Medical jobs, Healthcare jobs,Perfusion Technology jobs,
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Performs duties to support cardiopulmonary bypass; maintains and demonstrates competency in the performance of all responsibilities.
- Appropriate choice and use of disposable and heart-lung machine equipment and safety devices for the performance of CPB.
- Appropriate maintenance, according to hospital practice guidelines, of the patient’s physiological parameters/variables during CPB.
- Prepares for surgery by assembling extracorporeal circuit, including connecting tubing, oxygenators, pumps and filters. Primes and de-bubbles circuit.
- Prepares, administers and monitors flow of prescribed solutions and medications including circuit prime, cardioplegia, and blood products used during procedures requiring extracorporeal support.
- Develops perfusion care plan and calculates appropriate perfusion formulae to becommunicated during preoperative briefing.
- Manages extracorporeal circuits to achieve conditions ordered by surgeon, including CPB, deep hypothermic circulatory arrest (DHCA), coronary perfusion, veno-venous bypass, or partial bypass.
- Maintains supply of blood in system and makes any adjustments needed to achieve conditions specified by surgeon or anaesthesiologist, such as changes in blood temperature, oxygen/carbon dioxide ratio in blood, or patients’ electrolytes.
- Receives and interprets blood gas values and assesses adequacy of perfusion. Adjusts and monitors heart-lung machine settings according to clinical practice guidelines for CPB.
- Monitors and maintains anticoagulation according to clinical practice guidelines for CPB.
- Disassembles extracorporeal circuits and mechanical components of the heart/lung machine and cleans all non-disposable items and disposes of contaminated materials.
- Records, updates and maintains permanent records of all cardiovascular bypass procedures.
- Participates in emergency operation of intra-aortic balloon pump during cardiac procedures.
- Prepares and manages extracorporeal support for complex vascular surgery, including descending aortic aneurysm repair.
- Prepares and manages blood conservation systems.
- Prepares and manages extracorporeal membrane oxygenation circuits for veno-arterial and veno-venous support.
- Maintains a working knowledge of appropriate equipment and strategies utilized for complex cardiothoracic and vascular surgery.
- Prepares and manages para-corporeal ventricular assist devices for patients requiring temporary ventricular support.
- Should be ready to support the hospitals’ ECMO service as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor degree from a recognized institution.
- Diploma from a Medical training College (basic)
- Certificate/Diploma in Perfusion Technology (Sub-speciality)
- Certificate in Basic Life Support (BLS)
- (Two) 2 years on the job perfusion training experience in a university teaching hospital.
- Certificates in: Cardiopulmonary resuscitation, Intra-aortic balloon pump, Biomedical pump, Auto transfusion
- Demonstrates expert knowledge in normal heart function and the various diseases that afflict the heart.
- Emergent lifesaving skills
- Recognition and assessment of patient’s and ability to intervene as required
- Ability to carry out emergent and non-emergent procedures
- Patient care skills
- Effective decision-making and judgement skills
- Basic counselling skills
- Ability to work for long hours under pressure
- Drive and openness to learning
- Time management skills
- Analytical skills
- Research skills
- Interpersonal skills
- Attention to detail
- Planning and organising skills
- Communication skills including presentation and facilitation skills
- Team working skills
Method of Application
If your background, experience and competence match the above specifications, please send your application (cover letter & CV/Resume) quoting the job reference number, testimonials and full contact details of 3 referees, to reach email@example.com not later than 31st May, 2023. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. If you do not hear from us within two weeks post application, please consider your application unsuccessful. Please note that The Nairobi Hospital does not charge any fees from applicants at any stage, nor has it engaged a third party to facilitate this hire. All communications to successful candidates will be done using official contacts as listen on our website.