Reporting to the DevSecOps lead • Digital Engineering, the position holder will be responsible developing and building DevOps Platforms/processes, automation of IT infrastructure provisioning, implementing reusable and secured components, translating technical requirements, assisting and guiding throughout software development stages, and performing script maintenance and updates.
The DevOps Engineer will be responsible for building automated deployments, deploying new modules and upgrades, deploying product updates, identifying production issues, implementing integrations that meet stakeholders’ needs, completing fixes within the production environment as well as monitoring the environments and deployments for service/product availability.
DevOps Engineer’s duty will also be to make modules production-ready, which entails moving
them according to specific procedures and documenting knowledge transfer. Ultimately, he/she will execute and automate operational processes fast, accurately, and securely.
DevOps Engineer’s duty will also be applying the experience of IaC to develop infrastructure as code practice by constantly increasing automation and improving IaC processes. Share your experience, know-how, and best practices with other team members in design sessions, mentorship, and doing work together.
Being part of the technical team, he/she will evaluate existing applications and platforms, give recommendations for enhancing performance via gap analysis, identify the most practical alternative solutions, and assist with modifications.
- Recommend, Design, setup, and implement cloud-native solution for DevOps platform and processes leveraging on opensource solutions
- Setup, monitor, support, integrate, and automate security and quality scans for infrastructure and service deployments
- Write automation scripts using Bash/Java/Python/Groovy/Ruby and automate systems health visualization, use various tools to orchestrate solutions i.e., Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery Tools.
- Understand, setup and support basic ML models and algorithms for pro-active monitoring and Root Cause Analysis (RCA) for production errors leveraging on machine learning and AIOPs
- Configure and manage data sources e.g., RDBs and NoSQL and Implement solutions to improve observability and monitoring for tools/platforms and services
- Participating in the analysis and document requirements for development of new or improved infrastructure deployment automation.
- Build/integrate with tools to reduce occurrences of errors and improve deployment cycle, deploy updates and fixes, and implement integrations requested by software engineering team.
- Developing Cloud Native Applications.
- Investigate and resolve technical issues.
- Design procedures for system troubleshooting and maintenance.
- Maintain team and project management tools such as Jira, Confluence and Mural
- BSc or MS in Computer Science, Engineering, or relevant field.
- 2+ years of experience in managing Linux based infrastructure.
- 2+ years of experience as a DevOps Engineer or similar software engineering role (DevOps Certifications will be an added advantage)
- 2+ years’ experience in DevOps processes and tools (Docker, Kubernetes, Vagrant, Chef/Puppet, Ansible, Jenkins, Dynatrace, Splunk, Git, Gitops, Redis, OpenShift, Terraform, Hashicorp vault, FluxCD).
- Demonstrable experience of continuous integration tools like Jenkins/Gitlab-ci/ Tekton.
- Demonstrable experience of Infrastructure as Code tools like Terraform/Cloud-formation.
- Experience in IT across designing, engineering and development of IT toolsets in the infrastructure monitoring, analytics and AIOPS solutions (Dynatrace, Splunk, Kibana)
- Strong understanding and experience on Machine Learning (ML) algorithms for various AIOPs use cases such as classification, clustering, and anomaly detection.
- Exposure to ELK stack, Monitoring, and observability solutions (Grafana, Prometheus, Dynatrace, Splunk,), OpenTelemetry implementation, automation testing on AWS cloud-based deployments, preferably in a containerized environment.
- Demonstrable experience in Public Cloud Platforms, deployment, and operations with a focus on AWS (Professional Certifications is an added advantage)
- Good knowledge of shell scripting using Bash/Python/Groovy/Go.
- Working knowledge of programming languages such as Java or Python.
- Working knowledge of databases both RDBMS and NoSQL.
- Working knowledge of Cloud Native tools e.g. Crossplane, Liqo, opentelemetry
- Team spirit and team player.
- Excellent Interpersonal, problem-solving, good time-management, learning mentality, and communication skills.
- Demonstrable experience with continuous delivery methods such as GitOps.
- Experience and knowledge of agile methodologies
Big Data Engineer
Reporting to the Big Data Engineering Lead the position holder will design, build and deliver on the big data platform which will serve as Safaricom’s single source of truth. The platform will be used to continuously deliver on Safaricom’s overall data analytics strategy.
- Design, architect and build solutions and tools for the big data platform.
- Mediate and coordinates resolution of software project deliverables using agile methodology.
- Develop pipelines to ingest data into the big data platform based on business demands and use cases.
- Develop analytical platforms that will be used to avail data to end users for exploration, advanced analytics and visualizations for day-to-day business reporting.
- Provide guidance and advise to technology teams on the best use of latest technologies and designs to deliver a best-in-class platform in the most cost-effective way.
- Develop automated monitoring solutions to be handed over to support teams to run and operate the platform efficiently.
- Automate and productionize data science models on the big data engineering platform.
- BS or MS in computer science or equivalent practical experience
- At least 2-3 years of coding experience in a non-university setting.
- Experience in Object Oriented development
- Proficient understanding of distributed computing principles
- Experience in collecting, storing, processing and analyzing large volumes of data.
- Experience with building stream-processing systems, using solutions such as Storm or Spark-Streaming
- Experience with various messaging systems, such as Kafka or RabbitMQ
- Experience with NoSQL databases, such as HBase, Cassandra, MongoDB
- Knowledge and/or experience with Apache NiFi and Kafka
Engineer – VAS System Planning & Evolution
Reporting to the Tech Lead – VAS System Planning & Evolutionthe position holder will develop and integrate VAS Products & Services offered to Safaricom customers with the goal of delivering high quality solutions within approved schedules. The Engineer shall ensure VAS systems operate within allowed thresholds in terms of capacity and security conformance. VAS Systems comprise of all Value-Added Services which include, but not limited to, SMSC, USSD, Content delivery platform, Voice (RBT, IVR & Media exchange), Video, Device management, Cell Broadcast system and IOT solutions.
- Development, configuration and integration of all VAS solutions/systems in line with the Digital IT strategy execution plan.
- Actively participate in defining strategy, roadmaps and architecture design for the VAS Systems.
- Embrace the new ways of working in VAS domain with the goal of ensuring 50% of VAS projects are delivered through agile methodology.
- Timely delivery of projects assigned with the goal of ensuring high quality standards are met and solutions are operationally viable. Responsible for ensuring First Time Right delivery of all solutions developed.
- Enhance processes and DevOps to improve delivery, reduce toil and increase efficiency by focusing on continuous improvement.
- Accurately document products & services developed & delivered ensuring they follow DevOps Cycle.
- Embrace a DevOps culture by ensuring all developed products and Services are gracefully handed to operations for support.
- Develop and continuously update a knowledge base of best practice for VAS products and Service development.
- Collaborate with both Technical and Business teams to ensure seamless deployment of products.
- Proactively manage capacity and ensure VAS systems operate below 70% utilization.
- BSc. Degree in Telecommunication Engineering/Electrical & Electronics engineering/Computer Science/IT.
- 3 years’ experience in a busy telecommunication/ IT environment or Software Engineering with good knowledge in development for VAS solutions including Messaging, Voice, Video & IOT.
- Experience with cloud-native environments.
- Software Engineering methodologies including Agile-oriented development.
- Proficiency in networking protocols – TCP/IP, DNS and load balancing.
- Working knowledge in Linux systems and Databases – Oracle, MySQL, postgreSQL.
- Working knowledge of security encryption solutions – SSL, firewalls, VPN, IPsec
- 3rd Party RESTful API integration, PHP, MySQL, SQL server, web service working knowledge preferred.