PURPOSE FOR THE JOB
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Director will be responsible for giving strategic guidance and direction in line with the vision/Mission statements of the company. He/she will ensure that the Company achieves its short- and long-term objectives to the Board. He/She should be able to manage the company’s resources, motivates workforce, cultivates strong relationships with all stakeholders and entrench a high-performance corporate culture.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Provide leadership in the development and implementation of the Company’s Strategic
- Plan and enhance profitability and shareholder value;
- Prepares and recommends to the Board of Directors for approval, the annual budget based on Corporate Strategic Plan and Annual Business Plan;
- Represents the Company at national and international stakeholder forums, including government bodies, donors and the community;
- Responds to customers’ concerns/issues and determines appropriate resolutions to maintain positive Company and customer relations;
- Mobilize resources for the expansion of water and sanitation infrastructure;
- Enhances the Company’s Corporate image;
- Promotes sound corporate governance and ethical standards;
- Gives strategic advice and presents results and findings to the Chairman and members of the Board of directors;
- Manages resources, including the attracting, hiring, retention and motivation of high performing personnel;
- Monitors the annual budget and ensures that revenue targets are met;
- Is in charge of all the company planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation to ensure that it provides safe water and sewerage services that satisfy its customers’ and the shareholders’ needs for growth and return on investment;
- Developing and ensuring that the implementation of the Company’s approved water and sewerage business strategies, policies, procedures, practices and operating plans that reflect the longer-term corporate goals and priorities as established by Board of Directors;
- Changing the culture within the Company to one more consistent with private sector principles and practices;
- Developing and maintaining good public relations with the community, the councils and the customers;
- Advising the Board of Directors concerning objectives and policies as they relate to the technical, financial and legal affairs of the Company, and to future activities in the area of water supply and sewerage;
- Formulating and periodically updating the Corporate Plan including projections of any necessary expansion or development of facilities, extensions of business operations and to ensure that the company operates in an effective and efficient manner;
- Conducting the affairs of the company such that the performance meets expectations and requirements of the Board of Directors;
- Reviewing, with senior management, budget proposals and manpower plans, for the approval by the Board of Directors;
- Making regular reports to the Board of Directors on actual performance of the company, compared with approved targets and budgets, and formulate recommendations for discrepancies to be corrected;
- Providing and sourcing for the required inputs such as finances, plant and equipment to enable the Company to provide and distribute a constant supply of portable water for domestic, commercial and industrial use and also provide adequate sewerage services; and
- Developing and implementing performance improvements strategies in major areas of the company’s operations in order to:
- Improve and monitor the quality, life –span as well as utilization of company’s infrastructure;
- Improve water purification and distribution, sewerage treatment and disposal to the required quality and standards;
- Invest the company’s funds in profitable business ventures to generate additional income for the company within the water and sewerage sector;
- Raise and sustain employees’ performance standards, engender a sense of commitment to duty and Company values;
- Improve and maintain a sound Company organization posture that portrays a positive image to the public through the quality of service provided;
- Initiate and maintain good liaison with external support agencies and other investorswith respect to potential investments in capital expenditure projects within the set guidelines; and
- Provide overall management guidance and advice to the senior staff, including directors and managers.
MINIMUM PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
For appointment to this position, a candidate must:
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Hold a Bachelor of Science (BSc) in Engineering (Civil, Water, Environmental) or its equivalent from a recognized university; or
- Hold a Bachelor degree in Commerce/Social Sciences from a recognized university;
- Master’s degree shall be an added advantage
- At least ten (10) years progressive and relevant work experience, five (5) of which must be at senior management level
- Have satisfactorily served as Technical Manager or Commercial Manager and Finance Manager or a comparable position with similar responsibilities in like organizations for a minimum period of five (5) years;
- Must be a registered member of relevant professional body and in good standing
- Have demonstrated high leadership and management capability;
- Have high degree of integrity and dependability;
- Relevant computer software skills;
- Effective decision-making skills, with the ability to prioritize tasks and implement key strategic initiatives.
