Accounting jobs, Business Administration jobs, Finance jobs, Project Management jobs, Library Management jobs,
Senior Business Support Officer II (Manager, Information Resource Centre – Library)
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Manager, Information Resource Centre (Library) is responsible for managing library and information services for icipe’s research staff and students, including training in information literacy. The position oversees profiling and archiving of icipe research output and guides technological developments, especially in the area of electronic information services and digital libraries. The Manager is responsible for creating strategic partnerships with organizations and institutions to provide improved information services to icipe. The Manager also plays a major role in capacity building of libraries, staff and students at partner universities (‘African Host Universities’) across sub-Saharan Africa as part of the Regional Scholarships and Innovation Fund (Rsif) www.rsif-paset.org, which icipe manages.
The successful candidate will undertake the following activities:
- Manage all icipe Information Resource Centre (IRC) (library) services, including reference, acquisition, cataloguing, circulation, issuance of ISBN and electronic information services.
- Develop IRC procedures and processes, manuals and documentation including annual plans and budgets.
- Oversee the automation of the IRC and continue to transform the IRC to be a digital facility for efficient and comprehensive access to electronic scientific and innovation literature.
- Develop and deliver Information literacy training for individual scientists and students at icipe and at Rsif African Host Universities (AHUs) on how to locate, evaluate, use and manage information resources effectively, with emphasis on e-resources (e-journals and e-books).
- Develop and manage workshops for Rsif AHU librarians on management of e-resources, how to establish a successful information literacy program on campus and develop library partnerships for improved access to e-resources.
- Develop and manage IRC content on the icipe intranet site.
- Conduct needs assessments with icipe library users and Rsif AHU libraries to create needs-driven library services and training.
- Promote the icipe IRC resources to users and generate e-resources usage statistics.
- Oversee profiling of the Centre’s regular lists of publications (monthly, biannual and annual) and preparation of on-demand publication reports.
- Manage icipe and Rsif digital repositories and update the lists and links to icipe publications online.
- Manage access to icipe research intelligence tools and train researchers for optimal use of the tools.
- Manage publishing of icipe aid data on IATI, an open aid platform.
- Generate statistics and analytics of icipe and Rsif PhD scholars’ publications and respond to queries on publications.
- Create and maintain collaborations with strategic partners locally and internationally to improve access to e-resources at icipe and Rsif AHU libraries.
- Stay current with the latest developments in library management and information literacy.
- The position may include travel to Rsif AHUs across sub-Saharan Africa.
- Master’s degree in library and information sciences, or similar.
- At least 8 years progressive work experience with 4 years at senior level in library management; development of digital resources and access; information literacy training; capacity building of institutional and university libraries; creation of partnerships, nationally and internationally, for improved access to information resources.
- Experience in library and information management, including preparing budgets, planning and strategy execution.
- Experience in library automation, digital libraries and related technologies.
- Experience in developing and delivering training in information literacy and library management.
- Experience in managing digital repositories and websites.
- Experience in academic publishing and reporting scientific output.
- Experience in creating and developing strategic partnerships, nationally and internationally, for improved information access and use.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, organizational skills and pays great attention to detail.
- Excellent presentation skills.
- Action-oriented and resilient in a fast-paced environment.
- Ability to manage a complex and varied workload and work under pressure.
- Ability to work with multi-disciplinary groups.
- Strong relationship building skills and ability to adapt to changing circumstances.
- Knowledge of digital library systems.
- Strong IT skills and familiarity with the use of databases.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office suite.
- Working knowledge of French would be an added advantage.
Other Desirable Attributes
- Make decisions for library activities with latitude for discretion within established and defined policies.
- Carry out and supervise the activities of a functional area/unit and supervise staff within the IRC.
- Preparation of the IRC budget and day-to-day use of the budget for IRC operations, with approval of the Head of Capacity Building and Institutional Development.
- Contribute to research publications, and publications that promote icipe and the Rsif.
- Contribute to proposals that include development of information resources and information literacy capacity building; and contribute to Centre’s research output reporting for donor funding.
- Create and maintain strategic partnerships with national and international information resources organisations, academic and research organisation libraries, publishers, and capacity building/training partners, for the benefit of icipe and Rsif partner African universities.
- Represent icipe at national and international information resources/library meetings/workshops/conferences.
- Maintain active membership with strategic organisations for improved, cost-effective access to information resources, including Kenya Libraries and Information Services Consortium (KLISC).
This position reports to the Head, Capacity Building and Integrated Sciences.
Business Support Officer I (Project Assistant)
Overall Purpose of the Job
The Project Assistant provides administrative support to the Regional Coordination Unit of the Regional Scholarship and Innovation Fund (Rsif).
- Maintains database of key contacts for the Theme/Programme.
- Handles maintenance of office assets and keeps an inventory of equipment, vehicles and procured supplies.
- Prepares and maintains lists of staff, visiting scientists, consultants and students in the Theme/Programme.
- Creates and manages electronic and manual filing systems, and maintain and update files and records, archiving and storage.
- Responds to routine correspondence, and handle e-mail, telephone communication, requests, enquiries and other communication systems and processes to appropriate parties.
- Assists in organising internal and external meetings for proposal development and other events (e.g., folders and materials, registration forms, workshop programmes and name tags, follow up on payments and settlement of working advances, documentation, and proceedings).
- Assists in preparing meeting materials.
- Prepares payments to meeting participants, where necessary.
- Maintains publications database.
- Assists in tracking progress of activities in annual work plan.
