NGO jobs, UN jobs, Public Administration jobs, Project Management jobs, Research jobs, Business Analysis jobs,
Associate Programme Management Officer, P2
The Associate Programme Management Officer reports to the Human Settlements Officer and will be responsible for the following duties:
- Works with key clients and stakeholders to facilitate the development, implementation and evaluation of assigned programmes/projects, related to land tenure and land information in various countries, ; monitors and analyzes specific aspects of programme/project development and implementation; reviews relevant documents and reports; identifies problems and issues to be addressed and recommends corrective actions; liaises with relevant parties; identifies and tracks follow-up actions.
- Carries out basic research on selected aspects of programmes, operations and other activities related to land tenure, land information and fit-for-purpose land administration , to include collecting, analyzing and presenting literature reviews, statistical data and other information gathered from diverse sources.
- Provides substantive and technical support for policy coordination and evaluation functions and land tools development and implementation including the review and analysis of emerging issues and trends on similar projects and tools, participation in evaluations or research activities and studies.
- Assists in performing consulting assignments, in collaboration with the client, by planning facilitating workshops, through other interactive sessions and assisting in developing the action plan the client will use to manage the change.
- Participates in survey, participatory enumeration and mapping initiatives; assists with design of data collection tools; issues data collection tools, reviews, analyzes and interprets responses, identifies problems/issues and prepares preliminary conclusions.
- Contributes to the preparation of various written outputs, e.g. draft background papers, analytical notes, sections of reports and studies, inputs to publications, conference papers.
- Provides administrative and substantive support to consultative and other meetings, conferences to include proposing agenda topics, identifying and proposed participants, preparation of background documents and presentations, handling logistics, preparing proceedings.
- Undertakes outreach activities; participates in the development of training workshops, seminars, learning exchanges, related to land tenure and land information; participates in and makes presentations on assigned topics/activities.
- Participates in field missions, including provision of substantive and administrative support, data collection, technical advice.
- Coordinates activities related to budget funding (programme/project preparation and submissions, progress reports, financial statements) and preparation of related documents/reports (pledging, work programme, programme budget, project proposals,).
- Provide technical support in the development and application of appropriate land information systems and tools for the purpose of tenure security, slum upgrading, housing and urban planning in collaboration with other UN-Habitat offices and key partners;
- Undertake the design, development, updating, upgrading, review and testing of the Social Tenure Domain Model (STDM) and related land information tools towards securing land and property rights for all and contributing to achieving the objectives of the New Urban Agenda and Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs);
- Contributes to the collection and analysis of data as well as identification of trends or patterns and provides draft insights through graphs, charts, tables and reports using data visualization methods for data-driven planning, decision-making, presentation and reporting.
- Performs other duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM : Knowledge and understanding of theories, concepts and approaches relevant to business administration, management, economics, land management/land administration, land economy, surveying / geomatics. Ability to identify issues, analyze and participate in the resolution of issues/problems. Ability to assist with data collection using various methods. Conceptual analytical and evaluative skills to conduct independent research and analysis, including familiarity with and experience in the use of various research sources, including electronic sources on the internet, intranet and other databases. Ability to apply judgment in the context of assignments given, plan own work and manage conflicting priorities. The ability to analyze and interpret data in support of decision-making and convey resulting information to management. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- TEAMWORK: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; places team agenda before personal agenda; supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- PLANNING & ORGANIZING : Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in business administration, management, economics, land management/land administration, land economy, surveying / geomatics, Computer Science, GIS Programming/ Design and Database Programming or related field is required. A first-level university degree in combination with two additional years of qualifying experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Successful completion of both degree and non-degree programs in data analytics, business analytics or data science programs is desirable.
- A minimum of two years of progressively responsible experience in project/programme management related to land administration and land information, or related area is required.
- Experience working with an international organization at the global, regional, or national level is required.
- Experience working in conflict- or disaster-affected contexts is desirable.
- Research experience in fields related to housing, urban development, and/or informal settlements is desirable.
- Experience in coordinating humanitarian response at global, national or sub-national level is desirable.
- Experience in organizing events and training sessions, including preparing relevant support documents is desirable.
- Experience in implementing projects that secure women’s land rights is desirable.
- Experience in working with displacement-affected populations is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the position advertised, fluency in oral and written English and French is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is desirable.
SDG Localization Expert (Banjul)
Duties and Responsibilities
The consultant will carry out the following tasks and responsibilities:
- Data collection: working with relevant partners and departments in Banjul City to collect the relevant data against the Global Urban Monitoring Framework
- Data cleaning: The consultant will be responsible for cleaning the vector data to properly analyze the data generated by piloting the Global Urban Monitoring Framework.
- Generate map-based analysis: based on the cleaned data, the consultant will submit a series of analytical maps (tool: Spatial SWOT) to analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the territory, and the opportunities and threats faced in the territory.
Stakeholder’s Engagement Track
- Working with different stakeholders, including local community representatives, the consultants will support the organization of consultation forums to:
- Review the data and collect additional qualitative information.
- Present and discuss the spatial SWOT, and to prioritize issues as perceived by different stakeholders.
- Discuss the SDG Discussion Papers
- Finalization of vision and strategic objectives and long list of projects for submission to the Mayor for approval.
SDG Research Track
- The consultant will draft SDG Discussion Papers that will provide a detailed overview of the status of progress towards the SDGs of Banjul City. Based on the data cleaned and analyzed (through the UMF) as well as on the basis of the information collected through the stakeholder engagement process (situation analysis described above, The SDG Discussion papers will constitute the core of the VLR and the basis for the development of the vision, strategic objectives, list of projects and action plan for Banjul.
- The consultant will be working under the direct supervision of the Human Settlements Officer of the SDG Localization and Local Governments Team of the Urban Practices Branch of UN-Habitat HQ, Nairobi. S/he will be responsible for contributing to the implementation of the activities in Banjul City linked to the Fostering COVID-19 recovery and SDG implementation through local action in Asia-Pacific, Arab and African countries project. The work and supervision of the consultant will be coordinated with the technical focal points of the city of Banjul as well as with all the implementing partners of the project.
- A Masters Degree or equivalent in sustainable development, urban planning, data and statistics, urban or local governance, urban management, public administration or a related field is required
- A minimum of five (5) years of experience in project/programme management, data analysis and research or related area is required
- Experience working on the development and publication of city reports is highly desirable, as well as previous experience of working with the SDGs at the local level. Knowledge of the local context of the city of Banjul or experience with the City Council is desirable.
- Fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of Mandinka or Wolof is an asset.
Closing Date:04 October 2023.