- Excellent communications skills.
- Strong financial management skills including understanding and interpreting budgets.
- Strategic thinker able to effectively communicate a strategic vision both internally and externally.
- Have strong interpersonal skills.
- Able to engage varied stakeholders
- Solution orientated, driven, ambitious, and committed to finding solutions to problems.
- Be self-driven, goal oriented, issue focused, people centered, result oriented and accountable individual.
- Thrive on diversity and cope well with change.
- Must be familiar with the reform programs in commercial and public settings and demonstrable through understanding of the national goals, policies and development objectives including the Kenya Vision 2030.
- Meet the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution
Commercial and Finance Manager
PURPOSE FOR THE JOB;
The Commercial and Finance Manager is responsible for the Commercial and Finance functionof the Company, to perform financial and commercial analysis as well as reporting as needed as per the laid down procedures.
This function reports to the Managing Director of the Company.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Oversee operations of the Commercial function of the Company
- Oversee operations of the Financial function of the Company
- Formulation and implementation of sound financial and accounting policies and procedures in line with International Financial Standards (IFS) and Government regulations
- Coordinating budgeting and budget control procedures for the Company including timely preparation of annual and supplementary budgets for the Company/ Budget preparation/cashflow management review to ensure sustainability and giving strategic advice to Board of Directors
- Preparation and submittance of monthly, quarterly and annual reports for the department to the Board of Directors
- Develop department budget and work plan
- Manage reporting of financial statements/performance to board
- Conduct periodic review of actual performance against budget and explain any variances;
- Control expenditure for decision making
- Liaison with both internal and external auditors during audit processes
- Develop financial controls and procedures to ensure financial discipline;
- Effective management of recurrent and capital budgets;
- Preparation, analysis interpretation and implementation of annual performance contracts and strategic plans and issue reports on variances;
- Responsible for preparation of long-term plans, periodic forecasts, and cash flow projections
- Ensuring effective and functional financial controls systems;
- Ensuring provision of comprehensive commercial information systems, including up to date customer database to achieve the overall water supply revenue objectives;
- Ensuring timely, complete and accurate reading of meters and billing of services
- Ensure robust revenue collection for the Company and devise new opportunities for revenue generation for the Company
- Formulation and implementation of strategic measures to improve water supply revenue, collection and utilization;
- Developing internal staff capacity within the company;
- Analyze business’ financial and general operating information to identify trends and opportunities for investment/development;
- Review investment proposals to determine their viability;
- Other duties may be assigned by the managing director.
MINIMUM PERSON SPECIFICATIONS
For appointment to this position, a candidate must
- Be a Kenyan Citizen
- Bachelor of Commerce degree in Finance, Accounting or its equivalent from a recognized instituition
- Possession of a master’s degree in finance is an added advantage
- Holder of CPA K, ACCA or equivalent professional qualification from a recognized body
- Member of a relevant professional body and in good standing
- At least 8 years’ relevant work experience with at least 3 years in managerial or supervisory position; and
- Proficiency in accounting packages including sulis MIS, pastel etc;
- Have attended training in management;
- Conversant with donor reporting requirements
- Meet the requirements of chapter six of the Constitution.
Reporting to Managing Director, he/she will be responsible for coordination, control and management of the Company’s infrastructure in order to supply water and sanitation services to the required standards and in compliance with company’s policy while meeting costs and profit targets.
KEY PERFORMANCE AREAS
- Develop departmental policies, plans, strategies and action plans that are in keeping with overall company missions and objectives.
- Provide high quality water to domestic, commercial and industrial customers ensuring that all such operations are carried out in effective and efficient manner and in compliance with the legal as well as Company Provisions
- Ensure the sewerage treatment and disposal plant functions effectively and efficiently in accordance with legal and company provisions and at minimum costs
- Develop a customer focus to the provisions of services by forming and maintaining good working relationship with customers.
