Ongoing Recruitment UN Jobs 2023
Submit your CV now
Environmental Sciences jobs, Project Planning and Management jobs, Natural Resources management jobs, Environmental Health jobs, Environmental Engineering jobs,
Project Officer – Environmental Compliance
- The Project Officer – Environmental Compliance will lead and be accountable for full compliance to USAID environmental regulations and associated deliverables under the Nawiri program, as well as GoK environmental regulations at the county level. This includes understanding these regulations and deliverables and their operationalization within the ASAL context. The position will also be expected to generate and regularly updates on Nawiri’s environmental deliverables as required. As environmental compliance is not the sole responsibility of one person, staff capacity building is essential across a large and diverse team to ensure integration of environmental safeguarding issues across interventions. On site monitoring of activities and tracking of associated indicators must be implemented in close partnership with the key county and national government departments and the project’s monitoring, evaluation and learning team. The environmental compliance officer will work directly and report to the Environmental Safeguards Manager, and in close collaboration with all program leads.
- Conduct regular monitoring of Nawiri consortium activities to ensure full compliance with USAID environmental compliance regulations. Share the results of this monitoring in a timely manner and follow-up on recommendations given.
- Ensure Climate Risk Management mitigation measures are implemented as per the IEE recommendations.
- Work closely with team members, partners, and local government to build their capacity on environmental management, specifically focusing on strengthening institutional capacity, improving environmental quality and the sustainable management of natural resources, and promoting equitable solutions in managing commons such as climate change, sustainability, biodiversity conservation and others.
- Undertake quarterly environmental monitoring and evaluation of program activities against environmental regulations and standards. Take lead on developing and delivering a series of spot checks to ensure that proposed mitigation measures are properly implemented in line with the guidelines and unforeseen environmental and human health impacts are minimized. Prepare report (quarterly, field monitoring) on the safeguard risks with appropriate actions to be taken and ensure that timely actions are taken.
- Facilitate the preparation and updating of environmental safeguard lessons/results as per USAID’s requirements.
- Work in close collaboration with the M&E team to ensure that all the required environmental indicators are properly aligned and tracked with the overall M&E plan.
- Conduct assessments and advise teams on the environmental implications of planned activities.
- Coordinate with external stakeholders and contractors.
- Contribute to maintaining relationships with donors, peer organizations and other institutions, participate in forums in the area of environment to collect and share best practices.
Required/Desired Foreign Language:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; ability to draft and edit reports.
- Excellent verbal communication skills in Kiswahili.
- The position will be based in Marsabit ,with occasional support for Isiolo County, with 60 % frequent travels to project sites in the respective sub counties.
Key Working Relationships:
- Supervisory: None
- Internal: Environmental Safeguards Manager, County Systems Strengthening Specialist, County Health & Nutrition Manager, County Graduation Manager, County Food systems Specialist, County Research Coordinator, Gender & Social Dynamics Specialist, County M&E Specialist, County Learning & Accountability Specialists, Nawiri subcounty program team and Nawiri consortium partner staff.
- External: County government of Marsabit staffs especially Ministry of Environment & Water, Ministry of Health, Ministry of Agriculture & Livestock, NEMA, Public Administration and Civic engagement and other related government bodies and authorities, Local Implementing partners and private sector service provider
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Degree in Environmental Sciences, Environmental Planning and Management, Natural Resources management, Environmental Health and Environmental Engineering or related field.
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO, with relevant field-based experience in environment safeguarding issues.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of GoK environmental regulations and USAID environmental compliance experience.
- Demonstrated experience working in some or all of the following: environmental safeguarding, climate risk management, conservation, biodiversity management, capacity building, environmental impact assessment and auditing.
- Knowledge of and experience working with complex MEAL systems and indicator tracking
- Experience working on technical sectors covered under the Nawiri project (nutrition, health, livelihoods, WASH, DRR, livestock, food systems, business sustainability etc.)
- Experience working with USAID as a donor preferred.
- Experience working in Marsabit County and/or the Kenyan ASALs is a plus.
- Registration with NEMA as a Lead/Associate Expert in Environmental Impact Assessment.
- Good self-management and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills in the English language.
- Able to live in an environment where everyday comforts may not be readily available.
- Demonstrated commitment to respect, equity, diversity and inclusion including gender equality.
Agency-wide REDI Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Personal Accountability
- Acts with Integrity
- Builds and Maintains Trust
- Collaborates with Others
- Open to Learn
- Strategic Mindset
- Develops and Recognizes Others
- Leads Change
IMPORTANT: Write a Perfect Cover Letter in minutes and start getting interviews! Get expert advice as you write.) Use These Examples Proven to Work.