Win 100% Scholarship Get UN and NGO Jobs
5 lucky winners. Join NOW for Free
Find details here
Data Science jobs, Research jobs,
MMC Research Officer
Overall purpose of the role:
The overall purpose of the role is to support the Mixed Migration Centre in Eastern and Southern Africa Egypt and Yemen with the publication of timely and high-quality research to inform policy and programming – especially in the Horn of Africa. MMC is looking for a highly motivated researcher dedicated to maintaining MMC’s position as a leading voice in migration research in the region and to participating and representing MMC in relevant research, programming and policy events and coordination bodies.
(NOTE: Win 100% Scholarship Get UN and NGO Jobs. 5 lucky winners. Join NOW for Free Get More Details Here.)
Under the supervision of the Head of MMC ESA in Nairobi and the technical supervision of MMC ESA’s Research and Policy Specialist, the successful candidate will be chiefly responsible for analyzing quantitative data, but also collecting and analyzing qualitative data; regularly monitoring emerging mixed migration trends and dynamics across the countries and regions of focus of the MMC hub; drafting and editing a range of high-quality publications; representing MMC as needed in different forums with key migration stakeholders; lending support to reporting and fundraising activities; actively shaping MMC’s research agenda and processes in the region; and contributing the research dissemination, among other responsibilities.
Data Collection and Analysis
- Develop the research design for new MMC research projects and working with programming partners to develop concept notes for their data and information needs.
- Conduct quantitative and qualitative data analysis for MMC, coding and labelling variables to be used in qualitative analysis, developing analytical models for research products, and feeding into data collection processes.
- Travel for data collection trips to MMC’s country’s and areas of operation and liaise with local counterparts.
- Contribute to the design of qualitative and quantitative questionnaires and sampling frames for data collection
- Support with the visualization of data.
- Stay up-to-date on the latest mixed migration research from the Eastern and Southern Africa region as well as Egypt and Yemen, and along the Eastern Route towards the Arabian Peninsula, the routes north towards the Mediterranean (i.e., the Central Mediterranean Route), the Southern Route towards South Africa, as well as intra-regional migration routes.
- Stay up to data on the latest research methods and techniques used in the field of migration and examine new ways to apply them to MMC research.
- Regularly explore new ways to analyze MMC data for different publication formats (snapshots, briefing papers, research reports).
- Regularly produce internal briefings notes, Snapshots, Quarterly Mixed Migration Updates, and more extended Research Reports and Briefing Papers.
- Input into the MMC Research Agenda.
- In coordination with the 4Mi project team, contribute to processes for research formulation and collaboration.
- Engage humanitarian and development programming staff to identify data and research gaps MMC can fill, respond to information requests, and support sector-level information-gathering.
Research Dissemination and Engagement
- Contribute to the planning and convening of research dissemination events.
- In coordination with MMC and DRC staff, communicate MMC’s research objectives to DRC teams at the country and regional.
- Liaise with counterparts at peer INGOs and UN agencies to inform MMC research agenda and strategy through bilateral engagements and through appropriate country-level and regional forums/working groups.
- Promote the use of MMC data and research by humanitarian and development partners in programming and in advocacy/outreach/awareness-raising initiatives and more broadly strengthen MMC’s work to impact programs and policy.
- Interface with other researchers and research organizations operating within the region to ensure non-duplication, to work collaboratively, and to participate in local capacity building.
- Contribute to MMC reporting of its research activities on a quarterly or as-needed basis.
- In coordination with the MMC Regional Manager and 4Mi Project Manager, participate in fundraising activities and grant writing and in expanding MMC’s funding base. This includes scanning for new opportunities.
In this position, you are expected to demonstrate DRC’s five core competencies:
- Striving for excellence: You focus on reaching results while ensuring an efficient process.
- Collaborating: You involve relevant parties and encourage feedback.
- Taking the lead: You take ownership and initiative while aiming for innovation.
- Communicating: You listen and speak effectively and honestly.
- Demonstrating integrity: You act in line with our vision and values.
Qualifications and Experience
- Master’s degree in development economics, migration or refugee studies, or other social sciences.
- Demonstrated coursework and independent research in the field of migration or refugee studies is highly desirable.
- At least 5 years of experience working in a research or academic context;
- Demonstrated experience in producing single-authored, high-quality publications in the field of migration;
- Demonstrated experience in primary data collection and analysis (with knowledge of quantitative data analysis software);
- Demonstrated understanding of current mixed migration debates and dynamics in the region is an asset;
- Previous experience working with international NGOs is an asset.