Communications jobs, Journalism jobs, Marketing jobs, Public Relations jobs, Internships, Media jobs, Advertising jobs, Branding jobs, Human Resources jobs, Administration jobs,
Human Resources Assistant (Mutiple Tjo) 6 Months [Temporary], G6
- Those positions are located in the United Nations Office at Nairobi (UNON), Human Resources Management Service (HRMS), Talent Management Centre (TMC). The Human Resources Assistant will report to the Human Resources Officer. Within delegated authority, the incumbent will be responsible for the following duties:
- Assist in processing vacancy announcements.
- Participates in the selection of candidates for secretarial, clerical and related categories positions, including evaluating and screening applications of such candidates, preparing profiles of candidates, and conducting preliminary interviews, and conducting roster searches for vacancies and identifying short-lists of candidates.
- Assists in the filling of posts for all categories, including initiating and following-up on reference checks and academic verifications, ensuring the completion of the pre-recruitment formalities, calculating salaries and related benefits, and preparing and dispatching offers of appointment and Statement of Emoluments.
- Assists in the recruitment of consultants and individual contracts, including posting of job openings, review and placement of consultants and individual contractors.
- Assists in organizing and coordinating competitive recruitment examinations.
- Oversees the maintenance of vacancy announcement files and tracking status of vacancy announcements.
- Reviews and processes personnel actions through the Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems (known as Umoja in the UN).
- Assists in the organization and conducts of training courses and workshops.
- Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification.
- Provides advice and answers general queries on classification procedures and processes.
- Assist on local outreach initiatives to attract potential talent e.g., university career fairs, online webinars, social media platforms like LinkedIn, etc.
- Assist on local head-hunting initiatives to attract potential talent to apply for advertised vacancies.
- Assist in the building and maintenance of rosters for pre-qualified candidates across critical Job families for ease of recruitment during surge or urgent recruitments.
- Maintains HR related automated systems and applications including automated databases containing HR related statistics and prepares periodic reports.
- Undertakes research on a range of HR related issues and assists in the preparation of notes/reports.
- Provides general office support services; processes, drafts, edits, proofreads and finalizes for signature/approval a variety of correspondence and other communications; sets up and maintains files/records (electronic and paper); schedules appointments/meetings, monitors deadlines, etc.
- Prepares written response to queries concerning HR related matters.
- Trains and provides supervision to new and lower-level staff in the unit.
- Assists with the collection and analysis of data as well as preparation of data presentations and reports for information sharing, responding to queries, knowledge management, planning and decision making.
- Assists with visualizations and updating information material such as web pages or brochures.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- PROFESSIONALISM: Knowledge of human resources policies, procedures and practices and ability to interpret and apply them in an organizational setting. Demonstrates use of initiative and makes appropriate linkages in work requirements and anticipates next steps. The ability to perform analysis, modeling and interpretation of data in support of decision-making. Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- PLANNING AND ORGANIZING: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; uses time efficiently.
- CLIENT ORIENTATION: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view; establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect; identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions; monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems; keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects; meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
- Completion of High school diploma or equivalent is required.
- Supplemental training in human resources, administration or related area is required.
- Bachelor’s degree in human resources, business administration or and related area is desirable.
- A minimum of seven (7) years of progressive work experience in human resources, administration or related field is required out of which 2 years should be in recruitment. The minimum years of relevant experience is reduced by two years for candidates who possess a first level University degree.
- Experience in the whole recruitment process from vacancy building to onboarding of staff is required.
- Experience in the use of recruitment and outreach tools like PeopleSoft or Inspira is required.
- Experience in using Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) systems such as SAP is desirable.
- Experience in the engagement and processing of consultant and individual contractor contracts is desirable.
- One (1) year or more of experience in data analytics or related area is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another United Nations language is desirable.
Intern – Communication, I (Temporary)
- Interns work five days per week (35 hours) under the supervision of a staff member in the department or office to which they are assigned.
- Daily responsibilities will depend on the individual’s background, the intern’s assigned office as well as the internship period.
Under the direct supervision of the team lead, the intern will assist with the following duties and responsibilities:
- Regularly update the UN internet websites and UNON intranet sites with project articles and stories in support of the overall CFCP Communication Strategy.
- Support development of the CFCP social media strategy and coordinate its implementation.
- Serve as focal point for CFCP social media accounts. Monitor and moderate comments on social media posts, intervening as appropriate to guide a story/conversation.
- Prepare brochures, presentations and other marketing material to solicit Voluntary Contributions or in-kind contributions from Member States and other potential donors for various aspects of the project.
- Draft/compile information and communication products for target audiences, including press releases, reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, etc.
- Focus communication on project updates including the ‘sustainability’ and ‘accessibility for persons with disabilities’ initiatives, which are key drivers of the project.
- Organize or participate in the organization of conferences, press briefings, meetings etc; prepares presentations and briefing materials for officials prior to their participation in such events.
- Works with the United Nations Information Centre (UNIC) and Visitors Service to share information and create awareness on the CFCP.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Communication: Speaks and writes clearly and effectively. Listens to others, correctly interprets messages from others and responds appropriately. Asks questions to clarify and exhibits interest in having two-way communication. Tailors language, tone, style and format to match the audience. Demonstrates openness in sharing information and keeping people informed.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals. Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others. Places team agenda before personal agenda. Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position. Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Client orientation: Considers all those to whom services are provided to be “clients” and seeks to see things from clients’ point of view. Establishes and maintains productive partnerships with clients by gaining their trust and respect. Identifies clients’ needs and matches them to appropriate solutions. Monitors ongoing developments inside and outside the clients’ environment to keep informed and anticipate problems. Keeps clients informed of progress or setbacks in projects. Meets timeline for delivery of products or services to client.
Education Applicants must at the time of application meet one of the following requirements:
- Be enrolled in a graduate school programme (second university degree or equivalent, or higher).
- Be enrolled in the final academic year of a first university degree program (minimum Bachelor’s level or equivalent).
- Have graduated with Bachelor’s degree, Masters, PhD or equivalent.
- Be computer literate in standard software applications (Microsoft Office, PowerPoint, etc.).
- Have demonstrated a keen interest in the work of the United Nations and have a personal commitment to the ideals of the Charter.
- Have a demonstrated ability to successfully interact with individuals of different cultural backgrounds and beliefs, which includes a willingness to try and understand and be tolerant of differing opinions and views.
Preferred areas of studies:
- Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, Public Information or any other related field of study.
- No working experience is required to apply for the United Nations Internship Programme. Your training, education, advance course work or skills should benefit the United Nations during your internship.
- Experience in social media, public information, journalism, communication, media affairs, campaigns or events of public interest, or related area is required.
- Experience in developing information/communications products for target audiences such press releases, reports, brochures, briefings, video clips, newsletters, catalogues is desirable.
- Knowledge of video editing and graphic editing tools is desirable.
- English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For this internship position, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official UN language is desirable.
Closing Date: 10 October 2023.