Journalism jobs, Mass Communication jobs, Development studies jobs, Social science jobs,
Advocacy & Communication Officer
Overall purpose of the role:
- Overall purpose of the role: The position holder will lead on DRC Urban Area Program advocacy and communication efforts to effect positive change for urban refugees and host communities through influencing decision-makers and individuals to change their policies and practices, attitudes or behaviors to address their needs as well as strategically amplify DRC’s work in line with respective donor projects and the organizational advocacy, visibility & communications strategy/or guidelines.
Duties & Responsibilities: Responsibilities:
- Lead to develop and manage urban projects communication plans (internal and external) and activities according to DRC’s policy and guidelines to ensure and promote DRC’s urban program work.
- Work closely with Project Leads on the development and implementation of urban advocacy strategy and ensure high quality communication products that speaks to DRC’s urban program work.
- Provide technical support and advice to project staff and partners on advocacy and communication deliverables.
- Lead and support the communication of visits to the area programme so as to highlight work being done on the ground and at urban level.
- Maintain a photo repository of high-quality photos of DRC’s work in urban programme that can be used for amplifying the organization’s efforts to impact the lives of marginalized communities.
- Lead and support in developing urban programme social media content and support the Advocacy Officer in administering DRC’s social media platforms.
- Conduct regular field visit to areas of operation in urban programmes to document human interest stories, successes and impact of DRC’s work.
- Develop project information sheets, donor briefs, key messaging and other relevant materials for use at strategic events to promote and showcase impact of DRC’s work.
- Conduct advocacy & communication capacity development or training for urban programme staff and partners and come up with an action plan for follow up.
- Ensure that DRC brand guidelines and donor branding and visibility guidelines are adhered to during project implementation, procurement and external communications.
- Support DRC Urban Project Managers and the Area Manager during external representation when required to do so, budget management and donor reporting aligned to advocacy and communication deliverables.
- Support in fundraising efforts by contributing in concept notes and proposal in advocacy and communication framework designs including budgetary requirements elements.
Experience and technical competencies:
- Minimum 2 years + working on advocacy, campaigning or communications.
- Experience with building constructive working relationships with diverse stakeholders or working with networks or coalitions (work in urban refugee and host community context desirable)
- Demonstrable understanding of how change occurs and of effective advocacy and campaigning strategies including familiarity with online and social media campaigning.
- Sound understanding on the urban refugee context as well as willing and ability to adapt priorities in response to dynamic work demands.
- Strong planning, organization and problem-solving skills with ability to work both independently and within a team in a demanding working environment.
- Good analytical and strategic planning skills.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas simply, both verbally and through writing.
- Excellent computer skills with MS applications Word, Excel & PowerPoint.
- Degree in Journalism and Mass Communication, development studies or academic degree in social science with relevant 2 yrs + experience in advocacy and communication can be considered
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Fluency in spoken Kiswahili