Get a job with NGOs, the UN & International Organisations
Earn a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree
Find details here
NGO jobs, Product & Project Management jobs,
Project Officer -WASH
Reporting To: Field Coordinator Tana River
Base Location: Tana River County 100%
(NOTE: 3 Simple, Easy to do tips to make you NEGOTIATE a 6 Figure Salary like a PRO (backed by case studies and research). Get More Details Here.)
The WASH & Environment Officer will be responsible for the Planning, Design, and Implementation of all Civil and Structural activities/interventions of the project. The officer is responsible for the supervision of the technical team (if any), contractors/consultants and furthermore contribute to assist the organization in the technical supervision of WASH/Environment & related activities; and specifically support the Project Coordinator with the overall technical field support for the planning and coordination of construction and rehabilitation works. Including: –
a) To assist in designing, organizing, planning, following up and supervising all the technical field activities of the projects regarding WASH, Environment & other structural works-construction and rehabilitation works.
b) To liaise and coordinate all the technical activities related to construction and rehabilitation works in the field with the local authorities, Partners, the community representatives and other agencies and stakeholders engaged in these sectors across the project sites.
c) To manage, guide and supervise the technical WASH/Environment team, Contractors and Consultants.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Planning, Design, Implementation and Reporting 30%
- Planning and design of WASH/Environment activities of the projects as required/assigned.
- Ensure the proper implementation of all WASH/Environment activities related to construction and rehabilitation works that is timely and in coherence with the project work plan and specifications.
- Organize, manage, and supervise on a daily basis the WASH operations in the field through field visits and provide needed technical support to project team.
- Provide support and coordinating with contractors and/or suppliers of the WASH/Environment works and items.
- Provide technical guidance and expertise to the contracted service provider in charge of the works.
- Inform the project manager about any potential technical modification occurring during the work implementation and require its formal approval by the same.
- Provide upon request assistance to the implementation of the others project activities
- Technical Support
- Provide technical input to prepare or adapt technical drawings and designs of WASH/Environment activities, as required by the project and according to standard guidelines or codes
- Prepare and/or revise bill of quantities (BoQs), technical drawings and work plans related to the construction and rehabilitation works to be undertaken within the project implementation period.
- In general, provide technical input to the project manager to prepare or revise the technical documentation in every necessary tender dossier.
- Provide input to prepare and to draw reports on the technical team’s activities as required or assigned
- Keep track record of the progress of the implementation of construction and rehabilitation activities in the field and share the documents with the Area manager and/or MEAL Unit
- Report to and discuss with the Area Manager/Programme Manager on regular base any technical issues of the field activities which may have a direct impact on the general implementation of the project or of the organization’s activities in the area.
- Development and submission of quality Donor and programmes reports are required.
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Provide input to develop activities’ monitoring evaluation accountability and learning tools
- Collect, analyze, and interpret all technical data concerning the WASH activities to support the project.
- Ensure together with the technical field team the proper monitoring and evaluation of all construction and rehabilitation works executed by the contracted service providers and provide regular feedback to the project Manager
- Establishing relationship with project beneficiaries, community leaders and other community groups-while managing emerging issues, including conflicts.
- Formation and training of community Groups for project sustainability-such as Water and Environment users, Hygiene, and sanitation Groups etc.
- Participate in sectorial coordination meetings at local when requested by the line Manager.
- Keep herself/himself as well as the technical team up to date on sector working groups and local authorities’ news, reports, recommendations, requirements, etc.
- Quickly react to changes – of any kind – in the field and its context in which the WASH activities are being implemented, inform immediately the senior management about them, and contribute to finding proper adjustments
- Coordinate with other WASH actors and stakeholders in the field.
Education Qualifications and language
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering or its equivalent from a recognized university or a Higher National Diploma from recognized national Polytechnic
- Knowledge and skills in use of engineering design softwares; AutoCAD, ArchiCad, and related Add-Ons – MANDATORY
- In-depth skills and knowledge in all aspects of engineering
- Understanding of Water, Sanitation and Hygiene promotion interventions
- Excellent English language skills (written and spoken);
Essential Knowledge, skills, and Experience
· Not less than 3 years’ experience of WASH projects. Experience in ASAL Counties will be an added advantage
· Good Project Cycle Management, reporting and documentation skills
· Experience in working in unsecure zones with knowledge in Standard Operation Procedures
· Knowledge of International and National Standards/policies governing WASH programmes i.e SPHERE and Water Act 2002
· Experience in solar systems, boreholes, shallow well development works
· Proven WASH project implementation and management skills
· Experience of drafting and writing project documents or proposals,
· Experience of INGOs system in the same field,
· Experience in developing linkages with INGOs, Government agencies, Institutional donors and other stakeholders,
· Experience of working in culturally sensitive areas thereby managing circumstances through high level of diplomacy and tact.
· Demonstrated ability for strategic thinking and analysis
· Proven technical competencies in planning, design, and implementation of WASH programmes as well as sound financial skills (e.g., budgeting),
· Experience of work with a team in a multi-cultural environment in emergency and development settings and good team leadership,
· Positive and ability to build consensus in problem solving,
· A focus on results, balanced with a sensitive and honest approach to people.
Desirable Knowledge, skills, and Experience
· Programmatic expertise on the following themes: Integrated Sustainable Programmes, humanitarian interventions, DRR, gender issues, conflict, sustainable livelihoods etc
· Experience of working and providing support from a distance
· Strong computer skills (Design Packages, MS Word, MS Excel, MS Access, MS Power Point, MS Project, SPSS).
· Sympathetic with aims, values & objectives of Islamic Relief.
How to Apply
Please send us your cover letter and detailed CV, including your qualifications, experience, names and addresses of three referees, a working e-mail address and daytime telephone contacts. The forwarding e-mail and cover letter must clearly indicate the position title on the subject line. Send your application to Recruitment.email@example.com by 5th November 2021.
Please note that this is an urgent recruitment, shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis.