Public Administration jobs, Media jobs, Advertising jobs, Branding jobs, Data Science jobs, Research jobs, Statistics jobs, Environmental statistics jobs, Environmental science jobs,
Chief of Section, Content Production (4 months), P5
- Planning, monitoring, and assessment:
- Plan, monitor, and assess the Section’s work, including outsourced work, in the context of the Division’s project commitments to UNEP’s Programme of Work and its Medium-Term Strategy.
- Manage and oversee the section which consists of an editorial unit (production of web stories and editing of publications), a design unit (for digital and printed media, including publications), a multimedia unit (videos, photos, audio), and a publishing unit (coordination of all UNEP publications).
- Manage the section’s financial and other resources, including the procurement of goods and services, in accordance with the Organization’s policies, procedures, regulations and rules.
- Strategy and innovation: Provide overall strategic direction to the work of the section, with appropriate strategic framing for the requirements of the section’s clients, underpinned by a sustained innovation strategy that delivers the mandate of the section at the cutting edge of associated industry practices, techniques, technologies, and approaches.
- Executive editor, publisher, and producer: Under the Director’s delegated authority, fulfill the functions of executive editor, publisher (including e-publishing), and producer, accountable for the cost and quality control of the Organization’s relevant communication collaterals.
- Resource mobilization: Mobilize and manage resources for the Section and for the Division.
- Reporting and communication: Ensure timely and comprehensive reporting and documentation as per client, Division, corporate, and donor requirements.
- Resource scheduling: Establish and maintain effective and efficient resource scheduling and workflow management systems and processes for the Section.
- Content and traffic coordination: Coordinate the section’s throughput, optimizing the systems and processes required to absorb client and project inputs and deliver client and project outputs, including sound relationship management.
- Leads team members efforts to collect and analyze data and provides insight to identify trends or patterns for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting. Ensures that everyone can discover, access, integrate and share the data they need.
- Perform any other relevant duties.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of policies and procedures for the creation and maintenance of communication collaterals that ensures a stable and effective systems environment. Highly developed conceptual, analytical and innovative problem-solving ability. Demonstrated ability to handle complex business process and information integration issues. Extensive theoretical background and experience in communications and information management and technologies. Ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements. Demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter. Is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results. Is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns. Shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations.
- COMMUNICATION: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify, and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies. Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required. Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work. Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning. Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary. Uses time efficiently.
- LEADERSHIP: Serves as a role model that other people want to follow. Empowers others to translate vision into results. Is proactive in developing strategies to accomplish objectives. Establishes and maintains relationships with a broad range of people to understand needs and gain support. Anticipates and resolves conflicts by pursuing mutually agreeable solutions. Drives for change and improvement; does not accept the status quo. Shows the courage to take unpopular stands. Provides leadership and takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work; demonstrates knowledge of strategies and commitment to the goal of gender balance in staffing.
- JUDGEMENT/DECISION MAKING: Identifies the key issues in a complex situation, and comes to the heart of the problem quickly. Gathers relevant information before making a decision. Considers positive and negative impacts of decisions prior to making them. Takes decisions with an eye to the impact on others and on the Organization. Proposes a course of action or makes a recommendation based on all available information. Checks assumptions against facts. Determines that the actions proposed will satisfy the expressed and underlying needs for the decision. Makes tough decisions when necessary.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business or public administration, communication or organizational management, marketing, advertising, computer or information systems or related area. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in communication, media production, publishing, or related field is required.
- Experience in senior editorial management for a top-tier media, publishing outlet or international organization is desirable.
- Experience with digital publishing in different digital formats including pdf, EPUB, XML, mobi, or similar, is desirable.
- Experience working in a science or environmental organization is desirable.
- Experience managing a team in a multi-cultural environment is desirable.
- Experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this position fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another UN official language is desirable.
MIKE Data Analyst Consultant
Duties and Responsibilities
- The United Nations Environment Programme (UN Environment) is the leading global environmental authority that sets the global environmental agenda, promotes the coherent implementation of the environmental dimension of sustainable development within the United Nations system and serves as an authoritative advocate for the global environment. The Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) is an international agreement between states. Its aim is to ensure that international trade in specimens of wild animals and plants does not threaten their survival (www.cites.org). The CITES Secretariat is administered by UN Environment and is located at the Geneva duty station.
- This assignment is part of the CITES Secretariat’s work under the Outreach and Projects Unit, to be carried out in support of the Central Coordination Unit of the Monitoring Illegal Killing of Elephants (MIKE) programme, and will involve tasks related to analysis of MIKE site data on the illegal killing of elephants.
Under the overall supervision of Chief, Outreach and Projects Unit, the MIKE Data Analyst consultant will:
- Ensure that all MIKE site elephant mortality data received by the MIKE Central Coordination Unit (MIKE CCU) for 2022 is entered into the MIKE online database, and verified as needed through follow up with MIKE CCU staff and site and national focal points;
- Undertake analysis of all MIKE site elephant mortality data received by the MIKE CCU for 2022, and produce trend analyses for Africa (including analyses of the four sub-regions of west, central, eastern and southern Africa) and Asia, of the proportion of illegally killed elephants;
- Prepare a draft report of the results of the trend analyses (continental and sub-regional) and present to the MIKE-ETIS Technical Advisory Group and MIKE CCU to obtain feedback;
- Revise the draft report, taking into account feedback from the MIKE-ETIS Technical Advisory Group, the MIKE CCU and Secretariat staff, to prepare a final report for submission to the MIKE CCU; and
- Any other related tasks as may be required or assigned by the supervisor.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in statistics, environmental statistics, environmental science, or related fields is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two (2) additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- At least five years of relevant work experience in data analytics, including the use of data analysis systems and software is required.
- Experience with international organizations is an advantage
- Experience in preparation of presentations and reports is desirable
- Knowledge of R statistical software is required.
- Solid overall computer literacy, including proficiency in various MS Office applications (Excel, Word, etc.) and email/internet; knowledge of database management; and office technology equipment;
- Ability to work and adapt professionally and effectively in a challenging environment; ability to work effectively in a multicultural team of international and national personnel;
- Self-motivated, ability to work with minimum supervision; ability to work with tight deadlines;
- Have affinity with or interest in conservation and sustainable use of wildlife, and the UN System
- Required knowledge of languages:
- Fluency in spoken and written English is required;
- Working knowledge of French is an advantage.