- Supports the collection of documents required in drafting partner and donor agreements.
- Keeps electronic and manual records for project agreements and other project documents.
- Participates in meetings and assists in preparation of minutes.
- Assists with project staff travel arrangements and logistical support in conjunction with the relevant units, including handling of travel requests and travel expense reports, accommodation, and travel advances.
- Receives accounting reports from partners and reviews them before submitting to supervisors for approval and thereafter to finance for review. Once the reports are approved, in liaison with the supervisor, initiates the process of replenishing the collaborating/ partnering countries’ imprest and/or instalments as per the agreement.
- Maintains various data bases e.g., funds transferred to partners for ease of follow-up and reference when processing the requisitions and payments.
- Follows up on any financial issues within the Theme that need clarification.
- Coordinates the maintenance of documentation of all project assets and documents to facilitate project closure.
- Bachelor’s degree in business administration, project management, or a related field.
- At least 2 years’ work experience in a business support role.
- Experience working in an international organization.
- Finance or Accounting knowledge is an added advantage.
- Knowledge of basic French is an added advantage.
- Experience in facilitating teamwork and collaboration across multiple functions.
- Effective communication and writing skills.
- Effective administrative skills.
Other Desirable Attributes
- Expected to analyse, solve problems and make decisions within own work area with approval from the supervisor.
- Supervises tasks that are mostly routine in own job activities.
- Expected to handle travel imprest, make payments to participants and accountability for advances.
This position reports to the Senior Business Support Officer I (Project Support Officer)
Business Support Officer II (Treasury Accountant)
Overall Purpose of the Job
- Preparation of the Centre’s monthly Payroll, ensuring accuracy and timeliness, to meet the internal and statutory obligations.
- Reconcile Payroll Control Accounts in the ledger and submit monthly Statutory Returns.
- Ensure correct Payments and receipts through verification and confirmation that payments are timely, correct, and accurate.
- Ensure journals are captured correctly including e.g., correct amounts, budget codes, tax deductions, etc.
- Ensure bank reconciliations are timely prepared and outstanding items are resolved promptly.
- Support and coordinate the Institutional Audit process within the unit.
- Support the Senior Treasury Accountant.
- Create the profile for new employees from contracts, ensuring that the correct employee numbers, contract periods, personal details, tax status, and basic salaries are captured.
- Update the employees’ profiles with contract extensions, terminations, promotions, resignations, etc.
- Prepare payroll upload templates for deductions and incomes, reconcile with previous month and upload into the payroll system.
- Print the Payroll reconciliation reports and verify the totals against individual Payroll reports and forward for verification by the Senior Accountant.
- Upload the statutory monthly returns onto the respective websites.
- Initiate payment for statutory deductions and send remittance advice to the respective institutions, e.g. Sacco, ISCA, Pension service providers, etc.; after payment is done.
- Reconcile the Payroll Control Accounts (e.g., Withholding tax, NSSF, NHIF etc.) in the ledger, ensuring that payments net off the Payroll Journal amounts posted.
- Provide the payroll reports, documentation and/or information internally as required i.e. pay slips, audit reports etc.
- Maintain proper filing of all payroll reports and supporting documents.
- Provide excellent internal relations with staff and deal with all payroll-related queries.
- Initiate payment requests in the ERP, print approved payment requisitions, attach support documents, and ensure correct bank details and amounts are captured and forwarded for approval. i.e. for Staff advances, Refunds, Casuals, RSIF payments, Consultancies, Cheque payments for staff & suppliers, and imprests ensuring the correctness of transactions.
- Initiate receipt requests, ensure accuracy of income, generation of receipts, and distribution.
- Prepare the journal templates, ensuring correct budget codes, amounts, and descriptions are captured and uploaded in the ERP to ensure preparations are prompt to avoid delays in posting and committing expenses in the ledger.
- Prepare bank reconciliations, ensuring they are done accurately and promptly, and follow up on outstanding reconciling items with the bank or project and ensure closure.
- Provide various bank reports e.g. funds received, and bank charges analysis.
- Coordinate and provide supporting documentation and/or information on the internal process that is required for audit purposes.
- Request for year-end Audit confirmation on bank balances from all our banks and follow up to get the bank responses.
- Stamp, allocate, and maintain proper filing of all payment reports and supporting documents.
- Support the Treasury team and perform any ad hoc tasks as required by the supervisor.
- Accounting degree in business administration/finance required with CPA-III.
- Well-rounded accounting background of three or more years with experience with multi-currency payments.
- Experience with Payroll operations.
- Knowledge of human resources and payroll software is preferred.
- Excellent skills using MS Word, Excel, Access, and Internet Explorer.
- Familiarity with Navision or other accounting system.
- Understanding of relevant labour legislations.
Other Desirable Attributes
- With the approval of the supervisor, the staff is responsible for decision-making in his job function.
- Staff can solve problems in conjunction with others.
- Supervision of temporary staff and Interns.
- Preparation and confirmation of the necessary payroll reports.
- Prepare various bank reports e.g. interest income, funds received, and bank charges analysis.
This position reports to the Manager, Treasury Accounting.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be accepted up to 7th December 2023.Interestedapplicants should submit: (a) a confidential coverletter; (b) detailed CV with names and addresses of 3 referees, including e-mail addresses; and (c) a statement illustrating suitability against the listed qualifications/competencies/abilities, and skills.
Candidates are required to apply online through: http://recruit.icipe.org or by Email: firstname.lastname@example.org