NGO jobs, Humanitarian jobs, Development Work jobs, WFP jobs, Project Management jobs,
Under the overall guidance of the Deputy Country Director programmes (DCD-P) and direct supervision of the Head of Programme and Technical Support Services, the Gender Officer will work on integrating and mainstreaming gender, disability inclusion at the strategic, programmatic, and operational levels across all locations of WFP’s presence in Kenya. In addition, the incumbent will provide expert advice to management and support staff with programming and implementation consistent with WFP’s Humanitarian Disability Inclusion and Gender commitments. The positions require strong gender mainstreaming and transformative programming skills programme design and analysis. The position will focus on ensuring that all WFP programme areas are engendered and result in narrowing any observed gender-related gaps while achieving gender equality, parity and empowerment. The position will ensure that strong partnerships are built with internal and external stakeholders and ensure that WFP’s zero-tolerance policy against sexual exploitation and abuse is fully integrated into programme delivery.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES Cont. (not all-inclusive)
Summary of essential support functions: Under the guidance and supervision of the Head of Programme Support, the Gender Officer is expected to lead:
- Gender transformative programme lifecycle and design, gender integration, analysis, implementation, and
- Gender mainstreaming and adherence to corporate and country office gender policy and guidelines.
- Advocacy and partnership working across the country portfolio and with partners.
- Resource Mobilization
Provide technical support to the Country Office
- Lead the implementation of the Country Office Gender and Protection Strategy (2023 – 2027) and disability inclusion action plan.
- Ensure that gender goals, objectives, processes, and activities related to protection and disability are responsive and transformative to meet the needs and priorities of women, men, girls, and boys across all diversities.
- Provide strategic and technical support for mainstreaming humanitarian protection, disability inclusion, gender equality and women’s empowerment across WFP operations in the country.
- Coordinate collecting and analyzing primary information from stakeholders (affected populations, INGOs, UN agencies and others) on the situation and experience of crisis-affected populations and provide advice and support for principled humanitarian interventions.
- Work closely with programme staff to ensure a gender context analysis informs programme design and management and identifies strategic actions to improve programme implementation and delivery quality.
- Support the capacity building of WFP staff, cooperating partners, and county and national government on gender, protection, safeguarding and disability inclusion.
- Ensure effective application of corporate gender and protection tools, establishing management targets and monitoring achievement of results for quality assurance in close collaboration with M&E and data management units.
- Maintains regular contact with programme counterparts under their supervision to ensure monitoring of projects’ progress, monitoring of unit work plans, programme effectiveness and achievement of results.
- Prepare regular progress reports achieved by the gender and protection programme following reporting requirements set by the CO in collaboration with the programme team and donors.
KEY ACCOUNTABILITIES (not all-inclusive)
Advocacy, creation of strategic partnerships and support resource mobilization
- Lead WFP’s engagement in gender transformative programming in internal and external fora and meetings related to humanitarian protection, disability inclusion and gender equality.
- Provide input and engage in policy dialogue on cross-cutting issues with the government, donors, civil society, and private sector and contribute to the development of policies as relevant.
- Participate in and represent WFP in activities to highlight fundamental gender equality and women’s human rights issues and advocate for integrating gender equality issues into the development and humanitarian agenda/programmes.
- Maintain relationships with WFP’s partners, including donors, government agencies, and NGOs, on promoting national commitments to gender equality and disability inclusion to ensure strategic partnerships and strengthen collaboration.
- Coordinate strategic advocacy activities to maximize support of the UN system, government and corporation partners on gender equality, protection, and disability inclusion in line with National and international commitments.
- Implement relevant, high-impact advocacy campaigns with key partners.
- Contribute to implementing CO partnerships and resource mobilization strategy to support the achievement of gender, protection and disability mainstreaming and integration.
- Develop ideas and concepts for possible areas of cooperation.
Provision of top-quality advisory services and facilitation of knowledge-building and management
- Identify sources of information related to gender, protection, and disability inclusion issues; synthesise best practices and lessons learned directly linked to gender and transformative programming, protection mainstreaming and disability inclusion goals.
- Coordinate and ensure gender, protection, and safeguarding issues are integrated into activity design, policy development, institutional support, advocacy, and capacity strengthening to address the country’s problems and needs in gender, protection, and disability inclusion in collaboration with the Government and other strategic partners.
- Support establishing advocacy networks at the national level and linked to international networks.
- Ensure that lessons learned are captured and recorded in the Country Office knowledge networks.
STANDARD MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- University Degree in one of the following disciplines: Gender Studies, Social Sciences, International Development, Law, Human Rights, Political Science or related field; must have specialization in gender related fields
- In-depth knowledge of gender-transformative approaches to humanitarian assistance, application of humanitarian protection principles; understanding of PSEA and other forms of gender-based violence in emergency and other humanitarian settings; understanding of gender and protection components of civil-military relations; and other humanitarian policy issues and its linkages with humanitarian assistance.
- Minimum 3 years experience at management level focusing specifically on gender in humanitarian contexts.
OTHER SPECIFIC JOB REQUIREMENTS
Knowledge: In-depth knowledge of gender-transformative approaches to humanitarian assistance, application of humanitarian protection principles; understanding of PSEA and other forms of gender-based violence in emergency and other humanitarian settings; understanding of gender and protection components of civil-military relations; and other humanitarian policy issues and its linkages with humanitarian assistance.
DESIRED EXPERIENCES FOR ENTRY INTO THE ROLE
- Experience in Humanitarian and Development work context
- Strong analytical, writing, communication and networking skills.
- Sound knowledge and skills in training and facilitation and external engagement
- Knowledge of UN system policies and functions about:
Protection principles in humanitarian assistance; and
Promotion of women’s and girls’ empowerment and gender equality
- Proficiency in English is required.