Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
Managerial Jobs, Media, Advertising, Branding,
Objective of the Position:
- Develop, analyse and regularly update the Mission advocacy strategy, plans/activities and follow up on its implementation.
Tasks & Responsibilities:
S/he will perform the following main tasks, among others:-
- Develop and regularly update the mission advocacy strategy and plan; Develop and implement advocacy strategies to advance the organization’s goals and objectives. This includes identifying key advocacy issues, setting advocacy goals, and creating action plans to achieve desired outcomes.
- Monitor and analyse relevant policies, legislation, and regulations that impact the organization’s mission and initiatives.
- Identify key advocacy points that are most likely to succeed and benefit those in highest need of quality health care in line with the operational objectives of the mission.
- Create a multi-level advocacy mission strategy that targets key policy makers to increase commitment for improved health care/ access.
- Do a stakeholder analysis and build a network among relevant actors, policy makers and donor agencies.
- Design and produce information material based on the MSF guidelines highlighting the main advocacy points.
- Create a benchmark tool to set goals for measuring strategic achievements and outcomes as per advocacy strategy and plan.
- Follow-up on the mission advocacy strategy implementation and analyse the impact.
- Create increased community awareness about issues related to services provided by MSF.
Qualifications & Requirements:
- Education: Degree in communications/ journalism/ anthropology/ social/ political sciences, law, gender studies (or similar) with first- rate writing skills and excellent research / analytical skills.
- Experience: Humanitarian advocacy experience in similar contexts (Health, resource-poor environments, marginalized populations) in MSF/ INGO. Skills/
- Competences: Diplomacy, culturally sensitive, patience; proactive, attentive to details, organized; computer literate (database design/ analysis, MS package, and internetbased research).
- Strengths required: Analytical capacities, autonomous, flexible and a good team-player.
- Language: Proficiency in written and oral English & Kiswahili.
Applicants MUST be Kenyan nationals and have the necessary statutory documents (ID, NSSF, NHIF and a KRA PIN certificate). Candidates meeting the above qualifications are requested to ONLY submit a motivation letter and an updated curriculum vitae as a single file (in pdf-format), mentioning on the subject email line “Advocacy Manager – Kenya Mission” to:
The HR Coordinator
Medecins Sans Frontieres Belgium (Kenya)
Deadline for application: 06th July 2023 – 4.00 p.m.
Rationale/Objective for this Position
- The Press Officer assists the Media Manager with defining the media strategy for MSF Eastern Africa and its implementation, with an overall aim of and implementing press relations and activities in order to increase MSF’s presence in Kenyan and East African media, working to establish MSF as a referent on international humanitarian crises and topics.
Tasks & Responsibilities
- Establishes and fosters strong relationships with journalists, editors and producers within print, radio, TV and online media in Kenya and East Africa in order to expand media outreach. Updates the media contacts list on a rolling basis.
- Proactively pitches stories and contents that help to increase the visibility of MSF in Kenya and East Africa. Proposes, organizes and facilitates interviews, articles, press conferences and briefings with journalists.
- Distributes press releases and other information and materials to the media in coordination and conjunction with MSF’s international communications network and adapts them, when necessary, to the specificities of the Kenyan and East African contexts.
- Identifies, develops and implements ideas and opportunities for feature articles and interviews in external media that promote awareness of MSF, its international fieldwork and advocacy efforts.
- Coordinates and manages press requests, connecting media with MSF spokespeople, experts and field representatives when necessary. Acts as the first point of contact for institutional media enquiries from Kenyan media, in close collaboration with communications colleagues in the country.
- Monitors MSF mentions in the press, as well as other stories of interest to the organisation, producing regular reports of media narratives and trends. Analyzes trends and priority issues in the media agenda, identifying communication opportunities, risks, and advising on strategies.
- Takes part in an on-call system to respond to media requests out of hours.
- Supports other departments in the NBO, such as the East Africa Association in developing and implementing communication and dissemination strategies to achieve their specific objectives, providing the necessary validated operational information and ensuring the quality and consistency of the outputs.
- When requested, gives support to Kenya and East Africa operational missions through proactive dissemination and pitching of their communications packages and materials.
- Works closely with other members of the communications department to ensure an integrated and coherent approach to the NBO’s public communication and positioning.
- Maintains regular contact with MSF communications colleagues at a local, regional and international level, in order to share information and best practice, ensure coordination and identify opportunities.
- Is available to act as Emergency Press Officer, and travel to the field in case of major field emergencies, during a crisis, to support journalist visits or to produce content.
Administration and training
- Uploads content on the MSF EA website and digital platforms as needed.
- Provides media training and coaching on public speaking to MSF spokespeople, including staff and field workers.
- Assists with quarterly and annual reporting as needed.
- Upholds MSF principles and ethical guidelines at all times.
- Degree in journalism, communications or relevant field related to MSF´s subject area.
- Experience in journalism or press relations.
- Excellent writing, editing and communications skills in English, with another regional language an advantage.
