Get a job with the UN, NGOs & International Organisations
Good Salary and career progression
Find details here
NGO jobs, Finance jobs, Administration jobs, UNEP jobs,
Associate Finance And Budget Officer, P2
This position is located in the Law Division-OzonAction Branch in Nairobi, Kenya. Under the overall supervision of the Law Division Head of Programme Delivery and Management Unit, and the direct supervision of the Finance and Budget Officer of OzonAction Programme, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
(NOTE: Average minimum salary 200K working as a Project Manager, Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, Consultant, Financial Advisor, Technical adviso. Massive 2021 recruitment conducted by Government, Counties, NGOs, UN, UNDP, World Bank, international development community, UNESCO, WHO, USAID. Get the details click here)
- Prepare cost estimates and budget proposals, in terms of office resource requirements such as staff and non-staff requirements, including programmatic aspects; reviews, analyses and revises data with respect to the finalization of the budget proposals.
- Provide support to programme officers with respect to the elaboration of resource requirements for budget submissions.
- Administer the allotments in accordance with the established procedures including redeployment /reallocation of funds.
- Administer and monitor extra-budgetary resources, including review of agreements and cost plans, ensuring compliance with regulations and rules and established policies and procedures.
- Monitor budget implementation and determine /recommend reallocation of funds when necessary.
- Monitor expenditures to ensure that they remain within authorized/approved levels.
- Review all requisitions generated by the Umoja system for goods and services to ensure correct objects of expenditure have been charged and confirm availability of funds.
- Prepare relevant documentation with respect to budget performance submissions.
- Review and make appropriate recommendations with respect to the finalization of budget performance reports, analysing variances between approved budgets and actual expenditures.
- Provide substantive support to intergovernmental and legislative bodies.
Assist in the preparation of the OzonAction projects:
- Monitor the preparation of project documents and their subsequent revisions, liaising with programme officers in the OzonAction.
- Ensure that proposals are in line with the Multilateral Fund Executive Committee (ExCom) requirements, including bilateral parties, and in accordance with UN Environment format.
- Review draft letters of agreement and memorandums of understanding with supporting organizations before administration clearance.
- Monitor the liaisons with supporting organizations to assist programme officers.
Assist in the coordination of project implementation of the OzonAction Programme:
- Act as focal point for all project management related matters within the Compliance Assistance Programme in OzonAction Office.
- Liaise with the programme officers, in preparing project documents, submission of projects to the ExCom, reports to bilateral parties, liaising with the Corporate Services Division (CSD), UNEP and Budget and Financial Management Service (BFMS), United Nations Office Nairobi (UNON) as necessary. Ensure that payments to the countries are processed accurately and in a timely manner and coordinate with programme officers to monitor expenditures.
Monitor expenditures on a timely basis, ensuring that they are within the approved budget:
- Liaise with UNON regarding the financial database of ExCom approvals, providing reports as requested.
- Coordinate the submission of Approval Sheets and follow up each ExCom approval.
- Inform regional coordinators, programme officers and the Chief of OzonAction Branch, on the status of funds available.
- Check UNON project accounts to ensure that expenditures are correctly reflected.
- Assist in the preparation of progress reports to be submitted to the ExCom and bilateral parties.
- Coordinate and check financial reports as well as progress reports submitted by national ozone officers and liaise with regional coordinator.
- Coordinate and check submissions of Project Completion Reports.
- Keep up-to-date on documents/reports/guidelines that have a bearing on matters related to programme, ensuring compliance with intergovernmental recommendations and decisions as well as with United Nations policies and procedures.
- Act as certifying officer, certifying the availability of adequate funds, under Financial Rule 105.5 in adherence with the UN Regulations and Rules.
- Provide data for the preparation of bids, purchase orders, consultant contracts and commercial contracts, as relevant.
- Participate in meetings, assisting in the presentation of financial reports and progress reports to the ExCom and donors.
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of financial principles and practices. Ability to independently conduct research and analysis, formulate options and present conclusions and recommendations. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- ACCOUNTABILITY: Takes ownership of all responsibilities and honours commitments; delivers outputs for which one has responsibility within prescribed time, cost and quality standards; operates in compliance with organizational regulations and rules; supports subordinates, provides oversight and takes responsibility for delegated assignments; takes personal responsibility for his/her own shortcomings and those of the work unit, where applicable.
- An advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, finance, or a related field is required. A first-level university degree combined with an additional two (2) years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) qualification or equivalent is desirable.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is an advantage.
- A minimum of two (2) years of progressively responsible experience in finance, administration, budgeting or related area is required.
- Experience in preparing financial reports to intergovernmental bodies or donors is required
- Experience working with Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) is required
- Experience in the preparation and implementation of regional programmes and projects is desirable.
- Experience in managing financial resources in accordance with the rules and regulations of an international organization is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or a related area is desirable (none if successful YPP or P-1 with a related degree).
Method of ApplicationInterested and qualified? Go to United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) on careers.un.org to apply