- Manages the company assets such as plant, machinery and other equipment through effective maintenance and repairs and installation and replacement, as well as technical audits so as to maximize return on capital investment.
- Prepare and submits comprehensive Department reports including Engineering Budgets, to the managing Director to facilitate decision making
- Provide strategic and technical leadership in the Technical Department to ensure provision of high quality services to customers.
- Steer the development of departmental policies, procedures and actions plans in line with the Company mission and objectives.
- Overseeing sourcing, production, treatment and distribution of water;
- Overseeing maintenance of the water infrastructure;
- Coordinating monitoring water levels in all the company’s storage reservoirs on daily basis;
- Ensuring undertaking technical evaluation of water applications;
- Liaising with the commercial department on issues of reconnections of previously disconnected customers;
- Ensuring regular, prompt and accurate preparation of water production and supply statistics;
- Ensure the quality checks are carried out on time and remedial action taken;
- Oversee preparation of comprehensive departmental reports and budgets, to Managing Director to facilitate decision-making;
- Ensure development of departmental staff through training and motivation
- Ensure that water infrastructure is operated and maintained to the required standards;
- Advise the Company on the acquisition of capital assets and on all technical matters;
- Provide technical expertise and advise in the acquisition of contractors and consultants for major works;
- Provide overall supervision of major works;
- Participate in setting performance targets for technical staff in the Company;
- Oversee the planning and coordination of quality, maintenance and engineering (capacity works) related issues; and
- Perform any other lawful duty as may be assigned from time to time.
Minimum Person Specifications
For appointment to this position, a candidate must
- Be a Kenyan citizen
- Have a Bachelor’s degree in Water Engineering, Civil Engineering or its equivalent from a recognized university supported by at least six (6) hands on experirnce in engineering work preferably in the water and sanitation sector or related field with at least three (3) years at senior management level
- Professional registration by Engineers Registration Board (ERB), Institution of Engineers of Kenya (IEK), Engineers Board of Kenya (EBK)or Equivalent;
- Masters degree shall be an added advantage
- Be at least 30 years of age
- Knowledge and experience in GIS shall be an added advantage
- Have wide experience in the water sector;
- Demonstrated outstanding leadership capability;
- Have demonstrated project management skills and hand on experience in managing contractors and consultants.
- Must be conversant with the water reforms.
- A self-driven person with high need for achievement.
- Satisfy the requirements of chapter six of the constitution.
- Have good interpersonal relations and communication skills.
- Autonomy and self-motivation
- Excellent organizational skills
- Strong work ethic and ability to multi-tasking skills.
Method of Application
All applicants must comply with Chapter 6 of the Constitution of Kenya 2010 by submitting up to date clearance certificates from:-
- Ethics and Anticorruption Commission(EACC)
- Higher Education Loan Boards(HELB)
- Credit Reference Bureau (CRB)
- Directorate of Criminal Investigations(DCI)
- Kenya Revenue Authority (KRA)
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- Contract (Three years’ renewable based on performance).
- An attractive remuneration package commensurate with the responsibilities of the job and the experience of the individual will be negotiated with the best evaluated candidate.
HOW TO APPLY
interested candidates can hand deliver application to BUWASSCO office or via post office to undersigned. Please submit application with detailed CV and photocopies of relevant testimonials, copy of National identity card, stating their current position, current and expected remuneration package, e-mail, contact and telephone number, two (2) colored passport size photo and names and contacts of three referees in a sealed envelope marked,
“Application for the post “CLEARLY INDICATING THE POST APPLIED” to reach the undersigned on or before Monday, 28th January, 2024
The Chair Person.
Board of Directors,
Busia Water & Sewerage Services Company Limited (BUWASSCO)
P.O. BOX 392 – 50400
Mobile No: +254 796523854
EMAIL ADDRESS: firstname.lastname@example.org
The BUWASSCO is an equal opportunity employer and women, PLWD and minority groups are encouraged to apply. Canvassing is prohibited and shall lead to automatic disqualification. Only shortlisted candidates shall be contacted. Terms and Conditions apply