Get a job with the UN, NGOs & International Organisations
Good Salary and career progression
Find details here
Media jobs, Advertising jobs, Branding jobs,
Africa Communications Director
It’s an exciting time to be part of Habitat for Humanity International, HFHI, in Africa! Habitat has recently centered its operations for Africa in Nairobi, Kenya as part of its Global Impact 2025 initiative. This is a dramatic change initiative aimed at tripling our scale, impact and funding by 2025. As part of our rapidly growing regional team, you will be a critical member in helping Habitat realize that vision.
The Africa hub manages Habitat’s operations across the region, including Lesotho, South Africa, Tanzania, Cote d’Ivoire, Uganda, Kenya, Ethiopia, Zambia, and Malawi. Nairobi provides access to some of the largest institutions and organizations shaping eastern Africa today. The Africa team plays a pivotal role in building Habitat’s brand in the market and helping elevate housing as a critical part of the solution to the complex challenges facing this region.
We are looking for candidates who are driven, resourceful and want desperately to help as many families as possible build strength and stability through housing. We want people who are uncompromisingly committed to Habitat for Humanity’s vision and core values of courage (to do what’s right), accountability (to take personal responsibility for the mission and our actions) and humility (to remember that we are part of something bigger than ourselves). Together, we will achieve a world where everyone has a decent place to live.
About The Role
The Africa Communications Director leads communications related to Habitat’s work in sub-Saharan Africa, promoting the Habitat brand with targeted audiences in the region and around the world in concert with Habitat’s overall brand strategy. This key role is a member of the management team responsible for overall strategic direction and the effectiveness of Habitat’s work in the region. Reporting to the Senior Director, International Communications, based in the US, this position manages the creation of compelling content and identifies strategically important platforms, channels and initiatives in the region for delivering that content to advance Habitat’s brand awareness, advocacy efforts, programs and fundraising through Habitat’s global donor network. The Communications Director also works closely with the Africa Hub Senior Director to support regional events, message development and other efforts to strengthen Habitat’s positioning in sub-Saharan Africa. Both strategic and hands-on, this role is responsible for developing collaborative relationships at various levels of the organization, from other Global Communications department staff to fundraising, advocacy and program staff to leadership and communications leads at national organizations, branches and other Habitat offices in the region.
LOCATION AND TRAVEL: This role is based at our office in Nairobi, Kenya with up to 15% international travel.
Communications strategy (20%)
- Collaborate closely with the Senior Director, International Communications, and others on the International Communications team to develop and implement aspects of the international communications strategy related to sub-Saharan Africa.
- Work with the Africa Hub Senior Director and management team to develop communications strategies that help advance regional initiatives related to brand-building, programs, advocacy and fundraising, with a special emphasis on meeting the needs of Habitat’s global network of donors and supporters.
Storytelling and Brand-Building (25%):
- Lead the development of content for key communications platforms, ensuring projects are consistent with organizational brand strategy and Africa Hub strategy.
- Play a lead role in identifying the communications channels, platforms and events in the region that can best deliver Habitat’s content to audiences that are strategically important for brand positioning, fundraising, advocacy and/or programs. This includes securing media coverage of Habitat’s work and strategic initiatives across broadcast, radio, print and online media in sub-Saharan Africa.
(NOTE: Get a 6 Figure Salary Even Without a Degree or Masters working with NGOs and the UN. Get More Details Here.)
Program Communications (25%)
- Help interpret Habitat’s programming and expertise for strategically important audiences by preparing both the messaging and the messengers.
- Support Habitat fundraisers with the necessary communications collateral related to programs in sub-Saharan Africa so that they can continue to gain support from Habitat’s global network of donors.
- Support subject matter experts and other program staff by editing presentations or developing talking points.
Regional Signature Events (20%)
- Lead on communications planning and implementation for the regional signature events such as Habitat’s Africa Housing Forum, AfriCities Summit and others.
Social Media (10%)
- Support social media efforts related to sub-Saharan Africa. This includes developing regional and local content/materials, working with national organizations and International Communications colleagues to ensure timely, accurate, compelling information about Habitat’s work in Africa is shared across a range of social media platforms.
- Support national organizations in Africa in their social media activities and increase supporter engagement.
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field.
- 10+ years of related experience in regional communications work across multiple countries, especially managing regional projects with multiple stakeholders.
- 3+ years of experience with media relations in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Experience developing successful communications strategies that help advance both larger organizational objectives and those of a particular team or initiative within an organization.
- Proficiency in building creative concepts and demonstrated ability to see storytelling projects through to completion, including both written and visual aspects.
- Proven ability to write, edit, evaluate and curate strong content and design, while meeting brand, marketing and messaging needs.
- Strong communications and problem-solving skills.
- Strong interpersonal and cross-cultural competencies and organizational and project management skills that demonstrate an ability to successfully collaborate with a variety of departments and stakeholders.
- Active support of HFHI values and commitments:
Humility – We are part of something bigger than ourselves.
Courage – We do what’s right, even when it is difficult or unpopular.
Accountability – We take personal responsibility for Habitat’s mission.
Safeguarding – HFHI requires that all employees take seriously their ethical responsibilities to safeguarding our intended beneficiaries, their communities (especially children), and all those with whom we work. In line with the prevention of sexual exploitation and abuse, all staff must pass a thorough background screening and will be held accountable to upholding our policies around ethical behavior, including safeguarding and whistleblowing.
- Previous nonprofit or NGO experience.
- Experience with international development and social change.
- Deep knowledge of and experience in sub-Saharan Africa.
DEADLINE: Apply online by 30 November 2021.