- Knowledge of the Kenyan and East African media.
- Previous work experience with MSF or a similar medical or humanitarian organisation is highly desirable.
- Commitment to MSF’s humanitarian principles and ethical approach.
- Experience of working in a dynamic, fast paced, multicultural environment with a focus on results.
- Ability to plan and organise, as well as to be flexible to emerging events and to seize opportunities.
- Good team working and networking skills.
Application deadline: 9th July 2023
International Digital Industry Advisor
- In 2022, the MSF representative platforms of all Directors of Fundraising and Communications tasked the International Office to create an International Digital Engagement Unit to consolidate expert support to the digital engagement community within MSF.
- In the last few years, MSF is increasingly relying on social media platforms and digital engagement companies to achieve different institutional objectives including communications, recruitment and fundraising objectives. The demand for support with managing relationships with the corresponding technological companies continues to grow across MSF’s highly decentralised movement.
- There is a need for greater global coordination to develop and maintain strong relationships with corresponding companies and stakeholders in a digitalised world.
PLACE IN THE ORGANISATION
- The International Digital Industry Advisor will be a member of the International Digital Engagement Unit, which is a part of MSF International.
- This team reports directly to the International Communications Coordinator and functionally to the International Fundraising Coordinator. The unit is made up of 6 people working in different areas of digital expertise and based in different MSF offices.
- The International Digital Engagement Unit works closely with different working groups and task forces within MSF’s digital community to support communications and fundraising.
- The International Digital Industry Advisor will report to the Head of the International Digital Engagement Unit.
OBJECTIVES OF THE POSITION
- The International Digital Industry Advisor coordinates collective efforts to strengthen and maintain MSF’s relationships with the main international digital players in close coordination with different taskforces and working groups. S/he will liaise with “Big Tech companies” on behalf of the whole organisation to gain leverage, find solutions to common problems, and coordinate for common opportunities and contracts while advising them on products and services that best fit their needs.
- Develop and lead a global engagement strategy with main international digital players
- Map and consolidate existing contacts across the MSF movement with the main international digital companies and build new reliable ones on behalf of the whole organisation by connecting with internal stakeholders
- Engage closely with MSF international working groups and a wide range of stakeholders to build a system to identify, collect, and prioritise common needs within the organisation (fundraising, communication, advocacy, operational security, health promotion, mis/disinformation, fraud, branding, data protection)
- Identify and inform internally about common opportunities such as new products, marketing and fundraising features, in-kind donations, and pro bono support
- Facilitate interactions between MSF leaders and senior managers within the digital tech companies
- Oversee the development of movement-wide contracts with these companies, in close consultation with the international and market-based buyers and procurement teams
- On an ad-hoc basis, manage longer-term initiatives involving MSF’’s links with digital companies
- Exchange and coordinate with other like-minded organisations and groups to build synergies
- Stay abreast of the release of new features and new tools and provide regular information across the organisation
- Deliver expert advice to internal stakeholders across the organisation and act as technical focal point for integration of emerging new features on platforms already used by MSF
- Create a clear intersectional system to contact the main digital tech company to ask for direct support in emergency and disinformation situations
- Act as focal point when needed to report and resolve critical cases involving security and reputational issues including misinformation / disinformation
- Liaise with other relevant internal stakeholders, such as security focal points or humanitarian affairs advisors to contribute to a more integrated approach towards global digital players
- Encourage and contribute to ethical conversations about our use of specific platforms
- On occasion convey MSF concerns related to recurrent issues identified on digital platforms to relevant players
- Act as the innovation focal point especially for the Fundraising digital community
- Participate in internal MSF and industry-wide conversations regarding cryptocurrencies, meta verse engagement, social CMS, gaming, and artificial intelligence to advise digital teams on the best use of these technologies
- Actively contribute to innovation culture in MSF’s digital community
Lead on training and capacity building
- Coordinate knowledge sharing and learning opportunities for a wide range of internal stakeholders (communications, fundraising, operations, etc) on digital tech topics according to new product release, need and internal stakeholders’ requests
- Partner with tech companies to organise information sessions and training
- Potentially contribute to the out of hours team on-call rotation for social media listening or publishing to website and social media
- On occasion, take on other responsibilities in agreement with supervisor
- Genuine interest in, and commitment to, the humanitarian principles of MSF.
- At least a bachelor degree in relevant fields (international affairs, communication, marketing, digital transformation) or any other relevant field of expertise
- At least 10 years of proven experience in a digital engagement domain, or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Excellent knowledge about digital engagement and its functioning
- Able to interact effectively at all levels in a complex international organisation
- Strong interpersonal skills, including representation skills and negotiation abilities
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, organisation, and attention to detail
- Ability to work with a minimum of supervision and under pressure
- Ability to transfer knowledge effectively to train users on new systems/solutions
- Excellent team working capacity
- Coordination, and information management skills
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Fluent in English (oral and written)
- Enthusiasm, self-motivation, initiative, and resilience
Deadline to apply: 16 July 2023