives and ensure effective processing of all project documents.
• Draft correspondence (standard letters, memos, faxes, etc.) conforming to the Organization’s regional standards, using proper grammar, punctuation and style and proofread materials;
• Schedule and organize meetings, missions, and other events;
• Draft minutes of meetings and provide assistance in editing large documents.
• Maintain up-to-date unit project files (both paper and electronic) and retrieve data from various sources and compile these for use by the TTLs. Program Leader, Country Director and/or the Country Management Unit (CMU).
(ii) Information Management and Client interaction • Answer internal and external queries on the assigned portfolio or, as necessary, take accurate and comprehensive telephone messages, and route them to appropriate persons to handle.
• Maintain current distribution lists, phone/address lists of project/product contacts, and distribute documents for the team.
• Co-ordinate with service units, and liaise frequently with team members both in Washington and in the Country Office;
• Track and report on appropriate aspects of the Team’s operational activities.
(iii) Time management & Logistics planning • Co-ordinate time management and schedules, taking current and future priorities into account, anticipate and monitor changes, and communicate the information;
• Track assigned tasks/project steps/ timetables using modern office management technologies, coordinate with relevant staff, provide assistance and/or information on project-related matters;
• Solve non-routine problems creatively and resourcefully and assist in preparation and logistical planning for various events, e.g. conferences, workshops, negotiations, board presentation and signing, etc.
• Serve as a back-up to other staff and Task Team Assistants on project and administrative tasks.
Among other criteria, the successful candidate should be holding:
• Preferably a Diploma in Secretarial Studies or Office Management or Business Administration
• Three (3) years relevant work experience in a large International or Service or Private Sector Organization;
• Proficiency in using advanced functions on Bank standard computer applications (Windows applications: Word, Excel, and PowerPoint);
• Knowledge of and ability to execute diverse work procedures related to the timely processing and production of assigned outputs and supporting administrative activities;
• Applied knowledge of Bank’s organization, procedures and practices, including Bank records management and filing procedures;
• Thorough knowledge of work procedures in assigned work unit;
• Demonstrated use of initiative and ability to make appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipate next steps; and to follow through on team priorities in the absence of the team leader and respond to requests for information;
• Ability to pass relevant Bank tests (e.g. English language, computer applications, etc.) as required;
• Committed, dedicated and team player with ability to deal tactfully and effectively with staff and clients in a multi-cultural environment;
• Proficient English skills (verbal and written), including ability to draft routine correspondence and edit materials using proper grammar, punctuation and style;
• Effective time management and organizational skills;
• Ability to produce high-quality work under pressure.
Required CompetenciesIn addition to the above selection criteria, the following competencies are expected of the successful candidate:
• Technology and systems knowledge – Demonstrates advanced knowledge and experience working with office applications (MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS PowerPoint, MS Word, MS Teams) and WebEx. Has ability and willingness to maintain up-to-date knowledge and skills as technology.
• Project and task management – Exhibits good organizational, problem-solving skills and ability to work competently with minimal supervision. Demonstrates attention to detail and quality. Has ability to manage multiple tasks and complete tasks within agreed schedule.
• Institutional policies, processes, and procedures – Demonstrates knowledge of own department’s programs and products, knows key players, understands own role. Displays understanding of WB policies and procedures relevant to the area of assigned responsibilities and is able to apply/ implement them.
• Versatility and adaptability – Demonstrates flexibility and is receptive to the implementation of new solutions. Is willing to stretch own capability. Demonstrates motivation to avail and adapt oneself to effecting change.
• Client Orientation – Exhibits positive and professional client service attitude; is able to understand clients’ needs and complete them professionally.
• Drive for Results – Takes personal ownership and accountability to meet deadlines and achieve agreed-upon results, and has the personal organization to do so.
• Teamwork (Collaboration) and Inclusion – Collaborates with other team members and contributes productively to the team’s work and output, demonstrating respect for different points of view.
• Knowledge, Learning and Communication – Has good knowledge of official unit’s language(s). Able to write clearly, edit and proofread draft communications. Able learn and share knowledge/information across the unit.
• Business Judgment and Analytical Decision Making – Able to manage information and support retention and disposition of information and records. Can search, report, and deliver basic information from various sources and independently respond to basic inquiries.