Business Management jobs, Engineering & Technical jobs, Project Management jobs, Human Resources Management jobs,
Human Resources Manager
Key Duties/ Responsibilities
- Monitor all HR activities and practices to ensure compliance with statutory requirements and company policies. Keep track of and remain abreast with the legal environment and ensure that the company is in compliance and all senior staff are aware of HR management requirements.
- Collaborate with department heads to understand business goals and build development strategies so as to have in place a strong future talent pipeline.
- Optimally manage industrial relations and act as the key point of contact with the Trade Union. Offer technical support to all managers in an effort to maintain good industrial relations
- Plan and monitor the maintenance of monthly leave schedules and ensure that department heads, managers and supervisors always provide appropriate levels of cover through effective annual leave planning.
- Develop and implement systems for managing staff records, including personal data, annual leave and off days, sick leave etc, ensuring that these are kept up to date and adhere to relevant statutory and regulatory requirements. Put in place effective manual and electronic filing and retrieval systems and ensure optimal use.
- Manage disciplinary issues in line with the provisions of the Employment Act and company policy and ensure fairness and transparency, thus minimizing instances of litigation.
- Drive grievance resolution and ensure that all pertinent issues are addressed in a fair, confidential and transparent manner where possible without becoming a legal issue. Where disputes become legal issues support the management of cases with timely provision of information to legal counsel as appropriate.
- Facilitate employee learning and development by assessing capability, identifying gaps and designing training interventions to redress them. Expected to identify business, department and individual needs and develop and roll out the training calendar activities as required.
- Ensure that all staff are contracted as per company policy and monitor to ensure timely end of probation confirmations and renewals of contracts where applicable. Develop and oversee the implementation of a comprehensive induction and orientation programmes for all new staff
- Implement employee relations, social and welfare activities, and employee support programs to create a conducive and respectful workplace and good working relationship between employees.
- Put in place systems for managing staff records, including personal data, annual leave and off days, sick leave etc, ensuring that these are kept up to date and adhere to relevant statutory and regulatory requirements.
- Effective implementation of HR policies, systems and procedures that reflect best practice
- Optimal staff who are motivated and competent to deliver the business objective
- A disciplined and engaged workforce that delivers set targets.
- An optimal industrial relations environment within the company and between the company and relevant third parties such as the Union and the Ministry of Labour
- Cost effective employee welfare plans to motivate staff
- HR Reports for management review and decision making
Academic and professional Qualifications and experience required
- Bachelor’s degree in Human resources, Social Sciences or equivalent
- Higher National Diploma in Human Resources Management or CHRP(K) qualification is desired; IHRM membership
- At least Seven (7) years’ experience managing HR processes in a labour intensive and Unionisable environment
- Solid expertise of industrial relations management and experience of working in labour intensive and unionised environments; and
- Knowledge and working experience with Kenyan Labour laws
Key Skills and Competences
- Good leadership skills with hands-on capability
- Planning, coordination, work monitoring and problem resolution skills
- Demonstrate a high degree of sensitivity and confidentiality
- Results oriented with excellent negotiation, interpersonal, communication and social skills
- A forward planner with clear focus, ardent team player and able to work with remote supervision in a diverse environment
- Good decision-making skills with a sense of diplomacy, attention for detail and good analytical ability
- Have good problem analysis and reporting skills
- High moral standing with impeccable integrity
Key Duties/ Responsibilities
- Oversee the maintenance of all machinery and equipment, ensuring cost-effectiveness, a high standard of upkeep and compliance with all safety, quality and budgetary requirements.
- Establishes, agrees and delivers against Maintenance functional KPIs, guaranteeing excellence in equipment availability and condition.
- Apply business context to determine and implement appropriate maintenance tactics: predictive, preventive, inspective, corrective, break-down maintenance to ascertain capacity and efficiency requirements.
- Develops and manages planned preventative maintenance process to support delivery of excellent equipment availability. Establishes metrics to track planned preventative maintenance effectiveness and uses data to ensure high decision quality.
- Manage the timely and cost-effective procurement of spare parts, maintenance services and supplies to support equipment availability. Procures, designs, and improves equipment and facilities in accordance with production, packaging, and safety standards.
- Maintain effective liaison with outside suppliers, vendors, equipment manufacturers and contractors.
- Maintain a safe and clean work environment in areas of responsibility.
- Ensures plant compliance with all governmental regulations and agencies such as OSHA, KEBS and other codes.
- Support implementation of continuous Improvement programs, new methods, procedures and systems to improve safety, operational efficiency, quality and food safety. Manages maintenance activities to comply with all applicable safety, food safety and environmental laws and regulations, as well as Company safety policies, food safety and quality procedures and standards.
- Responsible for identifying opportunities to enhance technology and innovation that will improve departmental effectiveness, ensuring awareness and timely acquisition of appropriate technical skills by the team.
- Lead and develop technical personnel ensuring the team has the skills to support current and future maintenance needs across Electrical, Mechanical, Welding and Plumbing disciplines. Manage, organise and coordinate the activities of the technical staff including work scheduling/planning, training and development, performance management etc.
- Conducts continuous inspections of plant and equipment to ensure optimal operating conditions.
- Establishes principles for change and maintains change momentum through employee communication, engagement and development. Also learns from, measures and sustains change results.
- Establishes effective collaboration and teamwork between the technical team and cross-functional teams including Procurement, Production, Quality and R&D teams.
- Support R&D or special projects and installations as assigned by management – effectively scheduling and managing project work to establish priorities and ensure that targeted completion dates are met.
- Optimal maintenance plans that are aligned to the manufacturers specifications and that are executed as planned.
- Achievement of plant availability targets at all times
- A competent maintenance team, that is motivated and performs to the required standards
- Maintenance activities executed within budget.
Academic and Professional Qualifications and experience required
- Electrical/Electronic Engineering Degree or equivalent/ related technical field.
- years’ similar experience in a busy food manufacturing facility. Bakery experience required.
- Proven managerial experience.
- Adequate knowledge of business and management principles (budgeting, strategic planning, resource allocation etc.
- Expert maintenance knowledge with experience in reporting key metrics
- Strong experience is automated manufacturing plants with experience of maintaining within PLC driven environments.
Key Skills and Competences
- Strong leadership, people management and motivational skills.
- Excellent communication, presentation and reporting skills.
- Exceptional organisational skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills to work with peers, outside contractors and vendors.
- Strong innovative thinking, analytical, problem-solving and decision-making skills.
- Proven project management skills.
- Responsive and flexible with a strong commitment to good service delivery.
- People development and coaching
- A hands-on approach (get under the hood) approach.
- A right first time attitude.